OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp will not harm anything, I have had a mating pair living in my reef for a few years. They will dig tunnels all over the tank going all the way to the glass in all directions causing the rocks to shift. They also may pile up huge hills of sand but they are very cool and good scavengers.
Very cool. You guys may have talked me into this. I’m trying to run an invert heavy tank, so that would be a neat addition!

Also, what awesome goby did you give a photo of? That guy has some amazing color!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget, I think it's a Citron but I could be wrong

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul's goby is a Gobiodon histrio, one of the smaller more cryptic gobies. The Citron goby is basically a larger version.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the cool ideas and suggestions!

In doing a lot of researching on the topic, it seems like the goby/shrimp combo is extremely popular, but I also see where a lot of people fail to get the two to pair up. Is it easier to try to buy them as a pair to begin with?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Firefish goby and diamondback goby

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the cool ideas and suggestions!

In doing a lot of researching on the topic, it seems like the goby/shrimp combo is extremely popular, but I also see where a lot of people fail to get the two to pair up. Is it easier to try to buy them as a pair to begin with?

The thing I find funny is when people sell them as bonded pairs because there is no bond and the pistol or goby may not live in the same hole even if sold as such.
The best chance of success is to release them into the same area or let the pistol begin it's burrow first and then add the goby. You also need to make sure that they are a compatible pair and by that I mean a species pair formation that would naturally happen as big pistols like bellus wouldn't pair up with small gobies like black ray gobies, and randals don't pair up with larger species like pink spot.
Gobies aren't the most aggressive fish so if your planning a tank full of them and have a compatible mix then I'm sure one of them will pair. I used to order pistols and gobies in separately when I ran a shop and normally by the next morning they would be living together. My personal record is 4 different goby species living in the same hole with one pistol, it was fun if short lived (when they sold).

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of shrimp gobys in general; we have a Randall's with a tiger pistol. Some people dont like the occasional sand storm (more like detritus storm) they kick up on occasion but this one of the reasons I have them (not much else cleans up under the rock).

38801699405_461216c6ca_h.jpg

Diamond gobys are another favorite for the ability to keep the sand looking pristine without dragging it across the tank like a golden head sleeper. A must have in my tanks (no issues between them and the shrimp goby).

39699384981_abd90e74d3_h.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Tangaroa Goby that paired with my Randall's pistol shrimp. I need to get a pic of them together, which should be easy, since the pistol set up shop on the side of the tank. I love cleaner gobies, Neon and Sharknose are both great additions and are fun to watch. Also, they are one of the best cleaners out there.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have the following
1 Yellow tailed Arora goby
1 yellow watchman goby
1 Orange spot goby
1 Tangerine striped goby
2 Purple Decorums
And they all live between 2 rock both under aand in 2 rocks at opposite ends of the tank. They all get on well together and I don't have any problems with them and the dearest was about £30.
They are in with Wrasses, Dwarf angels, and tangs all get on fine.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are mine...minus my watchmen who is so hard to get a pic of haha!

The citron can be a little turd sometimes and gets in my clowns business, but never causes any harm!

BE060627-0A2E-4D1D-ABDC-EE2F44330ACB.jpeg

14D53E18-F3E6-4708-A2E0-EEF0D8F6552A.jpeg

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a wheeers shrimp goby, he was only about an inch long but he was super entertaining to me. Im sad he decided to jump out.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two diamond gobies, a yellow head and a black fin. They all get along fine. The black fin likes to take all of their food to his cave, so I have to feed and wait for him to grab and go, then feed the rest. Other than that, they are just fine together.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a wheeers shrimp goby, he was only about an inch long but he was super entertaining to me. Im sad he decided to jump out.
I lost one diamond goby to the 1/2” gap between the lid and hob in my quarantine tank. It’s duct taped over now. But all it takes is a gap big enough for them to squeeze through and they’ll find it

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one these. Love how he just hangs out on the coral or "under the covers" in my GSP
Gobys stay almost exclusively on the sandbed and blennys stay more on the rocks/open water.
Maybe the case by my yellow and green clown gobies like to be on the rock or the corals.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back