You make the call...

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my Vectra return pump failed on me to which I reached out to Ecotech and they responded by saying they would send me a "new" return pump. I did indeed receive a pump however after opening the unit this is what was found. In well over a decade of being in the hobby I've never received a "new" pump in this condition. Long story short I reached back out to Ecotech with pictures of the unit to ask why this unit shows every sign of NOT being new and their reply was...."We do not ship out used equipment, we test all of our equipment prior to sending it out and that's why it looks as it does". I called them and again a customer service rep stood by the initial assertion even after looking at the pictures. I asked several times to speak to the manager for their opinion and I was denied a call back from him.

Am I crazy or does that sound ridiculous based on the evidence provided? opinions? FYI these images are directly out of the box, never installed in my system, straight from ecotech to my door.

IMG_3920.jpg IMG_3921.jpg

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends how long they test them for. If they claim half an hour.. then no. If they test for over a week I’d say yes

OP
OP
Gil03

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends how long they test them for. If they claim half an hour.. then no. If they test for over a week I’d say yes
If
More importantly, WHERE did they test this pump?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Look at Pic !! Its obvious they DID test the pump, FOR ABOUT A YEAR in lack of better terms. I shut them down and buy nothing from them due to their dishonesty and crooked practices. There is soiling on housing and light scoring on magnet. . . . But theyre the first to accuse the customer of neglect.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is absolute utter crap. You can see what appears to be a rust stain on the housing in the left picture. That takes months of use for that sort of thing to happen. And what kind of environment was this pump "tested" in to have that level of debris build up, staining, and wear?

I have opened up multiple pumps, both brand new and ones that have been in service for 3-6 months to years and did not look this bad. I'd keep hounding them and requesting to speak to someone in management. Post up on their Facebook and Twitter pages. Try to get the contact information for the CEO if necessary and push for action.

Looking at it, it appears that they have a history of poor customer service. Especially when it comes to servicing and honoring warranties.

It appears they like to take the "item shows evidence of water damage so warranty is void" on their pumps...

As well as countless posts on here and other forums related to the companies bad customer service record.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gil03

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two questions:
Who tears apart a new pump as soon as they get it? Not picking here I just find it interesting haha
Does the pump work?
There were rubber o-rings attached to the chord that need to be installed on the pump prior to installation, hence the removal of the flue.

As far as does the pump work...it better work! but that's not in any way the focus here. The focus here is that it was and still remains to be labeled "Brand New".

OP
OP
Gil03

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- I received a call from an alleged manager in the customer service department this morning. They're stern in that the pump is brand new, they don't send out anything used and again that appears to be normal buildup from the testing phase.

I questioned the conditions of the testing phase and the manager could not reveal what type of testing containers they use nor for how long but assured me they're clean containers. They did offer to take the pump back and send another one so now it looks like I'll be removing my return again for another round.

Look, any reefer that's been in the hobby for a while knows this pump is not new, or to be clear not to the standard of a new product. I just don't understand why they double down on the stupid when they're prepared to send out another one. Just apologize for the mistake/inconvenience, own it and move forward with resolve. Insulting customers intelligence is not a good look by any means.

Last edited:

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as soon as the new pump comes in you can quickly determine whether the company was trying to bully you around. Document it and take additional pictures. I would still consider taking this another level if the pump you get back is 100% clean looking. Atleast it is getting sorted out for you, imagine how many people stopped with a seemly used pump...

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be the devil's advocate. How do we know the OP isn't taking a picture of his used pump to bash EM? We have no way to prove either side is telling the truth. These threads are pure heressay without prove of who is telling the truth.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would OP lie exactly? Companies have a financial motivation to lie... You work for EM?
Not saying it is happening here, but it happens a lot. People will by a new item, and then return old items in the new box. Why? Either to get a new product because they broke thiers (or dropped their controller in the sump), or to get another one to sell. Again, not saying anything about this case, but it certainly happens.

OP
OP
Gil03

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be the devil's advocate. How do we know the OP isn't taking a picture of his used pump to bash EM? We have no way to prove either side is telling the truth. These threads are pure heressay without prove of who is telling the truth.

lol, So in the given thread I've mentioned that not only does the replacement pump they sent work but that they also offered to send another in replace of that one. Furthermore I've also stated that it working is not in question but rather that they stand firm on the assertion that the replacement is brand new, in which I simply can't agree with and that's all my specific point is about and nothing else.

I think in rational thought one would assume that if the intent here was to simply fabricate a scenario in an effort to bash the company I would've left it at "Ecotech sent me a used dang pump and tried to pass it off as new" with no update from their end to follow up and certainly NOT mention their willingness to send out yet another.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would OP lie exactly? Companies have a financial motivation to lie... You work for EM?
Sigh......... Two sides to every story.
Wow, this took a turn. Accusing the OP of this nonsense is absurd. Looks like we have 2 shills for EM. Fanboyism at it's best.
Why? There are two sides to EVERY situation. Just listening to one side without the other is preposterous. People right poor reviews etc. all the time just because they can. Only fanboy I'm a member of is facts and the truth.
lol, So in the given thread I've mentioned that not only does the replacement pump they sent work but that they also offered to send another in replace of that one. Furthermore I've also stated that it working is not in question but rather that they stand firm on the assertion that the replacement is brand new, in which I simply can't agree with and that's all my specific point is about and nothing else.

I think in rational thought one would assume that if the intent here was to simply fabricate a scenario in an effort to bash the company I would've left it at "Ecotech sent me a used dang pump and tried to pass it off as new" with no update from their end to follow up and certainly NOT mention their willingness to send out yet another.
I find it odd you feel the need to make a thread to air out your situation with EM. I mean I've had issues with companies before and I don't go online to post about it. The point of your thread was to paint EM in a bad light.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh......... Two sides to every story.

Why? There are two sides to EVERY situation. Just listening to one side without the other is preposterous. People right poor reviews etc. all the time just because they can. Only fanboy I'm a member of is facts and the truth.

I find it odd you feel the need to make a thread to air out your situation with EM. I mean I've had issues with companies before and I don't go online to post about it. The point of your thread was to paint EM in a bad light.
Sigh....... your right, this member just wanted to put EM in a bad light. Does that go the same for everyone who has had a bad experience with EM??

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back