Your take on SB reeflights

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering if you have ever tried them yourself. I am going to use two of them on a 33 long with two T-5s to prevent any possible shading. Just wondered if you have ever tried them and what you thought.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a SB Reeflights "Ultra" 45" on my 90. Way more power than I need or will ever use. Endless programming possibilities using your phone. No fans - completely quiet. Built like a tank.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a SB Reeflights "Ultra" 45" on my 90. Way more power than I need or will ever use. Endless programming possibilities using your phone. No fans - completely quiet. Built like a tank.

With no fans have you noticed a lot of heat coming from them? How long have you run the fixture?

OP
OP
Scottsquatch

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have fans. They are supposed to be better fans than the other black boxes. I'm told they are very quiet by other users. I want to know what Dana thinks of the spectrum they use on the SB's. People say they work well, but nobody gets to the meat of the mstter. How does the SB blend stack up to the others?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SBs spectrum will give you good growth and color. Personally I am a fan of bluer lighting so eventually I would like to add two T5s onto mine in order to get that coloration I like. I have noticed some of my corals coloring up a bit more after going under this light than what they we’re previously under. It also is capable of putting out very high PAR numbers when you start cranking the percentages up.

OP
OP
Scottsquatch

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I have a blue plus and (I think) an aquablue special that I will be using in conjunction with my SB's as I have heard from many LED users that the addition of T-5's really helps prevent shadowing. I read the science behind the spectrum Mike selected for his lights and it really seems legit and solid. The lights themselves are really well built and I was very impressed with them when I unboxed them. I just need to get this tank wet so I can actually USE them. I've been sitting on them for a year already!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no fans have you noticed a lot of heat coming from them? How long have you run the fixture?
The light fixture is made out of heavy aluminum with lots of slots to disapate the heat vertically. So I’ve never noticed any heat under the fixture. I’ve had it for about six months. Right after they came out with the “Ultra” model. Took a chance on it and have not been disappointed

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll like them. You probably won’t need the t5. Depending on the intensity you set , you can overpower them pretty easily.

I own 4 btw. One on the cube 3 on the 55.

To avoid the shadowing so many are concerned with, try to work out the height you want to mount them.
Sooo many folks set lights really low on the tank.

Try this with your SB.

If you set the beam inside the square , you’ll have more spotlighting and shading , outside the square you’ll have less shading (but an angry wife with sunglasses ).
At 12 w the stock lenses in , a 16” cover about a 20x 12-14”. With the hot spot in the middle. The hot spot is actually nice as it punches the bottom of the tank well , but might not work well depending on your aqua scape.
To increase this and mount lower many are pulling the stock lenses. Ive got a majority of the lenses pulled on my 30, and I use diffusions on my 55, as they are only about 9in above the water.

Not sure what specific questions you have on spectrum, but the Light def grows corals and hits all the major points.

9DBB14F2-ADF8-421A-AA9A-4A1907CA4561.jpeg

219B3294-D31A-4435-AAA6-3004B4017A28.jpeg

91329DD3-8568-4977-A8DF-98170828C008.jpeg

It’s all pretty dead on , and the graph is a good representation of how the light looks. Note the extra bump in violet , it makes the blue only a royal blue.

I highly suggest a meter to set them, and consider the par range you want to work in.
A $15 lux meter actually work well , and when ya finally get that thing wet , I can help ya out with the lux Par conversions depending on the ratios you settle on

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the SBreef basic 16" and while I was happy with the growth and general look of my tank, most of my corals lost their amazing color when compared to when I purchased them. I had the 16" on a Biocube 32 and ran it at probably 30% or so. Plenty of light, but something about it just lost a lot of the vibrant colors. My LFS uses Kessils and the corals looked more vibrant under their lights.

Overall, i'd definitely recommend them, but i'd also note that you should have realistic expectations of what you're getting and if you do, you should be happy with them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the SBreef basic 16" and while I was happy with the growth and general look of my tank, most of my corals lost their amazing color when compared to when I purchased them. I had the 16" on a Biocube 32 and ran it at probably 30% or so. Plenty of light, but something about it just lost a lot of the vibrant colors. My LFS uses Kessils and the corals looked more vibrant under their lights.

Overall, i'd definitely recommend them, but i'd also note that you should have realistic expectations of what you're getting and if you do, you should be happy with them.
A fwiw , a stock SB 16 in measured at 12in from the light with the intensity at 1% W/B will give you about 250 par. At 100% it’s about 650 par. It’s quite a powerful light.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fwiw , a stock SB 16 in measured at 12in from the light with the intensity at 1% W/B will give you about 250 par. At 100% it’s about 650 par. It’s quite a powerful light.

I wasn't able to dim my SB to 1%, did you have to modify it to do that? If I remember correctly, I could only get to 10 or 12% before it clicked off. I was plenty happy with the power and growth of the light, just slightly disappointed with the coloration. [I was running Triton, so that could possibly have contributed as well]

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't able to dim my SB to 1%, did you have to modify it to do that? If I remember correctly, I could only get to 10 or 12% before it clicked off. I was plenty happy with the power and growth of the light, just slightly disappointed with the coloration. [I was running Triton, so that could possibly have contributed as well]
Interesting. On my Basics 1% was no problem. Hmm. Maby better drivers now?

I’ve had odd coloration with too much light for sure. But there’s sooo many factors.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!!!!!

assume 100%..
A simple meter is a neat thing.
I stumbled across it when I was looking at diy controllers and I was reminded of how leds dim. Depending on the method , it’s not a smooth dim at all.
SB and Mike there are pretty open about it on the FB pages and here.
Not sure about other lights. But I’ll be testing.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. On my Basics 1% was no problem. Hmm. Maby better drivers now?

I’ve had odd coloration with too much light for sure. But there’s sooo many factors.
When you dim them via the knob they go all the way down but when hooked to a controller, they typically stop dimming around 10%.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you dim them via the knob they go all the way down but when hooked to a controller, they typically stop dimming around 10%.
Gotcha. I have the older Ramp timer too with no probs.
Sometimes I whish I knew more about electronics but ..... squirrel!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back