You Still Ordering Livestock?

Are you still ordering livestock or are you going to wait it out?

• I'm still ordering and not worried

Votes: 323 32.8%
  • I'm ordering but being cautious about delivery

Votes: 189 19.2%
  • No I am not ordering right now

Votes: 428 43.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 44 4.5%

• Total voters

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to do an overnight fish order from the West coast to Vermont soon, been keeping an eye on the overnight lows now that it's warming up.

I put a coral order in yesterday for next week, Maine to Vermont, hope for the best. I always worry about shipping whether it is overnight or two day.

What part of Vermont are you in?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were looking for fish I would either wait, possibly a long time, or get them now. With the drastic increase in freight costs, the closing of the big wholesalers and lack of flights out of collection countries now is the time. Aquactured coral are probably safe. I'm still at work and called essential but with the issues with lack of customers and issues getting stock I'm not sure for how much longer and can't justify spending.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were looking for fish I would either wait, possibly a long time, or get them now. With the drastic increase in freight costs, the closing of the big wholesalers and lack of flights out of collection countries now is the time. Aquactured coral are probably safe. I'm still at work and called essential but with the issues with lack of customers and issues getting stock I'm not sure for how much longer and can't justify spending.

I see a livestock shortage on the horizon, at least in my area, the main saltwater store isn't bringing in any livestock, and the other small stores I go to seem to be doing the same, too difficult at the moment to ensure timely delivery of cargo from overseas, and reduction in more and more flights it making it more difficult.

Before I was laid off, we had flights come in with dozen or more boxes of aquarium fish off flights and now the airport is a virtual ghost town almost.

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bunch of people on fb. We’re telling people the shipping has arrived earlier than normal on overnight shipments

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because the jury is still out in my mind, due to possible shipping delays. I know many of you have said you've received everything on time, and that's great, and pet supplies are supposed to be considered essential, but it took over a week to get my dog and cat food from chewy.com and I live an hour and a half from their distribution center and usually receive everything next day.

I'm ordering almost everything for the household online, and it's taking weeks to get most stuff in, with some expected delivery dates at the end of April. I personally feel that FedEx and UPS are just a bit overwhelmed, and for this reason, I'm nervous about ordering anything live.

I keep looking at stuff and since I'm considered essential and working at home (at least for now), it would be a great time to be able to receive them on delivery and spend more time observing them, but then I also feel a bit of guilt if I'm ordering livestock that aren't really essential and taking up delivery spots that could delay others from getting real essentials.

Long story short, I haven't ordered any livestock since this started getting worse, and I'm not sure if I will for a while, but like I said, the jury is still out on this one.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because the jury is still out in my mind, due to possible shipping delays. I know many of you have said you've received everything on time, and that's great, and pet supplies are supposed to be considered essential, but it took over a week to get my dog and cat food from chewy.com and I live an hour and a half from their distribution center and usually receive everything next day.

I'm ordering almost everything for the household online, and it's taking weeks to get most stuff in, with some expected delivery dates at the end of April. I personally feel that FedEx and UPS are just a bit overwhelmed, and for this reason, I'm nervous about ordering anything live.

I keep looking at stuff and since I'm considered essential and working at home (at least for now), it would be a great time to be able to receive them on delivery and spend more time observing them, but then I also feel a bit of guilt if I'm ordering livestock that aren't really essential and taking up delivery spots that could delay others from getting real essentials.

Long story short, I haven't ordered any livestock since this started getting worse, and I'm not sure if I will for a while, but like I said, the jury is still out on this one.
Chewy sent me an auto email right AFTER I paid to state that there were delays after stating thru the payment process that all order will arrive between 1-2 days! In fact their website still says that today! I immediately cancelled as they didn’t inform before payment which I think is a bit slippery. Had to go thru the hassle of a cancellation process where they get back to you in 2 days to confirm. Not my idea of good customer service. I’ve used 3 others....Amazon, LiveAquaria (livestock shipment coming Tuesday) and Saltwaer aquarium with absolutely no problems SO FAR. Of course it can all change quickly but I feel good about those 3 that if something were to go wrong they would inform immediately ... NOT the case with Chewy at all.

U

User1

View Badges
No. No personal coral or fish shopping online. There are two reasons:

1. Shipping delays. There is a higher risk of delay regardless of carrier.
2. Non essential. Personal preference here but I believe there are bigger things going on in the world that require shipping and logistical resources.

I do, on the other hand, believe that LFS are essential to some degree depending on the supplies we have stored. Pets need food just like we do so my preference is to support local at this time to help keep them afloat. I wouldn't go window shopping for corals or fish but dry supplies or food is good.

I've exchanged emails with one online vendor if I could purchase a frag but have them keep it to ship at a later date once everything settles. I believe that is a pretty good compromise.

Eric Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the cut in hours from work the funds are just not there, the desire sure is.

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see or hear any package delivery handling cautions from the health officials or government.
I believe if you just wash your hands well after handling your package and items inside.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this economic climate right now just ordering what is absolutely needed and nothing else. Wife's business is non-existent with this going on and paying $150 for a 1/2 inch frag just ain't in the plans for the forseeable future.

Heck really wasn't doing so even when her business was doing well. I still work ATM, but things are going to get much worse the longer this continues. More businesses will have to close their doors and more people will loose their jobs.

And the predatory pricing doesn't help that much either.

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to order some stuff right now because I'm bored, and want to add some corals, and I don't want to drive over to WWC or TSA and go inside (and we're on a stay at home order anyway). But I'm not sure if it's a good idea right now for multiple reasons.
I'm in Orlando I sometimes shop wwc but top shelf and living reef are closer.

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not shopping at the moment because I just added 5 species of zoas and I waiting for things to stabilize before I do anything else. I don't think handling packages is a problem if you take precautions.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm in Orlando I sometimes shop wwc but top shelf and living reef are closer.

WWC is the closest for me, about 18 min from my house, living Reef a little over 30. But Living Reef had their live sale this weekend and I ended up buying 6 corals from them. They are doing curbside pickup so I’ll stop by and get those today.

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC is the closest for me, about 18 min from my house, living Reef a little over 30. But Living Reef had their live sale this weekend and I ended up buying 6 corals from them. They are doing curbside pickup so I’ll stop by and get those today.
nice 80% of my corals are from there I have fish from sea in the city and my sps corals are from top shelf.

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are both "high risk" so when our pets food comes in from Chewy and I have a pair of clowns ordered so when they arrive we wipe down the boxes with Lysol double action wipes before bringing them into the house and then the contents of the package once opened. May be a bit too much but better safe than sorry.

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are both "high risk" so when our pets food comes in from Chewy and I have a pair of clowns ordered so when they arrive we wipe down the boxes with Lysol double action wipes before bringing them into the house and then the contents of the package once opened. May be a bit too much but better safe than sorry.
Definitely you do what you must and stay healthy. maybe after all this blows over we could sit and talk over a beer or glass of wine.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 140 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.3%
Back