4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated 10/2017 see below

Alright,

Over the years I have had 6 total yellow belly regal angels. I have successfully gotten three TRUE red sea regals (sourced from NY Aquatics) and also three Sumatra yellow belly regal angels that did NOT make it.

More information, the Sumatra regals allegedly "ate" prior to arrival. One did come from NyAquatic and was fat and healthy appearing when it arrived. It did NOT eat and was dead in 24 hours while everything else continued to do fantastic. The other two were sourced from other vendors and they also never ate and did not survive 7 days.

My red sea regals ALL survived, even in QT with lots of cupramine (the sumatra regals never made it long enough for me to ramp up cupramine, I also wait until they are eating and it never happened). I killed two of my red sea regals during TTM. They went through with other fish, and died of ammonia. The first died on day ONE (fed too much and too many fish with it) and the second died on the FINAL day of TTM, after I fed too heavily the night before. The lesson is that these fish CAN handle TTM but they need LARGE tanks/bins and feed VERY conservatively and remove ALL excess food. You should do this anyway but they're very sensitive to ammonia. Same with Chevron tangs.

So how does one tell the difference between the two?

Well, for one the price. Sumatra yellow bellies cost a lot less. They can be had for $100-$250. True red sea are $210-500.

Red Sea Regals: Have "cleaner" darker markings around the eyes. Their stripes are outlined by darker blue almost approaching black. They also seem to have more red markings on their anal fins. They tend to be a hair more "orange" but this is not a reliable way to tell. The EASIEST way is the color of the hilighted blue markings on the stripes and face. Red Sea Regals have a "cleaner" face with darker markings. They also generally have slightly "straighter" stripes (less curved backward).

Sumatra Yellow Belly regals (and perhaps others) Have a lighter aqua colored stripes. Their face is also broken up and more noticeably striped as a result of this much lighter colored stripe. Their anal fins can be differing amounts of red on them, and their anal fin itself tends to be "larger". Notice the overall shape difference. Notice the blue markings look to be "glowing" aqua, and the markings near the eye are very obvious.

Neither variant is any more or less likely to have misbars or anything like that, IME.

Here are some Red Sea regals.

images
images

Here are sumatra yellow belly regals

images

I honestly have no other experience with other variants of regal angels, so perhaps a few others fall in to this category. But after seeing several, and owning 6 total, I wanted to share my experience and observations.

What experiences do you guys have?

I hope this is helpful!

***10/17 update:
Another few Regals later, my observations are the same. I’ve lost two Red Sea since, one due to power outage. I receive another Sumatra next week, figured I’d challenge my theory again.

I’ve seen several more angels since then and can pick a Sumatra or similar region out of a lineup with ease!

Last edited:

NYAquatic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I'll throw my $0.02 in (or maybe $0.03 with inflation)

I don't mean to disagree with some of your points, but I do beg to differ:

1) Judging source (Red Sea vs Sumatra vs Africa) based on price is dangerous. Yes, Red Sea do cost the retailer a lot more. But many suppliers use "Red Sea" as a generic description for yellow belly regals and happily pocket the extra $$. Sorry, but it's true. Customer asks where it's from. Answer-Red Sea. $$$$
If whereever you're buying it from doesn't have a variety of Red Sea fish to go with it (semis, purples, sohals, etc) be wary.

2) Color variations-Having handled literally hundreds of both, I've never noticed a color difference between them. To be honest, the ones from Africa may be the brightest, but that may also just be because they tend to come in large.

3) Feeding is the key. Once eating, they tend to be a fairly hardy angel.

4) PLEASE DO NOT DO TTM WITH THESE, OR FRANKLY, ANY OTHER FISH. ONE OF THE WORST IDEAS TO HIT THE HOBBY IN A LONG TIME, IMHO (But that will have to be a rant for another thread, LOL)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1) Judging source (Red Sea vs Sumatra vs Africa) based on price is dangerous. Yes, Red Sea do cost the retailer a lot more. But many suppliers use "Red Sea" as a generic description for yellow belly regals and happily pocket the extra $$. Sorry, but it's true. Customer asks where it's from. Answer-Red Sea. $$$$
If whereever you're buying it from doesn't have a variety of Red Sea fish to go with it (semis, purples, sohals, etc) be wary.

2) Color variations-Having handled literally hundreds of both, I've never noticed a color difference between them. To be honest, the ones from Africa may be the brightest, but that may also just be because they tend to come in large.

4) PLEASE DO NOT DO TTM WITH THESE, OR FRANKLY, ANY OTHER FISH. ONE OF THE WORST IDEAS TO HIT THE HOBBY IN A LONG TIME, IMHO (But that will have to be a rant for another thread, LOL)

LOL my experience may well be different but every WYSIWYG for Sumatra and your true Red Sea Angels, those differences appear clear as day to me. (I use your photos and fish as well as a few others like divers den to compare)

I agree that many retailers call any yellow belly a Red Sea nine ways to Sunday though. That's why I said true Red Sea and Sumatra. I have exactly zero experience with any other variant.

Maybe your vision sucks Mike, you do measure fish poorly! Your 4" is a tape measurer's 7". :D

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man I see dozens of these guys on your website and you see hundreds. Send me photos of Sumatra and Red Sea and let's track how many I properly ID?

I'm just curious would be cool experiment!

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know this is an old thread but I was hoping to get your idea on how to quarantine a regal angel. Or do you recommend not quarantine them due to their sensitive nature? I am getting ready to get a regal from you so I want to make sure I get everything right before pulling the trigger.

