yellow tangs pricing

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's supply and demand I was just at a local store today talking about it they got one of the last hauls from Hawaii and we're selling them for $75. But as the # of fish on the market shrink price will go up it's basic economics. 2 months ago I bought a baby yellow for $60.

Pricing will go up as supply shrinks. No more from Hawaii so then aquacultured will price spike as the demand out grows the supply.

Look at the ps5 and new GPUs on the marks retail is under 400 500 but because you can't buy one onsite you have to pay 2 to 3 times that to get one.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly think they Yellow tangs, and Purple Tangs are the most beautiful and flashy of the Zebrasoma. I would prefer these two over any of the other of the Zebrosoma in my tank.
As of this week, this is the most expensive fish in my tank.
Anybody with clear pictures of tank bred Yellow tangs? I want to see how they compair with my wild caught Yellow tang that I have. I got this guy from the time his body without the tail was the size of a quarter.
47c93c6c-0381-4b34-bf4a-a9aeff5471a1-jpeg.1999327

0a32f344-360e-44c8-ae33-bf1b12dee1d2-jpeg.1999328

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sad thing is, it's just not yellow tangs.

All tangs right now are sky high.

i think it has to do with both, supply and demand, and LFS trying to get the most money they can..

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the LFS are not making a killing from selling fish and coral. Many just barely getting by. It cost money to get the fish and there are mortality associated with getting animal ship in. I don't think LFS owner are making a killing selling fish so we should not blame the price of expensive fish on LFS gouging customers.
Your choice if you want to spend your money in the Yellow Tang at the LFS or not. LFS is just trying to stay in business.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping rates are triple what they normally are and lack of trans pacific flights combined with the priority given to covid supplies is what’s causing all fish to be expensive right now.

This and forced closure caused my store to go under. We were sometimes paying more for shipping than fish.

I have 3 yellow tangs in my 240 right now. Street price $1350+! I paid zero(adoptions). Wow!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is not just the yellow tang that will be in much shorter supply it will be achillies, kole and a few others now.
As people turn to other tangs they will rise allot in price do too demand increase. I would not doubt if some of the lower priced tangs go between 300 to 500 dollars. Then people will start looking at rabbit fish and demand will go up there causing prices to rise. We also lost some wrasses, we lost some eels.

Basically this will affect the price of every fish available even clownfish.

I mean if we took 300,000 yellow tangs imagine how many fish came from there total. That's a lot of fish to loose from the hobby.

Now fish have to come farther from third world countries. More for shipping and more losses means more cost.

Prices will level off and come down some eventually because less people will enter the hobby. I mean most people are first attracted to fish. It is still thought of as hard end expensive hobby already and keeps some people away. Well it just got more expensive. So basically less will will want to start the hobby. Hobby will shrink.

Also the rising prices will probably cause some to throw in the towel because it got too expensive for them.

Prices will level and then drop some because demand will drop as the hobby gets smaller.

Will aquaculture pick up some of the slack? Most likely a little but anyone who knows anything about breeding saltwater fish is it is way harder. Way harder mean way more money for them and less of them. Most saltwater fish are not like clownfish when it comes to breeding. Has anyone even been able to do a wrasse. Plus breeders may actually put less investment in it if the hobby is shrinking.

Now we will see other closures. Now these lobbying groups have closed Hawaii they will use their money and move to other areas.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not just the yellow tang that will be in much shorter supply it will be achillies, kole and a few others now.

At least yellow tangs are found elsewhere, and are captive bred. Agree that the Achilles will be $$$$ .... if you can even get one.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a Hawaiian YT on Divers Den last night. Emphasis on the was! Somebody bought it. Funny how people accuse the retailers of gouging yet some hobbyist selling a fingernail sized rainbow chalice for $500 gets a pass. A place like LA/DD is a for-profit business. I might not like it, but if they can get $550 for a YT, more power too them. Like it or not, its supply and demand folks.

We'd all better take really good care of our tangs. My YT is about 10 years old, but there are reports of them living well beyond 20. I have a 5 year old chevron and a small achilles. The prices on those are going to go bonkers too ... if you can even get them. Agree with Dave that this is going to have a rolling affect on all fish prices. My gem went from being the third most 'valuable' tang in my tank to #6 or #7 LOL.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was a Hawaiian YT on Divers Den last night. Emphasis on the was! Somebody bought it. Funny how people accuse the retailers of gouging yet some hobbyist selling a fingernail sized rainbow chalice for $500 gets a pass. A place like LA/DD is a for-profit business. I might not like it, but if they can get $550 for a YT, more power too them. Like it or not, its supply and demand folks.

We'd all better take really good care of our tangs. My YT is about 10 years old, but there are reports of them living well beyond 20. I have a 5 year old chevron and a small achilles. The prices on those are going to go bonkers too ... if you can even get them. Agree with Dave that this is going to have a rolling affect on all fish prices. My gem went from being the third most 'valuable' tang in my tank to #6 or #7 LOL.

What about this. If what I say is true and the hobby may shrink because less people will enter because of fish prices and if some leave because of the price of fish may have got to rich for them.
Will the demand on corals drop and the prices of coral come down?

Honestly I think this hurts the whole hobby including Forums, coral vendors, retailers, collectors, distributors, equipment manufacturers and the list goes on.

I think allot in the hobby also feel like well they will just come from elsewhere. Those places already have limits to.
Used to be bans happened one place a new place opened so people shrugged stuff off but now we are out of new places. Just like with live rock.

I think we hit the peak of the hobby now. Less diversity of fish and corals coming in some will lose interest.
Fish will have more diseases making it hard for some.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back