Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never said it was a OCPD , by applying a larger load you increase the total % of loss causing a tripp in the device if its defective

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope im not supposed to be understanding anything you guys are saying lol

I just need to know how to figure out what's at fault or what to do until I can or what to do if nothing trips the outlet lol

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to get picky but a GFCI trips when there is an imbalance between the grounded and ungrounded conductors. The neutral carries the unbalanced load between two phases. Most GFCI receptacles trips between 4 and 6 milli-amps with a hospital grade GFCI tripping at 5 milli-amps. Sorry on with your discussion.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The neutral carries the unbalanced load between two phases.
You're getting into single-phase 208 and 3-phase terminology here...in 3-phase, when the load is perfectly balanced, you would get 0A on the neutral. We're talking single-phase 120V, in this instance, there should always be equal current on the ungrounded conductor (hot) and the grounded conductor (neutral). Note "grounded conductor" is the neutral in this case, not the ground, which is not (supposed to be) a current carrying conductor. See now that's what happens when I put on my EE hat and start talking in NEC speak lol

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i tried plugging the lights straight into the gfci outlet and it tripped it immediately. Happened with both blues and whites.
So does this mean i have a light box that is bad?
Since theyre daisy chained together i guess the next step is to plug each one by itself into the outlet?

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are the homeowner you should be able to install it yourself.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i tried plugging the lights straight into the gfci outlet and it tripped it immediately. Happened with both blues and whites.
So does this mean i have a light box that is bad?
I'd say, pretty good chance you found the culprit
Since theyre daisy chained together i guess the next step is to plug each one by itself into the outlet?
yes

I would also try plugging them into a different GFCI on a different circuit, just to eliminate any possibility of a faulty receptacle (it happens)

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I tried them in another circuit and it tripped that one immediately also. Weird thing is it didn't trip the first time i checked everything.. I was only plugging them back in to leave plugged longer.

So next question, I had replaced the led boards in all my black boxes with sb reef light panels. Those wouldnt be bad if theyre brand new right? Once I figure out which one is the culprit i should be able to buy a cheap black box and put my sb panel in it correct?

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're getting into single-phase 208 and 3-phase terminology here...in 3-phase, when the load is perfectly balanced, you would get 0A on the neutral. We're talking single-phase 120V, in this instance, there should always be equal current on the ungrounded conductor (hot) and the grounded conductor (neutral). Note "grounded conductor" is the neutral in this case, not the ground, which is not (supposed to be) a current carrying conductor. See now that's what happens when I put on my EE hat and start talking in NEC speak lol
What amperage goes out must come back[emoji16]

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I tried them in another circuit and it tripped that one immediately also. Weird thing is it didn't trip the first time i checked everything.. I was only plugging them back in to leave plugged longer.

So next question, I had replaced the led boards in all my black boxes with sb reef light panels. Those wouldnt be bad if theyre brand new right? Once I figure out which one is the culprit i should be able to buy a cheap black box and put my sb panel in it correct?
Ok this might sound really Captain Obvious of me here :eek: but it's either a bad trace on one of the PCBs or (here it comes) you have something touching the case or ground that should not be. (that's poking fun at me, not you)

Edit: it's possible that there's a solder blob causing a current path through the PCB to ground, etc...many possibilities here.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i figured out which black box was tripping the circuit. Went to plug everything else back in without that light box and the circuit tripped again..

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i figured out which black box was tripping the circuit. Went to plug everything else back in without that light box and the circuit tripped again..
The circuit or the Gfci?

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one of your pumps arent running correctly this could happen too. If a pump went into locked rotor the amperage would go really high really fast and cause the Gfci to trip as well. The Gfci will trip before the breaker would. It doesnt take much to trip those.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one of your pumps arent running correctly this could happen too. If a pump went into locked rotor the amperage would go really high really fast and cause the Gfci to trip as well. The Gfci will trip before the breaker would. It doesnt take much to trip those.
According to the apex is running about 6 amps right now
That's with everything plugged in except lights

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what's going on..
When i was plugging everything back in earlier the outlet tripped when i plugged in the 2nd cord of lights (it was the last thing to plug in, everything else was running)
So i unplugged lights and ran the tank without lights for over half hour while the lights were plugged into another gfci outlet and all was fine no trips on either outlet.
So i plugged lights back into same outlet as tank and so far everything is still good.

This is all without using the light box that tripped it before (the one i thought was the problem)

But something did cause it to trip once without that light..

I dunno what else it could be or what else I need to do to look into this problem.

But as of now everything is plugged in to the same outlet (minis the one light box) and so far so good

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what's going on..
When i was plugging everything back in earlier the outlet tripped when i plugged in the 2nd cord of lights (it was the last thing to plug in, everything else was running)
So i unplugged lights and ran the tank without lights for over half hour while the lights were plugged into another gfci outlet and all was fine no trips on either outlet.
So i plugged lights back into same outlet as tank and so far everything is still good.

This is all without using the light box that tripped it before (the one i thought was the problem)

But something did cause it to trip once without that light..

I dunno what else it could be or what else I need to do to look into this problem.

But as of now everything is plugged in to the same outlet (minis the one light box) and so far so good
I would replace the Gfci any way. It costs about 10 bucks. Better safe than sorry. The Gfci could be getting weak. Who knows

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace the Gfci any way. It costs about 10 bucks. Better safe than sorry. The Gfci could be getting weak. Who knows
Its brand new. Just installed it about 6 months ago and wasnt used at all till I sat tank up about a month ago.
Plus it's on the wall right behind the sump of my 150 gallon tank so very hard to get to lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back