Yellow Watchman Goby now pale (suddenly)

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
This morning, my YWG was bright yellow and eating.

After the hurricane, we lost power but have a generator and I am running my flow pump and filter. We don't have AC though and my tank says it is 82 right now, (usually 79) and just turned on the lights quickly to see everything and how it looks. My YMG was asleep in the corner and like grey/beige color -- quite startling actually.

Is this from the temperature change and it is super stressed? Anything I can do? we don't have AC powered on the generator but don't have a fan.

I know they change color with age/sex sometimes but this was in the matter of hours, not months.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My little mandarin looks like it's gray and decaying at night :oops:. It freaks me out every time I see her but she's as happy as can be when the lights are on for a few hours. IMO your goby should be fine (definitely check again tomorrow a few hours after lights come on. I am guessing it's something like a yellow tang's nocturnal stripes coming out at night (which definitely freaked me out the first time around). Best thing to do now is relax and wait until tomorrow :)

OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
My little mandarin looks like it's gray and decaying at night :oops:. It freaks me out every time I see her but she's as happy as can be when the lights are on for a few hours. IMO your goby should be fine (definitely check again tomorrow a few hours after lights come on. I am guessing it's something like a yellow tang's nocturnal stripes coming out at night (which definitely freaked me out the first time around). Best thing to do now is relax and wait until tomorrow :)
ok thanks!! I figured it could be something that it does at night to blend in or something (never seen it at night) but it was just poor coincidence that it was the day the power went out and it was pale. I'll keep an eye on it though :)

OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Some fish normally get pale during the night. So if you were having to keep the lights off that’s probably why. If your filter and pump have been on I wouldn’t worry much.
yeah running extension cords everywhere lol to get up to it, but just was worried about the temp getting up to almost 82 degrees. It is like 75 out though and my windows are open so should in theory settle out

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums