Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening @Brew12

Whenever you have a second, I have a question I am sure has been asked 800 times.

Do I have too much in 1 outlet. Here’s my list and let me know what you think.

I have one power surge strip and one coral life timer strip plugged into one plain old household outlet .

So, the coral life timer has 2 AI 52 hd, an ATI hybrid 60” long that has 4 lamps with 2 plugs, a ground probe, 2 24 watt green machine UV.

The normals surge strip has Eheim 1262 and Syncra 3, Nyos skimmer, Ranco heater, 3 komera dosers inked together into 1 plug, hydor powerhead.

Now that I do the list it seems a lot no?

And I still have to plug in my ATO, another powerhead and MP 40

Thoughts? Breakers never tripped with all running.
It may seem like a lot, but I don't think it is a problem. A lot of these are very small loads so I doubt you are overloaded.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would something like this work?
Yes that would work for your tank, BUT I would put the money into a unit that serves the tank, the one you show is designed for an entertainment center:) APC is a trusted brand as we all know. I know it cost a few bucks more but the Isobar is THEEEEE most trusted unit on the market for a single point unit. You have me going now so I will be installing this on my new build in my cabinet. Just for the controller, no pumps!
HUBBELL HBL5260SA SURGE RCPT
36898blbig.jpg

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this would be good
Tripp Lite Isobar 4 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, 6ft. Cord, Right Angle Plug, 3330 Joules, Metal, 50K Insurance & (IBAR4-6D) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005119M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZPRgDbB6N1SZ4
Would this be enough to have 3 dc pumps a 200w hearer and a 250w metal halide?
That’s pretty much everything I have on the tank lol

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 4 port is actually the one most commonly used in the field. Grocery/retail stores will have one for every register.
edit: Put you lights on another non protected source, DC pumps ok, ac motors/pumps not so much

Last edited:

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 4 port is actually the one most commonly used in the field. Grocery/retail stores will have one for every register.
Awesome, thanks for the insider information ;)
Going to order that today so I can have a little piece of mind. Again thank so much :)

Sparky88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also an electrician and it def takes a guy in the office to think its a good idear to offer advice to ppl that shouldnt touch an outlet. This is not a game and your going to get ppl killed. Did you stress the importance of a ground probe? Grounding,grounding., grounding ppl. Well actually bonding but who nos the diff anyways. Real good advice from this electrician find a local and trade him for coral. This trade allways has a few reef junkies in it

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a game and your going to get ppl killed. Did you stress the importance of a ground probe?
Real good advice from this electrician find a local and trade him for coral. This trade allways has a few reef junkies in it
Your absolutely correct, There will always be those that shouldn't touch but do. If we can help, correct and advise them then thats better then not. If some one is clueless or the job complex, they are told to get a professional.
I have learned that this hobby has a lot of sharp cookies and home owners that easily comprehend basic wiring, after all thats why Homeowners Permits are not questioned.
@Sparky88 feel free to help if you see the need....Welcome to Local R2R

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I setup my fish room in my basement, I wanted to toss in a fart fan to help with any humidity that may be present.

I was going to buy this to control the fan itself.
Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 2.08.16 PM.png

Can I just wire up one of these to make that controller control the fan with a grounded extension cord?

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 2.09.38 PM.png

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a bath fan on a dimmer not sure the motor could handle it or the little resistor/fuse. @Brew12 is the motor man

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never seen a bath fan on a dimmer not sure the motor could handle it or the little resistor/fuse. @Brew12 is the motor man

Not a dimmer, you set the Humidity level and the fan kicks on until that level is reached.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a dimmer, you set the Humidity level and the fan kicks on until that level is reached.
thats cool! I did a greenhouse with something like that. does the fan have a sensor too? I would just choose one or the other. BTW its been years and its still working. Lots of grow shops for that stuff. check with them. good luck

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have 32 extension cords under my tank right above sump. Can I add 2-3 more ???

OK- JUST KIDDING. VERY KIND OF YOU AND OTHER ELECTRICIANS TO OFFER INSIGHT !!

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I had a bad outlet in the downstairs area where my tank is being set up. It is the first outlet in a chain of outlets in the room. I replaced the outlet with a GFCI outlet so now all outlets in the chain are GFCI protected. I tested each one with a tester and everything seems good. My question is my tank is on the second outlet in the chain. Is this way of doing things good for protection? Prior to moving I had the tank running off one of those GFCI blocks that plug in with no issues for 5 years.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I had a bad outlet in the downstairs area where my tank is being set up. It is the first outlet in a chain of outlets in the room. I replaced the outlet with a GFCI outlet so now all outlets in the chain are GFCI protected. I tested each one with a tester and everything seems good. My question is my tank is on the second outlet in the chain. Is this way of doing things good for protection? Prior to moving I had the tank running off one of those GFCI blocks that plug in with no issues for 5 years.
It's great for protecting you and your house, its not great for redundancy. I like having my equipment run off of multiple GFCI's so a trip of one won't take out everything.

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a definitive list, by equipment type, that should be plugged into GFCI vs regular outlets?

Background, I'm building a new home with a fish room and can have close to any amount or combination or GFCI and regular outlets.

What is the ideal setup to balance reliability and safety?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a definitive list, by equipment type, that should be plugged into GFCI vs regular outlets?

Background, I'm building a new home with a fish room and can have close to any amount or combination or GFCI and regular outlets.

What is the ideal setup to balance reliability and safety?
Typically, I think that anything wet should be on a GFCI.

In a perfect world, I would run 2 return pumps and 3 GFCI's. One return pump and a heater along with at least one powerhead on 2 of the GFCI's. The 3rd GCI would have any remaining powerheads. You can split any other loads, like the skimmer, as you desire.

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, I think that anything wet should be on a GFCI.

In a perfect world, I would run 2 return pumps and 3 GFCI's. One return pump and a heater along with at least one powerhead on 2 of the GFCI's. The 3rd GCI would have any remaining powerheads. You can split any other loads, like the skimmer, as you desire.

Thanks Brew. What would you have lights plugged into? I would've thought those would be safer in a GFCI outlet.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brew. What would you have lights plugged into? I would've thought those would be safer in a GFCI outlet.
Anything you plug into a GFCI will be safer but I would consider this a lower priority. Mine are plugged into a GFCI out of convenience and it is an easy visual to know if a GFCI has tripped.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back