Yet another beginner mistake, Acan advice please

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my Quarantine tank, my small torch got somehow loose and fell on my Acan colony in a rock below. Torch was on the colony at least all day. I think it’s either dead or close to it? Will a torch kill an Acan? I did some brine shrimp and reef roids which usually opens it right up as soon as I give it a “whiff”, no resection at all... the Acan is deflated more than it was after the dip and transfer, never seen like this. Is it dead? Anything I can do to help it?
B4690085-9888-43C6-A147-115946D32100.jpeg
6BF7A1ED-8C55-46F5-BAC2-45A23EA7B287.jpeg

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s usually 25% larger than the Acan colony next to it... looks in bad shape to me, but not much experience to say for sure

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def stressed. Will it kill it not sure. I think you just have to wait it out and time will tell if it survives or dies. I dont think there is really anything you can do at this point.

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offline friend gave me advice, it’s worked so I thought I should share to pass on the knowledge. When they are stung they will produce Mucus and that mucus can keep the toxins against the coral. He said to take the wave pump and manually move it to the effected coral, and sure enough a giant blobulous mass of mucus came off the Acan. Instantly kill the wave pump, net the mucus and repeat until no mucus is dislodged. Three times it produced thick mucus. When no more came off, use the wavemaker to do the same to all corals I. The tank, found more mucus, netted it all. Then told me to do a 50% water change. By the time the water change was done, the Acan had regained its colors and started to Re inflate. Here is the results, looks way better and believe it will make it.
268FCD5E-A080-4E1C-AA13-047F9E02D1A4.jpeg

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back