Your favorite friendly gobies?

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I see gobies, firefish and dartfish in the lfs I get borderline obsessed! They are so interesting!

I know that so many of them are territorial and prefer to be alone. So...

Tell me/show me your favorites that buck the trend and live happily with each other!

Bonus points for ones who won’t send this reefer closer to bankruptcy!

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 fire fish who are best friends. People say they should be kept alone but they school and pair in the wild. Other than that watchmen gobies are pretty chill and good character fish.

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although my pink spotted hasn't lived with another Goby, it gets along with all its other tankmates. Super interesting fish. And as a bonus, it will not break the bank.

20190207_194610.jpg

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 2 fire fish with the banded goby. I know the fires aren't too goby like but they're in the family. They do fine together

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always consider firefish/dartfish to be separate from Gobies, so I don't count them. As for Gobies, Watchman Gobies and Clown Gobies are probably my favorite from a personality and entertainment standpoint.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Gobies”, ie, dartfish, watchman, clowns, etc, etc are great fish. Too many to list that are favorites, but, just like many other marine fish, can be aggressive or territorial. There’s just like 8 gazillion to choose from

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like gobies but don't think friendly is the adjective. Most of those I've seen just sit there with a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp. Don't get me wrong I still think they are a great addition to a tank but most don't do an awful lot, like my favourite wheelers, but add interest if paired with a pistol shrimp.
The best goby imo is a yellow coral goby, colourful and more comical unless you have sps. Apart from that cleaner gobies are great, nice and busy, plus happily live in groups.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like gobies but don't think friendly is the adjective. Most of those I've seen just sit there with a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp. Don't get me wrong I still think they are a great addition to a tank but most don't do an awful lot, like my favourite wheelers, but add interest if paired with a pistol shrimp.
The best goby imo is a yellow coral goby, colourful and more comical unless you have sps. Apart from that cleaner gobies are great, nice and busy, plus happily live in groups.

I’m interested in the goby/shrimp combo; but have also heard horror stories with pistol shrimp killing or injuring other livestock, and becoming a nuisance animal. Any experience there?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested in the goby/shrimp combo; but have also heard horror stories with pistol shrimp killing or injuring other livestock, and becoming a nuisance animal. Any experience there?

Depends on what you are like really. By that I mean some love them and think their antics add to the interest but others think they are a pain. For me I think they are well worth it, you do get mounds of sand appear and an area where it's not safe to put corals but that's a small price to pay.

I've heard stories of them having issues with other livestock but personally not had any myself. It depends on which species of pistol shrimp you get as some are bigger than others. I would be very surprised if you had any problems with a randalls pistol (good paired with a randalls, wheeler or Yasha goby), simply because they stay small. If you want a bigger pistol more likely to be out more then the bellus (great with a yellow watchman, orangespot like above or the larger shrimp gobies), they tend to be more bulldozers but are great if you have some space.
I can't really see them attacking fish unless the fish isn't in good health. In the wild there are many predatory species of pistol that do eat fish and other critters but the symbiotic ones are much safer. I know people who have lost their goby to them but this is a natural process where a weak partner is consumed so the nutrients aren't wasted. This only happens if the goby was on its way out anyway.
I've seen them try to incorporate cuc into their burrows but not try to eat them. Normally the hermit or snail then slowly escapes when the pistol is digging elsewhere. I've also not had any problems with ornamental shrimp, including ones that shared the burrow with them so in my opinion they are pretty safe and not something I'd worry about but you could be unlucky I guess.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you are like really. By that I mean some love them and think their antics add to the interest but others think they are a pain. For me I think they are well worth it, you do get mounds of sand appear and an area where it's not safe to put corals but that's a small price to pay.

I've heard stories of them having issues with other livestock but personally not had any myself. It depends on which species of pistol shrimp you get as some are bigger than others. I would be very surprised if you had any problems with a randalls pistol (good paired with a randalls, wheeler or Yasha goby), simply because they stay small. If you want a bigger pistol more likely to be out more then the bellus (great with a yellow watchman, orangespot like above or the larger shrimp gobies), they tend to be more bulldozers but are great if you have some space.
I can't really see them attacking fish unless the fish isn't in good health. In the wild there are many predatory species of pistol that do eat fish and other critters but the symbiotic ones are much safer. I know people who have lost their goby to them but this is a natural process where a weak partner is consumed so the nutrients aren't wasted. This only happens if the goby was on its way out anyway.
I've seen them try to incorporate cuc into their burrows but not try to eat them. Normally the hermit or snail then slowly escapes when the pistol is digging elsewhere. I've also not had any problems with ornamental shrimp, including ones that shared the burrow with them so in my opinion they are pretty safe and not something I'd worry about but you could be unlucky I guess.

Thanks for the really extensive write up on that! I’ve seen where Divers Den, as well as a lfs that I visit on occasion sell them as a bonded pair already. I might look into that!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The shrimp will not harm anything, I have had a mating pair living in my reef for a few years. They will dig tunnels all over the tank going all the way to the glass in all directions causing the rocks to shift. They also may pile up huge hills of sand but they are very cool and good scavengers.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back