Thank you in advance!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 5 Regals over the years, and I always QT them in my 30 long invert QT tank because it is setup as a proper reef tank, with live rock for the fish to graze. This helps to keep it feeding as you acclimate to frozen. I cannot reliably tell one yellow belly from another. My first was a grey belly that did not survive. The other four were yellow belly. Three survived longterm for me; the one that did not was a tiny juvenile that I got as a 'rescue' and was very thin already and never ate.

My current one came from another reef tank, so was already eating, but the one prior to that was a tough slog to get it eating competitively. It was a combination of nutramar ova and live brine that eventually did the trick.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 5 Regals over the years, and I always QT them in my 30 long invert QT tank because it is setup as a proper reef tank, with live rock for the fish to graze. This helps to keep it feeding as you acclimate to frozen. I cannot reliably tell one yellow belly from another. My first was a grey belly that did not survive. The other four were yellow belly. Three survived longterm for me; the one that did not was a tiny juvenile that I got as a 'rescue' and was very thin already and never ate.

My current one came from another reef tank, so was already eating, but the one prior to that was a tough slog to get it eating competitively. It was a combination of nutramar ova and live brine that eventually did the trick.

Thanks for the input. I just placed an offer with Michael’s NYAquatics. It’s a 3-4 inch true Red Sea so fingers crossed.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two different Regal's. Juvenile 2.5-3" Orange Regal from Red Sea and was eating right away. He would eat anything put in front of him. He would graze of the rocks as well. Went through a full 9 weeks of copper treatments, 3 rounds of prazi, two weeks of Metro/Kanaplex. I had him roughly a year and a half until my tank crashed due to a pump failure while on vacation and my controller didn't notify me.

The other Regal I picked up a few months back is a juvenile as well (2.75-3"). This one is from the Maldives or possibly Sumatra. He's a true Yellow belly. Just finished the same treatment as above with the exception I did TTM when doing the rounds of prazi as an added precaution. He is as health as can be and has always ate very well. He doesn't pick at the rocks as much as the Red Sea Regal did and stays in the water column more often. Seems to prefer more of a meaty diet also. Not a big fan of nori/veggies. Although he does love ocean nutrition angel formula.

As for the Regals they seem to be potentially a shy fish at first but once acclimated they have a great personality and IME one of the less aggressive angels.

Depending on the source of the fish, handling and transporting they're overall a very hardy fish.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one from the Maldives also. Almost a year now. She is barely 3 inches long. Went through CP in quarantine. Eats anything. Seems to prefer chopped clams along with other Angel food.

Shelley

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it doesn’t have a yellow belly where is it from? I had one once it was always a good eater never had issues with it....
c1fa749f0aa4cc8f63fe4e423c43d3c5.jpg
6798f29c0be7e8bab7421a69685be36d.jpg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indo and South Pacific is what I have read. I also read they have a 15 year lifespan. But cannot remember where I read that.

Shelley

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread.....but i was wondering if any of you guys can identify my little juvi regal i picked up about 20 days ago......

the little guy is currently in QT......no treatment for the first week but noticed symptoms of flukes and did a freshwater dip....the little guy was loaded with them.......started prazi treatment, but he started to get bad again with the symptoms (scratching, twitching, ragged fins) so i suspended the prazi (water change and carbon) and slowly dropped to hypo (1.012), and he is looking great right now.......

The one good thing is he eats like a pig......comes right up to the surface to eat the foot i put in........which is somewhat surprising hearing the stories about how hard they are to get to eat......

Anyway... I would love some input about what type this regal is????

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 68

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread.....but i was wondering if any of you guys can identify my little juvi regal i picked up about 20 days ago......

the little guy is currently in QT......no treatment for the first week but noticed symptoms of flukes and did a freshwater dip....the little guy was loaded with them.......started prazi treatment, but he started to get bad again with the symptoms (scratching, twitching, ragged fins) so i suspended the prazi (water change and carbon) and slowly dropped to hypo (1.012), and he is looking great right now.......

The one good thing is he eats like a pig......comes right up to the surface to eat the foot i put in........which is somewhat surprising hearing the stories about how hard they are to get to eat......

Anyway... I would love some input about what type this regal is????
Most likely a Maldives Yellow Belly Regal. Possibly Red Sea.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a Red Sea yellow belly for at least a year. I qted but didn’t ttm it. Great fish I highly recommend them. Once eating it was smooth sailing. I tried an indo regal before this one never ate just withered away.
27B07134-D44F-4BAF-AAC3-FCCFB282FED0.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a number of Regal angels over the last 14 years or so (about 6). Current pair about 4 years. I cannot tell the different between Red Sea Regals vs Maldive Regals.
My secret is get them small and condition them in a very full of fauna reef tank with no competitor. I always have a pair of clowns in it as dither fish to get them comfortable and eating. There should be comfortable hiding place for them but I have a small stick in this place so I can disturb it to get him out of his hiding place so he can come out and eat.
Once they eat, they really like flakes and pellets, much better than frozen food. Once acclimated to captive condition, they are very easy fish to care for.
First picture is that of a very small Regal angel, about 1 inch, smaller than the female clown it is in QT with. He is healthy and eating well but too small to be release into my tank, so I keep him there for months to get him larger. Mt QT tank is a full 65 gal reef with carpet anemone in it, clams, and corals. It does nto have any fauna predator in it other than the Regal Angel.
The fauna and sponges is a great way to get hard to keep fish acclimated to captivity. I have not fail to acclimate Regal in this setting (or CBB)
BabyRegal2016051202.jpg

RegalAngelYellowChest2016051504.jpg
RegalAngelYellowChest2020041303.jpg

RegalAngel2019052301.jpg
RegalAngel2019100901.jpg
RegalAngel2020031401.jpg
RegalAngelBlueChest2016041001.jpg
RegalAngelYellowChest2020040301.jpeg
RegalAngelYellowChest2020041303.jpg

Back