Yellow tang breathing hard

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all my fish are in a qt with copper and i just got the yellow tang maybe a week ago, i have not added any more copper and he has been fine up until today and is breathing very hard n barely moving around. Everyone else is fine tho!

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it died... Here are some pics. Can someone tell me what they think happened please. It died out of nowhere
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1448151887.378233.jpg
t
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1448151899.424431.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1448151908.266467.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Help me obewan kenobe, your my only hope. lol

Seriously though, I see holes on the face and lateral line of this tang. Not to mention the jacked up eye on the opposite side. What do you think?

Merlberg- Did you complete your 30 days of copper on the fish that had ich?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the Cu level to ensure it is within therapeutic range? And not above or below the range?

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured the holes were after he died bcause i did see the puffer go after his dead body but prior to tht the puffer never bothered him. This morning he was fine up until a little while ago. I do knw the humu still sometimes go after it here n there.

Yes i did complete the 30 days but i wanted to leave the copper in there until it was time to put everyone in thr new tank. What do you think happened @melypr1985

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the Cu level to ensure it is within therapeutic range? And not above or below the range?

The thing is using copper power i go by this chart amd from the looks of it, it looks like it is within range and everyone else is fine even the puffer who I read has a hard time with copper. Amd there is no ammonia. So idk what to think besides maybe stress?!

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But to be totally honest even tho the copper power is pretty simple i feel like the chart makes it hard to read if it is over... Idk or maybe its just me!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too sure girly. That's why I called Obewan there.

Those holes, to me, resembled HLLE. But again, I'm not entirely sure. Are you sure those holes weren't there when you bought him? or at least before today?

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too sure girly. That's why I called Obewan there.

Those holes, to me, resembled HLLE. But again, I'm not entirely sure. Are you sure those holes weren't there when you bought him? or at least before today?

Hmm i really dnt knw if it was or not

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But to be totally honest even tho the copper power is pretty simple i feel like the chart makes it hard to read if it is over... Idk or maybe its just me!

What test kit are you using? Copper Power would require a therapeutic level of 2.5 ppm measured by using an API copper test kit.

If you still have the body, I would drop it in some FW just to be sure flukes are not present. Obviously, tap water is fine since the fish is already dead.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using? Copper Power would require a therapeutic level of 2.5 ppm measured by using an API copper test kit.

If you still have the body, I would drop it in some FW just to be sure flukes are not present. Obviously, tap water is fine since the fish is already dead.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1448154968.941815.jpg
thts the kit im using n i threw it away already. But if it was flukes do i now have to worry about my other fish?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a FYI to anyone reading this: Anytime a fish dies, drop it's corpse into some tap water to check for flukes. In less than 5 minutes you should see tiny white specks fall out of the fish if it has flukes. This procedure obviously won't help the deceased, but it may tell you what killed the fish and help you save its tankmates by treating with Prazipro.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@merlberg If (BIG IF) the YT died of flukes, all of his QT tankmates would need to be treated with Prazipro. I mention this because: a) Flukes is one of many things which can cause heavy breathing b) You say you added this YT to QT maybe a week ago, with other fish you already had in QT. Doing this can introduce a whole new disease to your QT system which was not present before.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@merlberg If (BIG IF) the YT died of flukes, all of his QT tankmates would need to be treated with Prazipro. I mention this because: a) Flukes is one of many things which can cause heavy breathing b) You say you added this YT to QT maybe a week ago, with other fish you already had in QT. Doing this can introduce a whole new disease to your QT system which was not present before.

Ok so being that i have copper in there can I still use prazipro? Or should i do a half tank w/c first?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so being that i have copper in there can I still use prazipro? Or should i do a half tank w/c first?

