Yellow Tang help

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my way out the door this morning I noticed a mark on one of my yellow tangs. I was in the tank last night rearranging some stuff at 11pm and I know the mark was not there.

It was early this morning, so the Tank lights were not on. The only light was the natural light coming in from windows which wasn't alot as it was early and over cast. My yellow tangs always get pale during lights out, but I've never seen a spot before...
Thoughts???

b0716c6e45f0bb0787b0aedda4c8d851.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yellow tangs often appear discolored at night. It's part of their camouflage. It probably won't be there when you get home after the lights have been on all day.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yellow tangs often appear discolored at night. It's part of their camouflage. It probably won't be there when you get home after the lights have been on all day.
Agreed. They are light, solid-colored tangs so stress shows in odd ways on them at times. If it doesn't stay 48 hours, I wouldn't concern myself with it. Mel is correct they'll change color to fade with a strange white blob in the middle at night.

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping that is the case. I've never seen a tang have a spot, so it threw me off. I'll let everyone know in a few hours ;)

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely not just "night coloring". It's ten times as bad and its fin is rotting away. Trying to catch the little bugger. What would cause that fast of a decline? Is there anything I can dose in the tank as I definitely don't want any other fish to get whatever it is.
I'll get a pic asap

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still alive but pretty subdued. Moved to downstairs tank and killed the flow to minimal. He's not using his back fin at all.

This has all happened within the past 15 hours...

c27a862a68e0567c8977d35eca897ac5.jpg

Last edited:

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw something like this before used Furon” antibiotics. I would or if all you can find is erythromycin try that in quarantine only. Will hurt a reef tank. He might not make it without antibiotics. So sorry. Hope it will be ok. If you live in a area with a PetCo they carry antibiotics for marine tanks. I don’t know what this is but that’s what I would try. You can google “furon” it’s a broad spectrum antibiotic for fin rot and body wounds and such from bacteria infections. At the rate this thing is moving you will have to act fast. Good luck keep us posted.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a tomini tang injured fighting with the blue eyed kole. He was getting bitten by five fish in a corner of the tank when I pulled him out. All his fins were torn and bites all over both sides of the body. Put him in a 5gal(all I had) had another fish in 20gal. A heater, bubbler for oxygen and left in the dark. Put in erythromycin because I couldn’t get furon anywhere all sold out. Well 1.5 weeks later transferred to a new home in 93 gal. Wouldn’t even know he was hurt. A little skinny didn’t feed for three days while in meds. He was too sick to eat anyway. Wish I had learned about antibiotics earlier could have saved other fish too. Bacteria lives in our water and on our skin. I think we can bring some into our systems by accident. Hard to say what happened to your tang. Hope it survives looks like a beautiful one and I lov the yellows

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's dead. :(
So in less than 24 hours he went from no visible injuries, symptoms, or behavioral changes to dead with the above "rash" (for lack of better terms).
That scares the **** out of me for the rest of my tank. Now what do I do moving forward with my display tank and remaining fish. It's the a good broad spectrum antibiotic?
Help :(

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t put antibiotics in a reef unfortunately it will
Kill the biofilter and the coral. I’m not sure. Any other signs to other fish? How big is the tank and how many fish? I’m so sorry you lost him.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Furon” by API is the broad spectrum antibiotic that does both gram meg and gram positive bacteria. When I can’t identify i go with the ones that covers the most organisms. You also don’t want to mix medicines or antibiotics. Check out Reef Rally. It is for fin rot and other aliments. Claims to be reef safe. It is not entirely, though will affect some corals. But not all.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Still alive but pretty subdued. Moved to downstairs tank and killed the flow to minimal. He's not using his back fin at all.

This has all happened within the past 15 hours...

c27a862a68e0567c8977d35eca897ac5.jpg

Definitely a bacterial/fungus infection and if quarantined, treat with neomyacin or AP Melafix. Liquid vitamins in water would also be of help

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's dead. :(
So in less than 24 hours he went from no visible injuries, symptoms, or behavioral changes to dead with the above "rash" (for lack of better terms).
That scares the **** out of me for the rest of my tank. Now what do I do moving forward with my display tank and remaining fish. It's the a good broad spectrum antibiotic?
Help :(
How are the rest of your fish and your display yank? Hope everything else is ok. Sorry for your loss.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Losses are never good. What are your parameters and last water change?
Change water and visually check other inhabitants daily

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day after my favorite tang died, I sprung a leak in some plumbing. I'm blaming the cat because he is always walking around underneath the stand. Every time I tried to fix it, I only made it worse. Then my temp probe went wonky and my tank temp skyrocketed because the apex was thinking my tank was only 69 degrees. It's been a crazy past few days.

Things are looking up!!
Finally got the leak fixed just tonight after a ton of frustration. New probe has been installed. And all the fish seem to be happy and healthy!

My cat found a new favorite spot on top of the light fixture (I'm assuming because it's warm) and will go "fishing" with his tail. Cracks me up!

bb2eba954dba9be5184bfe44a819b094.jpg

f1b79982c241153938c201b0f17d1808.jpg

4f8995cf9822a261e312bb9627c655e8.jpg

Last edited:

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to hear all your other fish are doing well! cats can be so funny. Two of mine came to eat the other morning and were all wet, we immediately ran to the tanks. 300ok, 180ok, but lid on the 93 cube. Guess they went swimming! We put ply wood on the back of our tank stands so the cats can’t get in the stands they will chew on the wires. Your tank is beautiful and I lov the tangs! So glad you didn’t loose any others one is hard enough. We have 4 orange tabby cats too! They are my favorite kind of cats! Thanks for the update. Good luck

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great to hear outcome was positive. Word of caution as a cat owner..................................
They are not safe around wiring which can be pulled. I placed false doors on rear of my tank to block access, chance of tearing out wires/sensors/controller units. On top of tank, they will allow fur into system which can clog overflows and get into sump and to pumps. Falling in can occur and chance of electrical short or worse.

Not deterring the cuteness or enjoyment but risks which I have seen others pay for. It is by the way a very pretty coloration.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back