Yellow eye kole tang parasite??

Brooks Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 days after QT and now in my display my yellow eye kole tang has developed a brown spot on his tail fin. When the light is on his fin it looks like he has a few more spots. None of the other fish are showing anything but I’ve looked at a few fish disease forums and I’m not seeing anything that matches this. I figured it was a scratch but today I noticed him trying to ‘flash’ just around his tail fin.
It was very hard to get a good photo but this is the best one. He looks very healthy and colorful otherwise.
Any suggestions?

213CA3EA-D43C-48E0-B995-7E34EFB9EC72.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 days after QT and now in my display my yellow eye kole tang has developed a brown spot on his tail fin. When the light is on his fin it looks like he has a few more spots. None of the other fish are showing anything but I’ve looked at a few fish disease forums and I’m not seeing anything that matches this. I figured it was a scratch but today I noticed him trying to ‘flash’ just around his tail fin.
It was very hard to get a good photo but this is the best one. He looks very healthy and colorful otherwise.
Any suggestions?

213CA3EA-D43C-48E0-B995-7E34EFB9EC72.jpeg

Could be bacterial. Any other tangs or aggressive fish with it?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a eye on it for a couple days to see if it goes away. Keep feeding some good quality frozen and provide some nori when you can.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry that I can’t help but for your own future benefit you should crop your pictures to not include any information about where you live.
I’m sure the last thing you need is if you annoy some nut job on here that then decides to come shoot up any house with a blue light in that area.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Add vitamins to its food. What are you feeding as they suffer from vitamin deficiency.
Additionally if it progresses, they do well with a freshwater bath/dip

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Add vitamins to its food. What are you feeding as they suffer from vitamin deficiency.
Additionally if it progresses, they do well with a freshwater bath/dip
What are you treating (a brown spot on a fin) with a freshwater dip?) Just curious.... My suggestion - let it be - if the fish is acting normally - it will resolve on its own - Freshwater dips cause stress - and lowered immune function according to many threads here.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What are you treating (a brown spot on a fin) with a freshwater dip?) Just curious.... My suggestion - let it be - if the fish is acting normally - it will resolve on its own - Freshwater dips cause stress - and lowered immune function according to many threads here.

Read my message fully- IF . . . I F it progresses, then consider a dip. 30+ years in hobby, I know it causes stress and therefore recommend focus on diet and vitamins. Fish will have spots, nicks etc as it is the nature of a closed environment.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Read my message fully- IF . . . I F it progresses, then consider a dip. 30+ years in hobby, I know it causes stress and therefore recommend focus on diet and vitamins. Fish will have spots, nicks etc as it is the nature of a closed environment.
Right - Read my post - and answer it lol: ) I only asked (whether it progresses to not) - what causes a brown spot on a tang that might be helped by a fw dip? No need to be defensive. It wasn't meant to question your judgement - just what you thought might be causing the problem. IMHO one of the problems on this and many sites is that the 'generic things' are recommended with no idea 'why' they're being recommended. For example, try methylene blue, try formalin, try x, y, z, try a freshwater dip, try vitamins, etc. To me (and perhaps its just me) - before recommending something - I would say something like 'the most likely thing is xxxx', the best starting treatment is yyyyyy, because zzzzzzz. But thats just me. I didnt mean to criticize your advice at all

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Right - Read my post - and answer it lol: ) I only asked (whether it progresses to not) - what causes a brown spot on a tang that might be helped by a fw dip? No need to be defensive. It wasn't meant to question your judgement - just what you thought might be causing the problem. IMHO one of the problems on this and many sites is that the 'generic things' are recommended with no idea 'why' they're being recommended. For example, try methylene blue, try formalin, try x, y, z, try a freshwater dip, try vitamins, etc. To me (and perhaps its just me) - before recommending something - I would say something like 'the most likely thing is xxxx', the best starting treatment is yyyyyy, because zzzzzzz. But thats just me. I didnt mean to criticize your advice at all

All good. People do need to positively identify and treat the cause rather than assumption and use of wrong meds especially when meds are not required. Many end up with a medicine chest and never has a cause for treatment.
Now, I was at the pet store today and noticed fish with a blotch and raised scales ( you and I know as Dropsy). They Did NOT and that is scary especially when they had the very treatment on their shelves.
A simple spot or dot as you indicated is No cause for alarm unless it progresses and therefore nothing than monitoring. Too many time, hobbyist see something on their fish to notice it vanished the next day and never came back. Part of the mystery of this hobby !!

happy-holidays.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All good. People do need to positively identify and treat the cause rather than assumption and use of wrong meds especially when meds are not required. Many end up with a medicine chest and never has a cause for treatment.
Now, I was at the pet store today and noticed fish with a blotch and raised scales ( you and I know as Dropsy). They Did NOT and that is scary especially when they had the very treatment on their shelves.
A simple spot or dot as you indicated is No cause for alarm unless it progresses and therefore nothing than monitoring. Too many time, hobbyist see something on their fish to notice it vanished the next day and never came back. Part of the mystery of this hobby !!

happy-holidays.jpg
Merry Christmas:)

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back