Favorite gobies for 65 gallon reef?

pjg250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m new here and about a year away from my first tank. I’m looking at a Waterbox 65.4 AIO. I’m doing a ton of research, but I’ve kind of fallen in love with a tank that has mostly small and peaceful fish. I really like the goofy and pretty look of gobies.

I’m also interested in having some softies to get used to corals.

Here’s what I know I want:

- 2 ocellaris clowns
- 1 firefish
- 1 shrimp & goby pair

Any reef-safe gobies you’d add to this? I’m not sure I’m interested in culturing pods, so maybe avoid fish that are dependent on those for now?

Thanks for any help!

GammaYankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a yellow watchman goby. Target feeding him creates the bound between you, and makes it a real pet.

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't kept one, but I'm planning on getting a Rainford's Goby. If you don't know what they are, I recommend checking out Rainford's gobies and Hector's gobies. They are known to eat cyano, hair algae, and sometimes sift a bit of the top layer of sand.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m new here and about a year away from my first tank. I’m looking at a Waterbox 65.4 AIO. I’m doing a ton of research, but I’ve kind of fallen in love with a tank that has mostly small and peaceful fish. I really like the goofy and pretty look of gobies.

- 2 ocellaris clowns
- 1 firefish
- 1 shrimp & goby pair

Any reef-safe gobies you’d add to this? I’m not sure I’m interested in culturing pods, so maybe avoid fish that are dependent on those for now?

Thanks for any help!
The watchmen you get with the pistol shimp is always a fun pair! You should also look into blennies. They are the goofiest fish, peaceful unless you have more than one blenny. Midas is my favorite for personality and color!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fav goby is Dracula Goby

Loves the subtle but distinct difference to others. Are

Other that, Randall’s and pink bar are also great!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres several gobies I’d put in there;
First off Clown Gobies. There’s so many that you can have red, yellow, green, black among other colours. And they’ll just sit and perch on the rocks and coral.
Then some sort of pistol shrimp/Goby pairing, I personally love the Yasha Goby and Candy Pistol Shrimp pairing.
And obviously then some gobies for the water column so how about a school of Eviota and Trimma gobies?

douglasbnyhof

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- 2 ocellaris clowns
- 1 firefish
- 1 shrimp & goby pair

Thanks for any help!
Diamond gobies are my favourite. They’re fun to watch and as an added benefit they sift the sand bed keeping it clean.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back