Your go to corals for MOVEMENT in a saltwater reef tank are...

How much do you care about coral "movement" in your tank?

• A lot

Votes: 318 67.8%
  • Very little

Votes: 120 25.6%
  • Not at all

Votes: 22 4.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.9%

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t dislike coral movement, but excessive movement or long tentacles or sweepers can be hard to manage in a mixed reef.

that said I really like goniopora and alveopora for the look and movement. Torches are just meh at best, cool but not for me.
This is extremely similar to me, if I want movement I go to the acros with longer polyps than others.
Similar to the acro below (Not mine - I think it’s from POTO).
97C23D83-382E-41AC-A814-05F4DB39BB6B.jpeg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a lot but need everything to be peaceful in my tiny 5g so I just have a Corky Sea Finger gorg that looks like it sways a lot because of its long polyps. My other gorgs don't move. I have a xenia type coral but it doesn't move much. Can folks recommend any other peaceful corals that sway? If the corky's came in a multitude of colours I would have a whole tank just full of those.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a lot but need everything to be peaceful in my tiny 5g so I just have a Corky Sea Finger gorg that looks like it sways a lot because of its long polyps. My other gorgs don't move. I have a xenia type coral but it doesn't move much. Can folks recommend any other peaceful corals that sway? If the corky's came in a multitude of colours I would have a whole tank just full of those.
GSP, but as you know they can be invasive if not isolated properly.
it honestly all depends on how much flow you have in that 5g, if you put xenia and gsp in a semi dead spot they wont move much.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP, but as you know they can be invasive if not isolated properly.
it honestly all depends on how much flow you have in that 5g, if you put xenia and gsp in a semi dead spot they wont move much.
Ya, I might have to move my xenia. It kind of looks cool standing their looking like a tree but it should sway more. I know about gsp. I actually had a frag and killed it if you can believe it. I feel ashamed to admit that considering its weed like status. Haha. I was going through the uglies and it started receding a little because of the algae settling on it. I tried gently taking the algae off with a toothbrush whenever the polyps were retracted and I think over time I might've rubbed the polyps off. I'm not entirely sure what happened to it. I did the same thing with my corky and it's fine. So weird. I might try another frag. I know they can be invasive but they sure are beautiful and mesmerizing to watch when it feeds.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I might have to move my xenia. It kind of looks cool standing their looking like a tree but it should sway more. I know about gsp. I actually had a frag and killed it if you can believe it. I feel ashamed to admit that considering its weed like status. Haha. I was going through the uglies and it started receding a little because of the algae settling on it. I tried gently taking the algae off with a toothbrush whenever the polyps were retracted and I think over time I might've rubbed the polyps off. I'm not entirely sure what happened to it. I did the same thing with my corky and it's fine. So weird. I might try another frag. I know they can be invasive but they sure are beautiful and mesmerizing to watch when it feeds.
Don't worry about it I cant keep xenia tried it three separate times but they would just disappear.

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have found that soft makeup brushes work a lot better than toothbrushes, when dealing with coral. A toothbrush has served a better purpose at cleaning power heads and things that can take a more stiff/aggressive bristle.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Euphyllia. Specifically hammers. I can't seem to bring myself to paying the hundreds of dollars for a nice torch. Also gonis and alveoporas. I agree with gsp also... looks awesome as long as it's on the back glass!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I recommend Ricordea Florida, they don’t get as large as Yuma does and in the right flow they are beautiful.
Here’s my yellow R. florida. It’s one of the brightest corals in the tank along with the Purple Slimer (Pictured below).
image.jpg
image.jpg

My GSP is decent for mine ent but I wouldn’t dare to move it onto the rocks from the back wall.
image.jpg

These are my three favourite corals for movement in a nano tank. And that’s saying something… I have a Tennis Ball sized Hammer in the corner that’s beautiful but adds almost no flow (Meaning the sweater tentacles can’t get currounding corals Atleast).

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because I feel corals are not the only thing that adds movement to a tank. Its true that a torch and such will add a ton of movement, and who doesn't love a torch, BUT, for those SPS stickheads like myself, I feel fish can add just as much movement to a tank as torches and such can. PLUS, a grown out SPS colony, especially millis, can add a ton of movement.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely euphyllia, especially my Torches. Also GSP and my Duncan’s. I think I will be adding my sinularia once it grows a little taller and is in the same amount of flow as my Duncans

Attachments

• 025BF9CF-AEE4-4559-83C0-3B5E40698B3D.jpeg
    025BF9CF-AEE4-4559-83C0-3B5E40698B3D.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 30
  • CD6E360D-8526-41E5-A38E-AB66E8419880.jpeg
    CD6E360D-8526-41E5-A38E-AB66E8419880.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 31
  • B1DCABA4-5903-46DD-8461-F9A5DC9B438E.jpeg
    B1DCABA4-5903-46DD-8461-F9A5DC9B438E.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 5AEE35AA-56AD-4F7E-9354-23CF71C0815D.jpeg
    5AEE35AA-56AD-4F7E-9354-23CF71C0815D.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 29

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are they showing aggression towards each other?
Hey there, they are actually doing really well and I haven't had to intervene yet. They work out all spats on their own. The first month I was concerned and thought that I would definitely need to rehome a couple of the smaller ones or larger ones.

There's one that was originally a bully and we named him Bruno, he was mid sized in comparison to the rest. Bruno now is one of the largest and still rules but is a great leader and keeps the peace between them all. There is the occasional tethered fins that usually heal in a few days but no flesh wounds yet or serious injuries.

They have an established pecking order and they also still school together. It's one of my all-time favorite things that I have done in this hobby next to clownfish breeding.

Here's a vid of when they came in. They were each 1.5"-2" back in January and are now currently all 2-3" and completely yellow...

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, they are actually doing really well and I haven't had to intervene yet. They work out all spats on their own. The first month I was concerned and thought that I would definitely need to rehome a couple of the smaller ones or larger ones.

There's one that was originally a bully and we named him Bruno, he was mid sized in comparison to the rest. Bruno now is one of the largest and still rules but is a great leader and keeps the peace between them all. There is the occasional tethered fins that usually heal in a few days but no flesh wounds yet or serious injuries.

They have an established pecking order and they also still school together. It's one of my all-time favorite things that I have done in this hobby next to clownfish breeding.

Here's a vid of when they came in. They were each 1.5"-2" back in January and are now currently all 2-3" and completely yellow...

Thank you! Will check the video out.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have found that soft makeup brushes work a lot better than toothbrushes, when dealing with coral. A toothbrush has served a better purpose at cleaning power heads and things that can take a more stiff/aggressive bristle.
Thanks for this. I will try that out. I'm not sure if the toothbrush killed the gsp but I certainly don't want to risk that happening to other corals just in case it did.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I recommend Ricordea Florida, they don’t get as large as Yuma does and in the right flow they are beautiful.
Here’s my yellow R. florida. It’s one of the brightest corals in the tank along with the Purple Slimer (Pictured below).
image.jpg
image.jpg

My GSP is decent for mine ent but I wouldn’t dare to move it onto the rocks from the back wall.
image.jpg

These are my three favourite corals for movement in a nano tank. And that’s saying something… I have a Tennis Ball sized Hammer in the corner that’s beautiful but adds almost no flow (Meaning the sweater tentacles can’t get currounding corals Atleast).
Thanks for this! I will check them out. I need a bit more variety like these corals. :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back