Yellow watchman...where is tiger?

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put in my yw from QT 2 days ago...they met up in about 15 min...all seemed well sitting next to each other by their little cave...now the yw is around but don't see hide nor hair of shrimp...can a watchman kill a pistol shrimp or is it just a matter of patience?...my tank is a 10 gal. nano...:eek:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put in my yw from QT 2 days ago...they met up in about 15 min...all seemed well sitting next to each other by their little cave...now the yw is around but don't see hide nor hair of shrimp...can a watchman kill a pistol shrimp or is it just a matter of patience?...my tank is a 10 gal. nano...:eek:
No, a watchman won't kill the shrimp. Give it some time, they may have separated in the move. Pistol shrimp can hide for awhile too. They can go unnoticed for weeks.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same pair for several years. Always out and visible. There was one two or three week period where the tiger just disappeared. Then he was back. My only thought was he had molted and gone into hiding. Don't know if that was what happened as he must have molted many other times over the years. As TJ said, give it time.

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same pair for several years. Always out and visible. There was one two or three week period where the tiger just disappeared. Then he was back. My only thought was he had molted and gone into hiding. Don't know if that was what happened as he must have molted many other times over the years. As TJ said, give it time.
To Eat Breakfast and Baldguy...my wife and I were just meditating when we heard that old familiar "click"...haven't seen Shrimpy, but he's obviously alive and well...
Thanks...:D

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We see him now for a few days...been struggling mightily and seems unable to molt...probably a week now...I'll let him be until he seems totally warn out or dead...either euthanize at that point or dispose...

As far a the two ywm are concerned, if a pair stays together in the same cave, sticking there little frowning faces out, does it suggest a male or female to get along so well...or not...:confused:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We see him now for a few days...been struggling mightily and seems unable to molt...probably a week now...I'll let him be until he seems totally warn out or dead...either euthanize at that point or dispose...

As far a the two ywm are concerned, if a pair stays together in the same cave, sticking there little frowning faces out, does it suggest a male or female to get along so well...or not...:confused:
Supplementing with iodine helps inverts to molt if there is a deficiency.

Small site oriented fish, like watchman gobies, are quick to change gender if and when it is needed, partners don't come around too often. The fact that they are sharing a burrow is a good indication that they have paired up.

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my ywm is darker, brownish...is this a sign of sex at all...hearsay tells me its a female, but i don't trust hearsay...:rolleyes:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my ywm is darker, brownish...is this a sign of sex at all...hearsay tells me its a female, but i don't trust hearsay...:rolleyes:
I've heard that too, but have seen pics of wild fish of prs that are both the same color.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female turned that darker color as well. When I got both they were bright yellow. Idk why they sometimes do that or if females are the only ones. It is a good sign though that you have a m/f pair.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back