Yellow tangs together

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a project for a Fish Only tank. (190g)

I want to put a few yellow tangs in the tank. Of course the yellow tangs will be added at the same time. I know they can be housed together, but I was not sure if two or three would be better together.

Do they get territorial when it is just two? Is 190g enough room to keep 3 happy together?

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g with 3 tangs, but they are all different. 1 yellow kole eye, 1 powder blue and 1 yellow. They get along, but the key was to introduce them around the same time and have an odd number of tangs total in the tank. I usually introduce new fish while adding food to the tank so the other fish see it as a possitive thing. Hope this helps a little.

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but those are all different genus: Ctenochaetus, Acanthurus, and Zebrasoma. So they are more accepting of eachother.

Anyone else have experience with several yellows?

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy that I got my yellow from said that he could only keep 3 yellows together in his 240g. He had the one I got in his 100g sump since it got mean towards the other Zebrasomas. He had 3 yellows, 1 sailfin and 1 hippo tang in his 240g IIRC.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say tank dimensions will play a role. If it's a 6 foot tank I think you'll have better luck than a shorter tank

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dims: 60"27"27"

Is there a difference between keeping two or three together? I'd rather have two. I know some fish like anthias like being in groups rather than a pair.

umngane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tangs typically only school when breeding, but when they are young one can keep them in greater numbers; as they grow older they won't be so aggressive towards each other. We have over 250 in stock at the moment, and maybe 40 juveniles together in a single holding tank. No problems so far.

EcoFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'd be better to keep 3 yellows...also know that they can be nippy when they get a little bigger until dominance is sorted out usually doesnt last more than a month

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. Odd numbers with tangs, especially the same/similar species. If there is only 2 yellows, one is probably going to pick at the other continually, but when there is 3, one can't always pick on just one.

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

AJ Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two yellow tang in a 190 (6 foot) There is also a scopas added later. The scopas had a hard time joining the pecking order but does just fine now.

Back