Your take on SB reeflights

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What KIND of meter do you recommend? I was gonna get a par meter, but I have been hearing that they don' work accuratel on LEDs.
The seney is good. Well tested. There’s a BRS video on it.
The other option is a $15 lux meter.
Depends on how hard core you are about it.
And your wallet. Lol.

Lux conversion if you don’t know , is a comparative Light reading basically. 100 par from most Led is 6000 lux approx.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

William Swartout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 sBox Pro 32" Timer units hanging over my 125 gal (72" long). I have them set at 25% white channel and 50% blue channel and there is more than enough light to grow anything I have put in there. I can hear the fans but they are not bothersome.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a pair of the 16" wifi extremes and they are quiet, produce nice colors and growth.
I have no complaints with them and super easy to tweak and program from the phone

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SBReefLights , meh. The fixture looks like crap, big bulky, fat, and cheap looking. It looks like a polished turd. also it's a 50% markup compared to cheaper chinese black box fixtures. a more expensive shiny turd.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SBReefLights , meh. The fixture looks like crap, big bulky, fat, and cheap looking. It looks like a polished turd. also it's a 50% markup compared to cheaper chinese black box fixtures. a more expensive shiny turd.

If you took the time to research, you would find that the SB light is an improved version of a typical black box (ie Mars aqua). Much better spectrum both visually and for photosynthesis. Much better heat sink. Much better drivers. Sure, the exterior is ugly, but if you run a canopy it doesn't really matter.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you took the time to research, you would find that the SB light is an improved version of a typical black box (ie Mars aqua). Much better spectrum both visually and for photosynthesis. Much better heat sink. Much better drivers. Sure, the exterior is ugly, but if you run a canopy it doesn't really matter.

I have these and the pic shows the results. Have better colors and growth VS. Radion Gen 2's that I had.

360tt.png

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you're right about Canopy being a must have for this ugly thing. Unfortunately I don't have a canopy and I have to look at the ugly thing all day. The heat sink is not really a heat sink though, unless you count the "license plate" as a heat sink? Are they meanwell drivers?

And I'm not crazy about the single Red, single Green, and single Orange LED... Do you think I could get away with substituting those LEDs for a blue LED without any adverse effect on the corals? If so, which blue led would you recommend? Royal Blue Blue, which nanometer? Thanks in advance!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
420n actinic

Yea you're right about Canopy being a must have for this ugly thing. Unfortunately I don't have a canopy and I have to look at the ugly thing all day. The heat sink is not really a heat sink though, unless you count the "license plate" as a heat sink? Are they meanwell drivers?

And I'm not crazy about the single Red, single Green, and single Orange LED... Do you think I could get away with substituting those LEDs for a blue LED without any adverse effect on the corals? If so, which blue led would you recommend? Royal Blue Blue, which nanometer? Thanks in advance!
Mic or

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back