Yellow assessors in groups

dotty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Sorry for another post, still planning out my 90 gallon aquarium. I decided to have a group of 4-5 yellow assessors in there. Would they be fine in a group?

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely,

I kept three yellows and a single blue in my old 65. Very peaceful tank mates are a must if you want to see them, otherwise they'll spend most all of their time hiding in the rock work.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 pairs of assessors in my tank. Both breed semi regularly! A pair of yellows and a pair of Randall’s. There is some infighting here and there and they banter over nooks and crannies. +1 on the peaceful tank mates. While mine have been in their home for well over a year and will aggressively defend those nooks and crannies from newbies, it still took them a while to come back out of hiding after the addition of my Orange Shoulder even though he has ZERO interest in any of them.

OP
OP
D

dotty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely,

I kept three yellows and a single blue in my old 65. Very peaceful tank mates are a must if you want to see them, otherwise they'll spend most all of their time hiding in the rock work.
Thank you so much! Yea, this will actually be a seahorse dedicated tank rather than a reef so only peaceful tankmates.
the stock list right now is
6 striped seahorse
4 pajama or yellowstriped cardinals
5 yellow assessors
and 4 neon gobies.

Last edited:

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you asked a simular question, I was thinking of adding a yellow plus either a blue or Randall's to my IM 40

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Yea, this will actually be a seahorse dedicated tank rather than a reef so only peaceful tankmates.
the stock list right now is
6 striped seahorse
4 pajama or yellowstriped cardinals
5 yellow assessors
and 4 neon gobies.
Glad you asked a simular question, I was thinking of adding a yellow plus either a blue or Randall's to my IM 40
A word to the wise for each of you. While yellow assessors are not on the aggressive side the male will FEROCIOUSLY defend his egg ball if they start to breed and a sea horse in the crosshairs of a yellow daddy to be might not get away Scott free if he was to wonder a little to close. As far as the Randall’s and the yellow in a 40, just make sure they can each make territory of their own away from one and other or you may only ever see one or the other.

OP
OP
D

dotty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A word to the wise for each of you. While yellow assessors are not on the aggressive side the male will FEROCIOUSLY defend his egg ball if they start to breed and a sea horse in the crosshairs of a yellow daddy to be might not get away Scott free if he was to wonder a little to close. As far as the Randall’s and the yellow in a 40, just make sure they can each make territory of their own away from one and other or you may only ever see one or the other.
Well then thanks for your advice. I never knew that assessors bred that readily. I might just try to remove the eggs quickly. Is it easy raising the eggs?

U

User1

View Badges
I love my yellow assessors. Er, assessor. I do not own a pair. I was doing some research earlier on them but at least what I read most recommended singles. I will say as noted above that they are pretty recluse single. Always in the darker area of the tank upside down swimming around. I thought I lost mine when I didn't see it for a month then one day it comes out and visible to let me know he/she is well.

Mine is captive raised and mostly eats dry pellet. I would love to have more so interesting to see you all here having more than one. Mine is a yellow.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then thanks for your advice. I never knew that assessors bred that readily. I might just try to remove the eggs quickly. Is it easy raising the eggs?
My yellows have been fast to adapt and overcome many issues and new fish to the system and after a short period they start to breed quickly as soon as they adapt. As far as removing and raising the eggs it’s next to impossible for me to get to them so I let daddy yellow do his guard duties while making sure he gets plenty to eat in the process because he rarely leaves the egg balls side. They hatch in a little under a week each time and I have hundreds of more fry that are normally all eaten come morning. Eventually I’ll try a fry trap on a hatching event night and try to raise them. From my research they aren’t super hard to rear beyond meta.

OP
OP
D

dotty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellows have been fast to adapt and overcome many issues and new fish to the system and after a short period they start to breed quickly as soon as they adapt. As far as removing and raising the eggs it’s next to impossible for me to get to them so I let daddy yellow do his guard duties while making sure he gets plenty to eat in the process because he rarely leaves the egg balls side. They hatch in a little under a week each time and I have hundreds of more fry that are normally all eaten come morning. Eventually I’ll try a fry trap on a hatching event night and try to raise them. From my research they aren’t super hard to rear beyond meta.
That seems really cool, I might need a larger tank to keep the assessors with a seahorse together then. Do you have any resources on caring for assessor fry. This is something that I might wanna do in the future but I haven't found much online

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my yellow assessors. Er, assessor. I do not own a pair. I was doing some research earlier on them but at least what I read most recommended singles. I will say as noted above that they are pretty recluse single. Always in the darker area of the tank upside down swimming around. I thought I lost mine when I didn't see it for a month then one day it comes out and visible to let me know he/she is well.

Mine is captive raised and mostly eats dry pellet. I would love to have more so interesting to see you all here having more than one. Mine is a yellow.
The problem with keeping more than one is they are not sexually dimorphic. So you may add a male while you already have a male and that could be a bad day. Especially if they aren’t in a larger system.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems really cool, I might need a larger tank to keep the assessors with a seahorse together then. Do you have any resources on caring for assessor fry. This is something that I might wanna do in the future but I haven't found much online
Not sure if posting links to other forums is breaking any rules but if you use google chrome, you can use it to translate some of the German forums and that’s where you will find some of the best info on rearing assessor fry. However there is threads here rearing other roundhead fry and that will help get you on the right track! How large is the system you were planning?

OP
OP
D

dotty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if posting links to other forums is breaking any rules but if you use google chrome, you can use it to translate some of the German forums and that’s where you will find some of the best info on rearing assessor fry. However there is threads here rearing other roundhead fry and that will help get you on the right track! How large is the system you were planning?
Thank you so much! I was originally thinking 90, but I might do 120 after doing more research.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 yellows is a 90 could be okay with the right aquascaping but 120 would allow more space for other additions!!! Also! Welcome to R2R! Just realized you joined on Sunday!!! Lots of people here that blow my knowledge base outa the water ready to help!!! Another Cali reefer here as well!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Posting links to other forums is absolutely allowed for informational purposes just FYI. ;) If it benefits the conversation, it's fine. :)

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting links to other forums is absolutely allowed for informational purposes just FYI. ;) If it benefits the conversation, it's fine. :)
Awesome thank you for the heads up!!! Here are some links I got a little info from

There are a lot more and like I said some good ones in German if you hunt. These are just the ones I have bookmarked.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back