!!!YOU MAY NOW HAVE ALSO NOTICED............

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, a while back I made a fuss about using these little cups to ship sps. you can read all about it here.

Well, after I posted that thread I was inundated with info on options for other ways to protect frags in bags while shipping. One such guy who contacted me was Mike from a company called @reefprinter. Super nice guy and a pleasure to deal with. Don't hesitate to contact him if you are interested in any of these! Not sure if he's on here or not, but he sent me a few of these 3d printed frag cages.

IMG_4333.jpeg

And I took an interest.

Long story short, I had another friend @Projects with Sam who I'd worked with on a few 3d print projects already, map out a branded version in both my blue and yellow colors even, and print me up a few hundred. I have been using them selectively now for a couple months on certain pieces I know have been poor shippers, and other pieces that are fully encrusted around the plug. The idea is that the cage will keep any part of the encrusted plug from rubbing up against the bag causing stress in transit. Now I haven’t really gotten lot of real world feedback on them yet oddly enough,but I will keep using them intermittently for sure in an effort to safeguard larger frags in transit.

So let’s hear it. Have you received any frags in the cages from me yet? And if so how did they fare? Do you think they helped and was it a pain to get them out. I’d love any any all feedback at this point.

IMG_5818.jpeg

IMG_5820.jpeg

IMG_5814.jpeg

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotten a few. Seemed like step one is to take the top pieces off and then take frag out of the base holder. Protected frags pretty well but was a pain to get off frag - mainly those that are encrusted around base because I felt like I didn't have a good way to hold onto the frag to get it out. Normally I'd push from the bottom of a cup but these hold onto the plug a little too well so I was trying to carefully pull on the encrusted base without damage. Next time I think I'll try and snip the holder off with some bone cutters.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a while back I made a fuss about using these little cups to ship sps. you can read all about it here.

Well, after I posted that thread I was inundated with info on options for other ways to protect frags in bags while shipping. One such guy who contacted me was Mike from a company called @reefprinter. Super nice guy and a pleasure to deal with. Don't hesitate to contact him if you are interested in any of these! Not sure if he's on here or not, but he sent me a few of these 3d printed frag cages.

IMG_4333.jpeg

And I took an interest.

Long story short, I had another friend @Projects with Sam who I'd worked with on a few 3d print projects already, map out a branded version in both my blue and yellow colors even, and print me up a few hundred. I have been using them selectively now for a couple months on certain pieces I know have been poor shippers, and other pieces that are fully encrusted around the plug. The idea is that the cage will keep any part of the encrusted plug from rubbing up against the bag causing stress in transit. Now I haven’t really gotten lot of real world feedback on them yet oddly enough,but I will keep using them intermittently for sure in an effort to safeguard larger frags in transit.

So let’s hear it. Have you received any frags in the cages from me yet? And if so how did they fare? Do you think they helped and was it a pain to get them out. I’d love any any all feedback at this point.

IMG_5818.jpeg

IMG_5820.jpeg

IMG_5814.jpeg
Can’t wait!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

IMG_4333.jpeg

And I took an interest.

IMG_5818.jpeg

IMG_5820.jpeg

IMG_5814.jpeg

Genius!!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gotten a few. Seemed like step one is to take the top pieces off and then take frag out of the base holder. Protected frags pretty well but was a pain to get off frag - mainly those that are encrusted around base because I felt like I didn't have a good way to hold onto the frag to get it out. Normally I'd push from the bottom of a cup but these hold onto the plug a little too well so I was trying to carefully pull on the encrusted base without damage. Next time I think I'll try and snip the holder off with some bone cutters.
Yes I totally hear you. And this is the double edged sword I brought up in the first thread. The act of actually using these sorts of things is the effective stressor.

For me, pushing them in to the holders seems super stressful. Especially on fully encrusted frags where i have no place to actually press down without crushing the skeleton a little. Seeming a bit counter productive. Again especially just before going in that bag. I hate the idea of any stress at all just before bagging.

I have been trying to pull them from the shaft down in an effort not to disturb the encrusted skeleton. I've said it before but in a lot of ways fully encrusted frags are not so great when it comes to shipping. This sort of stuff being the reason.

Anyway I'll keep moving forward no matter what in an effort to improve frag survival and shipping conditions. Thanks a lot for the feedback! Quick question, none of the caged frags were doa then so far?

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I totally hear you. And this is the double edged sword I brought up in the first thread. The act of actually using these sorts of things is the effective stressor.

For me, pushing them in to the holders seems super stressful. Especially on fully encrusted frags where i have no place to actually press down without crushing the skeleton a little. Seeming a bit counter productive. Again especially just before going in that bag. I hate the idea of any stress at all just before bagging.

I have been trying to pull them from the shaft down in an effort not to disturb the encrusted skeleton. I've said it before but in a lot of ways fully encrusted frags are not so great when it comes to shipping. This sort of stuff being the reason.

Anyway I'll keep moving forward no matter what in an effort to improve frag survival and shipping conditions. Thanks a lot for the feedback! Quick question, none of the caged frags were doa then so far?
You could have it snap around the plug instead of having to push it in.

Cleven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting ;-).

To insert and remove simply twist on the base popping on from the sides. You don’t need to be direct and more sideload. Either works.
edit; as Adam said above.

Last edited:

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To be honest I don't remember which came caged. From what I recall I think all the caged ones have been fine. I do remember one or two really chunky ones barely fitting in there... You may need a bigger cage for some occasions lol

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Interesting ;-).

To insert and remove simply twist on the base popping on from the sides. You don’t need to be direct and more sideload. Either works.
edit; as Adam said above.
Hey thanks for chiming in! For those of you that do not know this @Cleven is the actual inventor of these things! Super cool to have you involved in the thread.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back