This is a bit of a quagmire, for the following reasons:
  1. I do not recommend you drop the copper level in this QT for at least 4 more weeks. If this fish had ich or velvet inside the gills when you bought it, it would have reintroduced such into the QT. Anytime you buy a new fish and add it to your QT, the QT clock restarts as if all fish were introduced the same day as the new fish.
  2. Mixing Prazipro and copper is not advisable for two reasons: a) The presence of copper diminishes the overall effectiveness of praziquantel b) Mixing copper plus Prazipro can lead to a mild bacterial bloom (cloudy water), which starves oxygen out of the water. Not usually an issue unless your QT bio-load is already on the heavy side. But I do not advocate mixing the two unless both an external parasite and worms are known to be present.
Personally, I would wait a week and then FW dip your hardiest fish to look for flukes.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bit of a quagmire, for the following reasons:
  1. I do not recommend you drop the copper level in this QT for at least 4 more weeks. If this fish had ich or velvet inside the gills when you bought it, it would have reintroduced such into the QT. Anytime you buy a new fish and add it to your QT, the QT clock restarts as if all fish were introduced the same day as the new fish.
  2. Mixing Prazipro and copper is not advisable for two reasons: a) The presence of copper diminishes the overall effectiveness of praziquantel b) Mixing copper plus Prazipro can lead to a mild bacterial bloom (cloudy water), which starves oxygen out of the water. Not usually an issue unless your QT bio-load is already on the heavy side. But I do not advocate mixing the two unless both an external parasite and worms are known to be present.
Personally, I would wait a week and then FW dip your hardiest fish to look for flukes.

Wow so the clock starts over... Ok got it! I'll wait a week and do the fw dip to see what happens. Thank you for all your help as usual :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another FYI: If your fish are all in QT because you are going fallow for a disease, or if you have new fish in QT waiting to go into your DT... It is very unwise to buy more fish to go into the same QT until the current occupants are safely in the DT. You risk infecting your current inhabitants with a new disease they were not exposed to previously. Remember, there are some diseases out there which cannot be treated with the common meds we use (exs. copper, Prazipro, etc.) Even worse, the diseases that are known and commonly discussed in this forum represent probably only a small fraction of actual fish diseases present in the ocean. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced a wipeout in QT from some unknown "Typhoid Mary" like disease.

If you chose to roll the dice and add another fish to those already in QT, the QT clock restarts back to "Day 1" as if all fish were introduced the same day as the new fish.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another FYI: If your fish are all in QT because you are going fallow for a disease, or if you have new fish in QT waiting to go into your DT... It is very unwise to buy more fish to go into the same QT until the current occupants are safely in the DT. You risk infecting your current inhabitants with a new disease they were not exposed to previously. Remember, there are some diseases out there which cannot be treated with the common meds we use (exs. copper, Prazipro, etc.) Even worse, the diseases that are known and commonly discussed in this forum represent probably only a small fraction of actual fish diseases present in the ocean. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced a wipeout in QT from some unknown "Typhoid Mary" like disease.

If you chose to roll the dice and add another fish to those already in QT, the QT clock restarts back to "Day 1" as if all fish were introduced the same day as the new fish.

Man O man... Thank you so much for this... No more fish for me until they all go to the display tank in Jan... I was def. trying to speed things up in thinking since i have a big qt i'd put as many fish it can hold so when its tome to go to the display i knw they all went through qt n i can buy a new batch to put in the qt but what you stated makes more sense and I will absolutely wait until they are all in the DT. Im such a beast any time i go into my lfs I cant help myself -_-. There is def. something wrong with me lmbo [emoji23][emoji23] but thanks again :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man O man... Thank you so much for this... No more fish for me until they all go to the display tank in Jan... I was def. trying to speed things up in thinking since i have a big qt i'd put as many fish it can hold so when its tome to go to the display i knw they all went through qt n i can buy a new batch to put in the qt but what you stated makes more sense and I will absolutely wait until they are all in the DT. Im such a beast any time i go into my lfs I cant help myself -_-. There is def. something wrong with me lmbo [emoji23][emoji23] but thanks again :)

I know it's hard to be patient, especially when you have to QT each & every fish. So much of the thrill of the hobby is centered around getting a new fish/coral/invert. ;) But I'm hear to tell ya that slow & steady wins the race when it comes to SW aquariums. :D

Tanggirl12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a FYI to anyone reading this: Anytime a fish dies, drop it's corpse into some tap water to check for flukes. In less than 5 minutes you should see tiny white specks fall out of the fish if it has flukes. This procedure obviously won't help the deceased, but it may tell you what killed the fish and help you save its tankmates by treating with Prazipro.
I use prazi as part of my qt regime.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back