Your greatest reefing accomplishments in 2019 and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Did you have any notable accomplishments as a reef hobbyist in 2019?

• Yes

Votes: 177 73.8%
  • None that I can think of....

Votes: 58 24.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

Utahsaltnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great Coral growth for my first year with them and fully stocked all the fish I wanted (with minimal fighting)

76F34D41-05E1-484E-8AC8-F6A6D0E79A6A.jpeg

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my greatest accomplishment this year is being able to keep coral. In the past I could barely keep xenia alive. Now I have too much! My zoanthids are booming, possibly semi photosynthetic sponges everywhere, have a happy little school of chromis, and my anemone shrimp have eggs. I am planning/dreaming for a few more show - stopping inverts to add to the mix, some interesting macroalgae, and more soft corals. As I like to say, you can never have too many soft corals!

nosmok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides getting good SPS growth on the Triton method with the addition of T5's to my Radions, My greatest accomplishment was getting our local reef club to host it's first frag swap and the first in Memphis for 8 years!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest accomplishment is NOT being suckered into buying a single polyp zoa for $24.99 during a Live Sale.

Ridiculous....

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What would you consider your greatest reefing accomplishment in 2019?

Finally got my AWC system going after months of research and fiddling. Still tweaking with the help of this awesome community.

2. How did you grow to be a better hobbyist in 2019 and what could you do different in 2020?

I've learned SO much just through interaction with my fellow reefers. I definitely feel like I've become a more patient and intuitive reefer. Not sure what I will do differently, but I'm sure something will present itself.

Happy New Year everybody!

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing I have done this year is to join this community! Not every bit of advice at R2R is spot on, but you can be almost 100% assured that someone will have an answer to your questions or some advice. No more counting on the LFS guy alone for pointers.

I also have to mention that I am very humbled to have been a part of the 2019 Christmas toy drive here. It is incredible to see fellow reefers, vendors, and just plain good folks take an ambitious goal and absolutely blow it to smithereens!

I wish all of you the best in 2020!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES!

I solved for dinoflagellates 2 and 1/2 times!

Anybody with a spare bucket of phosphates I can borrow? Maybe a jug of nitrates just to be sure? Another hundred watts
of UV would really help seal the deal I think.

j/k. Almost done. Who can top this?

OK, the Toy-Drive Reefers have it. I'll wait till next year.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Funny is, on Dec 31, 2018, you asked similar question and My answer was to go much larger in tank size and in April 2019, I got my 660g system. I also stated that I would own Orphek Atlantiks and I have 5 across and 2 orphek light bars

2. How did you grow to be a better hobbyist in 2019 and what could you do different in 2020?

Paid attention to the best hobby resource - R2R and I added the best equipment possible, added a very valuable component- CA Reactor and algae scrubber and I have never had a clearer, healthier, easier to maintain system. In 2020, I will continue to do something I rarely did which is Water Changes in which results have shown.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Funny is, on Dec 31, 2018, you asked similar question and My answer was to go much larger in tank size and in April 2019, I got my 660g system. I also stated that I would own Orphek Atlantiks and I have 5 across and 2 orphek light bars

Paid attention to the best hobby resource - R2R and I added the best equipment possible, added a very valuable component- CA Reactor and algae scrubber and I have never had a clearer, healthier, easier to maintain system. In 2020, I will continue to do something I rarely did which is Water Changes in which results have shown.

There he goes again rubbing that lovely new CaRx in my face AGAIN. That's it. I am buying a C8 like tomorrow. Or the next day. :)

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greatest accomplishment in 2019: Not tearing down the tank due to excessive algae outbreak. Almost got out of the hobby and threw in the towel. However, patience paid off and now the tank is looking great again.

What did I do to be a better hobbyist in 2019 and what would I do different in 2020: Apply even more patience. Don't overreact when things go wrong. For 2020, consistency in tank parameters is my main goal. Want to dial in SPS skills. More automation is going to be a key strategy.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Eliminated crypto from my tank, got through the major uglies and figured out how to make my corals happy.

2. I grew better by learning from my mistakes and hope to not repeat any of them in the years to come.

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My greatest accomplishment was to stop messing with everything!! All of our equipment now make it so easy to tinker and change things and I have finally learned to get things set in a way to succeed and then just don’t change it! Also keeping my hands out of the tank as much as possible, it’s amazing the difference in growth and overall tank health.

Borg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy new year
My greatest accomplishment of 2019 would be, not strangling my puffer Luigi after he decided to chew on my tanks silicone.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back