You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you not running an ATO?
I have the RB prism but it won't turn itself on. Can turn itself off just fine but needs help turning on because it is useless. I think I'll buy the TUNZE osmolator. I was waiting for the red sea but its taking too long.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have the RB prism but it won't turn itself on. Can turn itself off just fine but needs help turning on because it is useless. I think I'll buy the TUNZE osmolator. I was waiting for the red sea but its taking too long.
Get a smart plug that turns on throughout the day. I have mine turn on for an hour and a half to run my skimmer and ATO, then off for 4.5, then back on for 1.5, etc.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a smart plug that turns on throughout the day. I have mine turn on for an hour and a half to run my skimmer and ATO, then off for 4.5, then back on for 1.5, etc.
Bingo. This right here.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally home! I'm going to report both tanks here as I'm exhausted. Starting with bad news and ending with good.

Fish:
  • Lost the ribbon goby to a jump. Quite sad as it was a very cool fish and I was having success with it which is rare.
  • YTTW, A. meleagrides is looking underweight. Healthy behavior but not gaining the weight most of my fish do.
  • Smaller engineer goby is MIA.
  • Everything else looks great though!
  • Red coris, C gaimard has had a growth spurt and has started transitioning which I'm very happy about.
Corals:
  • Two corals knocked to sand but still look OK.
  • Plate and green goniopora still struggling
  • Red branching montipora has recovered and is showing great polyp extension though no or little growth.
  • Purple stylophora and blue pavona have exploded in growth!
  • My red plating montipora has resurrected! I'm guessing no one here knows I had a red plating monti. It was growing well until the cyano outbreak last summer covered everything and it seemingly died. Well guess what? In a hole in the rock right under where it used to be I noticed a red glow and seemingly the coral is still alive and maybe returning!
Algae
  • A weird red and green sheen covered the sump surface and killed a lot of the caulerpa. This is probably the only really worrying thing as that is my main filtration and it dieing is obviously bad in two ways as it no longer operates as a filter as well but also lost a lot of nutrients to the tank.
  • This awful tough green algae covered my glass and resisted my magnetic glass cleaner. Took a good half an hour to clean off manually.
In other news I got the good Tunze ATO. Hopefully this will solve my problems.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also went to the pittsburgh zoo and aquarium on my one day off. It was not great but ah well.

Some cool fish:
IMG_6219.jpeg IMG_6218.jpeg

Can you spot the tentacle snakes. A true snake I adore but is very boring long term.
IMG_6217.jpeg IMG_6216.jpeg

One reason I thought this place wasn't very good was their lack of good or even accurate signage. @i cant think I know this is freshwater but can you identify this fish better then the aquarium?
IMG_6214.jpeg IMG_6215.jpeg

Finally they had this on dispaly as their "save the corals" initiative. As you maybe can see the tank is terribly neglected and all the corals are dead. Not a very good campaign then hunh??
IMG_6213.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One reason I thought this place wasn't very good was their lack of good or even accurate signage. @i cant think I know this is freshwater but can you identify this fish better then the aquarium?
IMG_6214.jpeg IMG_6215.jpeg
They aren’t wrong about the genus it’s in but they really couldn’t get the species?
It looks to be a Rainbow Darter - Etheostoma caeruleum. Every type of water and climate? Psht, not really…
They avoid Silty and polluted waters as they’re rather sensitive to that (They stay in clean, non-polluted water as a result) and are found in small, high moving streams and small-medium rivers.

Before coming into the salty side I used to be addicted to the Darters and kept a lot of fresh water (Although I didn’t really enjoy the large FW fish and stuck to the smaller species). So I do enjoy seeing the FW gobies and Darters.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t wrong about the genus it’s in but they really couldn’t get the species?
Exactly! HAHA
This place only identified like half their fish and it was very infuriating. Though what really annoyed me was the size of the enclosures on the zoo side. Especially the elephant and polar bear enclosures were tiny compared to what they need. :crying-face:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! HAHA
This place only identified like half their fish and it was very infuriating. Though what really annoyed me was the size of the enclosures on the zoo side. Especially the elephant and polar bear enclosures were tiny compared to what they need. :crying-face:
What did you expect to find within a state that elected a senator with major cognitive issues?

Welcome home!

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Finally home! I'm going to report both tanks here as I'm exhausted. Starting with bad news and ending with good.

Fish:
  • Lost the ribbon goby to a jump. Quite sad as it was a very cool fish and I was having success with it which is rare.
  • YTTW, A. meleagrides is looking underweight. Healthy behavior but not gaining the weight most of my fish do.
  • Smaller engineer goby is MIA.
  • Everything else looks great though!
  • Red coris, C gaimard has had a growth spurt and has started transitioning which I'm very happy about.
Corals:
  • Two corals knocked to sand but still look OK.
  • Plate and green goniopora still struggling
  • Red branching montipora has recovered and is showing great polyp extension though no or little growth.
  • Purple stylophora and blue pavona have exploded in growth!
  • My red plating montipora has resurrected! I'm guessing no one here knows I had a red plating monti. It was growing well until the cyano outbreak last summer covered everything and it seemingly died. Well guess what? In a hole in the rock right under where it used to be I noticed a red glow and seemingly the coral is still alive and maybe returning!
Algae
  • A weird red and green sheen covered the sump surface and killed a lot of the caulerpa. This is probably the only really worrying thing as that is my main filtration and it dieing is obviously bad in two ways as it no longer operates as a filter as well but also lost a lot of nutrients to the tank.
  • This awful tough green algae covered my glass and resisted my magnetic glass cleaner. Took a good half an hour to clean off manually.
In other news I got the good Tunze ATO. Hopefully this will solve my problems.
I had a similar situation take out my Dragon's Breath early on. I have an internal fuge and the water surface had a reddish oil slick.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also went to the pittsburgh zoo and aquarium on my one day off. It was not great but ah well.
IMG_6213.jpeg
I was trying to squint thinking I would see your face lol

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know you had a Monti cap………….. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Idk if you can see it but its just to the left of the urchin. The urchin is actually sitting on the frag plug it used to be.

Attachments

• IMG_6225.jpeg
    IMG_6225.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6224.jpeg
    IMG_6224.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there is a new boss in the tank and its got a massive pot belly :face-with-tears-of-joy: . It is not being overly aggressive but is definitely king wrasse now.

Attachments

• IMG_6228.jpeg
    IMG_6228.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6227.jpeg
    IMG_6227.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6226.jpeg
    IMG_6226.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 17

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there is a new boss in the tank and its got a massive pot belly :face-with-tears-of-joy: . It is not being overly aggressive but is definitely king wrasse now.
Tim Allen Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if you can see it but it’s just to the left of the urchin. The urchin is actually sitting on the frag plug it used to be.
I can see it!

The second attachment looks like if you were looking through the eyes of a drunk person :face-without-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if you can see it but its just to the left of the urchin. The urchin is actually sitting on the frag plug it used to be.
Now just to see if you beat my monti number, currently sat at 5 and may get another couple ;)

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now just to see if you beat my monti number, currently sat at 5 and may get another couple ;)
If tiny little pieces count I have 2 with no plans to get more. I think I'll stick to pavona.
Look how well my 3 are doing!
IMG_6232.jpeg IMG_6231.jpeg

Also softy corner is actually looking overgrown. Wil they fight? Leathers just use chemicals right?
IMG_6230.jpeg

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would have beat your monti number before I got Monti Eating Nudis... I had 7 caps, 8 or 9 encrusters, and 8 digis...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back