YMG selection question

toddrparr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Monday all!

On Saturday I purchased a yellow watchman goby with the thought of pairing it with a pistol shrimp to round out the stocking of my 32 gal biocube. The fish I selected had been in the store just 2 days and looked a bit skinny, I did have some mixed feelings about it, it did seem moderately active. I got it home, acclimated and added to the tank and seemed to be doing fine. Checked on it often, at the 3 hour mark I came in and it was belly up in the grasp of a hermit crab. I'm guessing I got a bad fish... problem is I didn't have the best feelings about this one still kicking myself...

Anyway... what sign do you look for in a healthy YMG? I'm guessing fat and active, but anything else?
besides hermits, other tank mates are 2 clowns, tail spot blenny and a green mandarin.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hit the two things that are immediately visible. Like most any other fish, if you can see it in person make sure that it is eating - ask for it to be fed some mysis in your presence. If you see the belly area concave, or the sides look very thin, it is undernourished. YWG aren't going to be swimming all over the tank, but they should be aware and active in their immediate surroundings. If they are lethargic or breathing heavy you should pass.

It's difficult to know if they have a parasite since they are not in the open - difficult to see white stringy poop when it's done under a rock or burrow. Best bet is to quarantine them, treat for potential parasites, and observe them before putting them in your display.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hit the two things that are immediately visible. Like most any other fish, if you can see it in person make sure that it is eating - ask for it to be fed some mysis in your presence. If you see the belly area concave, or the sides look very thin, it is undernourished. YWG aren't going to be swimming all over the tank, but they should be aware and active in their immediate surroundings. If they are lethargic or breathing heavy you should pass.

It's difficult to know if they have a parasite since they are not in the open - difficult to see white stringy poop when it's done under a rock or burrow. Best bet is to quarantine them, treat for potential parasites, and observe them before putting them in your display.
Agree on all fronts. I’d avoid any with tattered fins as well as they maybindicate flukes or an infection.

Sorry for the loss.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your little guy. I too had a Yellow Watchman Goby that I paired with a Pistol Shrimp.
Basically, you want to inspect it at the store, see how long they had it there? Is it eating? Can you show me? Look to see how they are moving around and breathing, look at its eyes to ensure not cloudy, look for torn fins, blemishes, color and shape.
That is pretty much it in a nut shell! Good luck...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%

Back