OP
OP
Yevoc

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess it is a good thing that I started adding Kalk.

This is the transition from open windows to AC season.
Screenshot_20210521-124013.jpg

This is even with the skimmer running outside air.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210521-124013.jpg
    Screenshot_20210521-124013.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 55

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
still in good range ,just stay consistent :cool:

OP
OP
Yevoc

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More night pics. I know the focus isn't perfect but the smart phone camera night mode seems to be able to take pics in the dark pretty well.

Batman the Starry Blenny napping in the Monti frag.
IMG_20210603_223122__01.jpg

IMG_20210603_223008__01__01.jpg

OP
OP
Yevoc

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the bit of a teaser turned into a giant Bryopsis outbreak. Which I didn't take a lot of pictures of.

I treated with a course of Reef Flux. Which after dicking around with the algae for the better part of 2 months the Reef Flux killed all of the algae in 3 days.

I lost my torch coral before treatment and my BC Secale RTN during treatment but other than that everything seemed unbothered.

Ultimately I had gotten a Urchin and gotten Vibrant (which I've used successfully on bubble algae) I was settling down for a long battle with the Bryopsis... Then it dawned on me. I was running the nutrient levels I wanted, the levels my corals were happy and colorful at I did not want to change that. I didn't want to spend months starving my fish and corrals. So I went with the nuke. It was a tactical nuke.

What I will say is that thanks to the Trident I got to see all my nutrient swing more wildly in those 2 weeks that I have seen for the course of the tank.

ALK and CAL intake fell by like 2/3 before medication was added.

Nitrate peaked over 5, in a tank that was normally doses NO3.

Phosphate which was normal .08 to .02 shot up to ..9 on one test. I am a little sus about that in general.

Once the treatment was over, first time in the year the tank had been up I did like a 55G water change and ran GFO forr 2 weeks.

We got out the other side of this and everything slowly started taking off.

OP
OP
Yevoc

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So leads me to today. BRS may have got the best of me for Black Friday so I have some new toys coming..
I also got my 3rd box from Battle Corals.
DSC00464.JPG

We have Cricket Spine, Rainbow Brite, Tijuana Taxi, Blood Bank, The Guiled Lily, and Laser Melon..

Blood Bank
DSC00458.JPG

Rainbow Brite

DSC00457.JPG

Laser Melon
DSC00455.JPG

Cricket Spine
DSC00456.JPG

OP
OP
Yevoc

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big BRS purchase and the biggest change in a year will be me switching out the Reefbreeder/Orphek mix for all Neptune Sky.

Couple Reasons:
1) Continues my slow decent into Neptune madness. Really do like the centralized control.
2) I want to see what I think of the T5 look ( had all T5 in like 2005).
3) As a stickhead the blanket of light approach is key in my book.
4) The 50" Reefbreeders are too short to light the 60" tank which is why I added the Orphek strip but I hate how the mixed brand looks with 3 sets of wires and ugly mounting hardware looks. This one is on me and not either manufacturers.

If any Reefbreeders fans think "well dang they must not be good" well. Page thru of a few earlier pages like 6 months ago and now.

FTS
DSC00443.JPG

Overhead: note the table....
DSC00451.JPG

DSC00447.JPG

Right side.
DSC00441.JPG

So this me documenting before these lights come off. They do in fact grow coral.

OP
OP
Yevoc

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my continued effort to get my Bryopsis and hair algae under control I purchased an Ice Cap Turf Scrubber.

Part of the reason I have algae in the first place is the utter failure of Chaeto growing attempts.

I've tried 3 yes to grow Chaeto in this tank and they all failed and wilted. Mind you I run the Triton System, it has proper nutrients for an algae filter. This is confirmed via ICP tests but it seems the nuisance algae has a lower nutrient floor than the Chaeto. I mean and plus in trying I introduced Aiptasia with one of the batches is fun times.

I also tried one round of sea cabbage from Algae Barn. Same outcome. Eventually over run with goo and died out.

So if you can't beat them join em.
PXL_20220125_011913407.jpg

Running theory, I am going the same algae and giving it a better home so it can out produce the display.

While that comes on line I picked up a 3 Lettuce Nudibranch and one Sea Hare. Neither animal I have kept before so it is cool to see a new creature in the house.

The nudibranches have been eh. They definitely sit on the algae.

The Sea Hare on the other hand is a lawnmower. Seems to only prefer the hair and Bryopsis and doesn't bother with the glass. Love this thing.
PXL_20220125_011034679.jpg

OP
OP
Yevoc

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back