Yellow watchman Goby missing

linkzter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently purchased a yellow watchman goby and shrimp combo put them in the tank two days ago and haven’t seen them since. Only two days have passed should I be worried I haven’t seen them??? I know they have made a cave already! After adding them (two days ago) I got my water tested and my ammonia is at 0.4 could this small spike be caused by the water change or is my goby dead?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe
Ammonia Concentration Guidelines

Because ammonia's toxic effects appear at levels significantly below those that are acutely lethal (0.09 to 3.35 ppm NH3-N or 1.3 to 50 ppm total NH4-N at pH 8.2), and because some organisms in a reef aquarium may be more sensitive than the few organisms that have been carefully studied, it is prudent to err on the side of caution when deciding what concentrations of ammonia to allow in a reef aquarium or related system.

My suggestion is to take some sort of corrective action if the total ammonia rises above 0.1 ppm. This suggestion is also made by Stephen Spotte in his authoritative text, Captive Seawater Fishes.6 Values in excess of 0.25 ppm total ammonia may require immediate treatment, preferably involving removal of all delicate (ammonia sensitive) organisms from the water containing the ammonia.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits were used to test your water?

Also, is your tank cycled? A cycled tank that is appropriately stocked should have little to no Ammonia, and definitely not that high of a concentration.

OP
OP
L

linkzter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits were used to test your water?

Also, is your tank cycled? A cycled tank that is appropriately stocked should have little to no Ammonia, and definitely not that high of a concentration.
Yes the tank has been cycled I currently have 3 other fish and a starfish. I did a water change before I added the goby and shrimp. but before the water change my ammonia was at 0. I did my test at a local fish store they had a Machine to test it

OP
OP
L

linkzter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe
Ammonia Concentration Guidelines

Because ammonia's toxic effects appear at levels significantly below those that are acutely lethal (0.09 to 3.35 ppm NH3-N or 1.3 to 50 ppm total NH4-N at pH 8.2), and because some organisms in a reef aquarium may be more sensitive than the few organisms that have been carefully studied, it is prudent to err on the side of caution when deciding what concentrations of ammonia to allow in a reef aquarium or related system.

My suggestion is to take some sort of corrective action if the total ammonia rises above 0.1 ppm. This suggestion is also made by Stephen Spotte in his authoritative text, Captive Seawater Fishes.6 Values in excess of 0.25 ppm total ammonia may require immediate treatment, preferably involving removal of all delicate (ammonia sensitive) organisms from the water containing the ammonia.
Started using micro bacteria 7! To take care of the 0.4 levels. as of right now I only have bio-media taking care of my ammonia. I don’t have carbon filtration as I took it out so it doesn’t interfere with my medication

OP
OP
L

linkzter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goby was mia close to a year and popped up about 4 months ago. Same with the shrimp
Hope the same happens to me!!! last time I saw him was the day I put them in the tank which was this Thursday . when night time hit my tank they closed the cave. The next morning the cave is open but they still don’t explore or leave it. So far I think they just have a crazy man cave down there

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the same happens to me!!! last time I saw him was the day I put them in the tank which was this Thursday . when night time hit my tank they closed the cave. The next morning the cave is open but they still don’t explore or leave it. So far I think they just have a crazy man cave down there
Probably. I only know my shrimp is good is cause it snaps at night when the dottyback tries to go in his cave

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the tank has been cycled I currently have 3 other fish and a starfish. I did a water change before I added the goby and shrimp. but before the water change my ammonia was at 0. I did my test at a local fish store they had a Machine to test it
I am so confused. Are you sure you didn't read the results wrong? What size tank is it?

OP
OP
L

linkzter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused. Are you sure you didn't read the results wrong? What size tank is it?
I didn’t take a picture of the most recent test but this was the test I did before Thursday. My alk, PH, phos, ca and MG didn’t change that much. Between the water change

but.
My ammonia when up 0.3 ?

Now it’s at
ammo of 0.4
Nitrite I think 0.1
And nitrate was 14

Lmk if you need anyone information I have a 25 gallon with maybe 15 or 14 gallon of water

Attachments

• 32B8D55C-249C-47A6-9EAE-B69E80749F15.jpeg
    32B8D55C-249C-47A6-9EAE-B69E80749F15.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 6

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t take a picture of the most recent test but this was the test I did before Thursday. My alk, PH, phos, ca and MG didn’t change that much. Between the water change

but.
My ammonia when up 0.3 ?

Now it’s at
ammo of 0.4
Nitrite I think 0.1
And nitrate was 14

Lmk if you need anyone information I have a 25 gallon with maybe 15 or 14 gallon of water
Test your saltwater that you are making for ammonia.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back