Yellow Clown Goby Eggs

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ,
I added 3 Yellow Clown Goby`s to my 16 Biocube a few days ago . I found a egg cluster on the glass near the top of the tank YAYYYY :) .
I need advise on getting these eggs to hatch . Should I isolate the cluster to another tank ? Is there any vertebrates that i need to worry about eating the eggs ?
I read that they hatch in approx 5 days and feed them brine shrimp or copepods etc.
Any advice would be great Thanks

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll need a separate tank to house the eggs. Other inhabitants will eat the newly hatched babies

OP
OP
zoso

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the eggs be removed from the glass in a safe manor ? If so how ?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they are clown goby eggs? These fish usually lay their eggs in sps coral stalks. Are the fish caring for the eggs? Can you post a pic?

OP
OP
zoso

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they are clown goby eggs? These fish usually lay their eggs in sps coral stalks. Are the fish caring for the eggs? Can you post a pic?
They are there eggs , no other fish in the tank . Yes they are guarding them . I have read and seen pictures on other sites that they will lay eggs elsewhere, I just need some answers to my questions so I can save them .
Thanks

OP
OP
zoso

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a question on getting them to breed ,, thats been done lol

OP
OP
zoso

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a question on getting them to breed ,, thats been done lol

OP
OP
zoso

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the larvae will need to eat?
For first foods I would go with copepods particularly copepods naupleii. If I recall yellow clown goby larvae are very small and need a small food, but I'm not sure; I'm going by my experience with Spotted Manderins.

OP
OP
zoso

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be worth trying to remove the egg sack from the glass with a razor blade to transfer to a isolated tank ?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larval (dang auto-correct put larvae, they are not bugs lol) trap is best, as that is what I have had to use, since mine never lay eggs where it makes it easy to get. As for food, I have had success with rotifiers, copepods naupleii as @Surfzone mentioned, and then moving to fresh hatched baby brine shrimp/very small pellets. Of course regualr frozen when they get big enough. This was with the Green Clown Gobys (Gobiodon atrangulatus), but I would think pretty much the same thing.

Best of luck if you decide to rear them. I do not have the time anymore, so gave up on the whole ordeal. It is very time consuming for sure.

OP
OP
zoso

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larval (dang auto-correct put larvae, they are not bugs lol) trap is best, as that is what I have had to use, since mine never lay eggs where it makes it easy to get. As for food, I have had success with rotifiers, copepods naupleii as @Surfzone mentioned, and then moving to fresh hatched baby brine shrimp/very small pellets. Of course regualr frozen when they get big enough. This was with the Green Clown Gobys (Gobiodon atrangulatus), but I would think pretty much the same thing.

Best of luck if you decide to rear them. I do not have the time anymore, so gave up on the whole ordeal. It is very time consuming for sure.
Hey Eagle Steve , thank you very much for the informative information . And thank you everyone with your replies to my post . I really love these uniquely bold and intelligent creatures and I feel fortunate that these goby s have felt secure in laying this cluster of eggs. I once long ago bred several tropical frog species most of which were dendrobates and enjoyed witnessing the morphing from egg to tadpole to frog . So I am very excited to watch the rearing of these goby s . I am curious if the adults will eat the larvae upon hatching ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back