Yellow Tang help

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by corey.nolta, May 16, 2018 at 11:39 AM.

1. corey.nolta

corey.nolta Active Member

On my way out the door this morning I noticed a mark on one of my yellow tangs. I was in the tank last night rearranging some stuff at 11pm and I know the mark was not there.

It was early this morning, so the Tank lights were not on. The only light was the natural light coming in from windows which wasn't alot as it was early and over cast. My yellow tangs always get pale during lights out, but I've never seen a spot before...
    Thoughts???

[​IMG]

Tags:

2. mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

3. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018

yellow tangs often appear discolored at night. It's part of their camouflage. It probably won't be there when you get home after the lights have been on all day.

Big G likes this.
  4. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Agreed. They are light, solid-colored tangs so stress shows in odd ways on them at times. If it doesn't stay 48 hours, I wouldn't concern myself with it. Mel is correct they'll change color to fade with a strange white blob in the middle at night.

Big G likes this.
  5. corey.nolta

I'm hoping that is the case. I've never seen a tang have a spot, so it threw me off. I'll let everyone know in a few hours ;)

mahindra.dev likes this.
  6. corey.nolta

Yeah definitely not just "night coloring". It's ten times as bad and its fin is rotting away. Trying to catch the little bugger. What would cause that fast of a decline? Is there anything I can dose in the tank as I definitely don't want any other fish to get whatever it is.
    I'll get a pic asap

7. corey.nolta

Still alive but pretty subdued. Moved to downstairs tank and killed the flow to minimal. He's not using his back fin at all.

This has all happened within the past 15 hours...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 4:56 PM
  8. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018

9. RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad Member

I saw something like this before used Furon” antibiotics. I would or if all you can find is erythromycin try that in quarantine only. Will hurt a reef tank. He might not make it without antibiotics. So sorry. Hope it will be ok. If you live in a area with a PetCo they carry antibiotics for marine tanks. I don’t know what this is but that’s what I would try. You can google “furon” it’s a broad spectrum antibiotic for fin rot and body wounds and such from bacteria infections. At the rate this thing is moving you will have to act fast. Good luck keep us posted.

10. RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad Member

We had a tomini tang injured fighting with the blue eyed kole. He was getting bitten by five fish in a corner of the tank when I pulled him out. All his fins were torn and bites all over both sides of the body. Put him in a 5gal(all I had) had another fish in 20gal. A heater, bubbler for oxygen and left in the dark. Put in erythromycin because I couldn’t get furon anywhere all sold out. Well 1.5 weeks later transferred to a new home in 93 gal. Wouldn’t even know he was hurt. A little skinny didn’t feed for three days while in meds. He was too sick to eat anyway. Wish I had learned about antibiotics earlier could have saved other fish too. Bacteria lives in our water and on our skin. I think we can bring some into our systems by accident. Hard to say what happened to your tang. Hope it survives looks like a beautiful one and I lov the yellows

11. corey.nolta

He's dead. :(
    So in less than 24 hours he went from no visible injuries, symptoms, or behavioral changes to dead with the above "rash" (for lack of better terms).
    That scares the **** out of me for the rest of my tank. Now what do I do moving forward with my display tank and remaining fish. It's the a good broad spectrum antibiotic?
    Help :(

12. RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad Member

You can’t put antibiotics in a reef unfortunately it will
    Kill the biofilter and the coral. I’m not sure. Any other signs to other fish? How big is the tank and how many fish? I’m so sorry you lost him.

13. RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad Member

“Furon” by API is the broad spectrum antibiotic that does both gram meg and gram positive bacteria. When I can’t identify i go with the ones that covers the most organisms. You also don’t want to mix medicines or antibiotics. Check out Reef Rally. It is for fin rot and other aliments. Claims to be reef safe. It is not entirely, though will affect some corals. But not all.

14. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter

Definitely a bacterial/fungus infection and if quarantined, treat with neomyacin or AP Melafix. Liquid vitamins in water would also be of help

15. RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad Member

How are the rest of your fish and your display yank? Hope everything else is ok. Sorry for your loss.

16. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter

Losses are never good. What are your parameters and last water change?
    Change water and visually check other inhabitants daily

17. Reefaddict1979

Reefaddict1979 Member

How long was the fish in the tank. Also how long you have the other fish

Draft saved Draft deleted