Yellow Tang

Mikeshipley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is probably not happening but I have two yellow tangs, the smaller of the two has been in the back corner of the tank, fanned a large hole in the sand and has been their for over a week and wont leave, is it possible she is going to lay eggs or ?? I attached a small video.

Attachments

• 20191204_173815.mp4
    73.8 MB

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not spawning, they are pelagic spawners spawning as they rise up together in the water column.
My guess Is the other tang is intimidating it to the point where it wont survive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mikeshipley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting they have been together for some time. Then there are times they are both in that hole together. Havent ever seen them fight. Will keep an eye on them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a tang intimidated by the clowns and trying to establish a territory.

OP
OP
M

Mikeshipley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it's weird they have been in tank from beginning with her neither bother each other and the clowns hang out there in that spot since day one. The other pair of clowns are the jerks, but they hang out in two nems mostly. We shall see what happens.

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tangs have spines near their rear and will swim backward at other fish to attack them. This is why they are called "surgeonfish". It could be seeing its reflection in the tank glass. Previous posters are correct in that they are open water spawners. That is one of the reasons they are so hard to captive breed.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back