Your thoughts on raffles?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what others think about what appears to be the new trend - Raffles. If prices weren't bad enough, now sellers are getting 2 to 3 times more for their items than if they tried to sell them for a set price. The seller argues that they are getting more people wanting spots than they are selling and the buyers say they can possibly get an expensive piece for cheap.

Personally I'm not going to participate in them. Partially because I don't like them and partially because I know how unlucky I am and I know I will never win. That said, it isn't going to keep me from doing business with a seller because they do raffles unless that is the only way they do business.

I believe we actually had one local FB group ban raffles because they were getting out of hand.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you talking about live goods where someone sells a mushroom and sells 20 slots for $20 each type of thing?

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about live goods where someone sells a mushroom and sells 20 slots for $20 each type of thing?

Live goods or equipment (used or new). I've seen some people raffling used reef equipment on our local FB groups for more than they could sell it for if they just set a price. This mainly only works on the more expensive items like the higher end leds or controllers.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people play lotto, and raffles are a fun way for lucky folks to have a chance at a high dollar specimen for the cost of a raffle ticket. My wife could handle my "purchase" of a Willy Nelson Rainbow Luxury do-dah micro frag for "$2.00", and a raffle might make that happen without her finding out what the community paid for me to win. If I don't win she'll never notice the $2.00 entry fee because it wasn't $2k!

I have never won a raffle for frags or anything else, so I probably will not be playing but I don't mind that vendors or hobbyist are doing this. With the cost of frags, it is just another way for vendors to entice us to spend money in the slumping Indo-ban environment.

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people play lotto, and raffles are a fun way for lucky folks to have a chance at a high dollar specimen for the cost of a raffle ticket. My wife could handle my "purchase" of a Willy Nelson Rainbow Luxury do-dah micro frag for "$2.00", and a raffle might make that happen without her finding out what the community paid for me to win. If I don't win she'll never notice the $2.00 entry fee because it wasn't $2k!

I have never won a raffle for frags or anything else, so I probably will not be playing but I don't mind that vendors or hobbyist are doing this. With the cost of frags, it is just another way for vendors to entice us to spend money in the slumping Indo-ban environment.

But could this be artificially inflating the prices even worse? It isn't just vendors doing it. I'm seeing a lot of hobbyist also doing it, at least locally.

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that raffles are probably illegal in most states unless for charity or approved fundraising

That could be true. I know there has been a debate in the past about the local reef club doing raffles at the frag swaps. I think it finally came down to the fact the club was a non-profit org.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But could this be artificially inflating the prices even worse? It isn't just vendors doing it. I'm seeing a lot of hobbyist also doing it, at least locally.

Yup, it is generally a win for the seller, same as the government-run lottos, "Indian Gaming", and Church Bingo. I never go to church bingo because losing money or not getting a good deal gets me angry and that makes me swear a lot. The Lord is against swearing. :)

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets just call it for what it is.
Gamble.

I never win anything, so im not interested.
I know that if i play, eventually i could get lucky and win something, but when you think about it. If it took you 10 games at $20 each to win a price for example. Then in the end you really payed full price of $200 for said price.
In that case, i can just directly buy the piece of my choice for the full $200 straight out of my pocket.
So, nah.... not worth my time, money and like someone above said, me getting angry cause i don't win. Lol

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen quite a few raffles popping up but the one person I got in a raffle from was selling the product to cover the costs. I did win one on the second try. It was for two XR15s.

U

User1

View Badges
I don't know if it is a new trendy thing to do or what the outcome may be. I do not use FB for many reasons so that is not the issue. The way I see it if these are a fad then the hobbyist has to choose if they want to participate or not. You like it, you roll and play. If you don't, then you stay out. Above all I don't judge and mind my own business.

Hope everyone is having a great Monday.

bossman47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are some people who take advantage of this more than others. I have seen some where they are basically covering cost and making an extra $100. I am fine with this, don’t participate but fine. Then there are certain people I have seen raffling off a frag pack that would probably retail for $2000 and based on how the “tickets” are purchased would end up with $4-5k in sales. These people disgust me and are leaches on this hobby. Not that any of this is technically legal based on my understanding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im not keen on it (just personal feeling). Many try to get a deal and inflating a price is total opposite which will be met with complaint, dissatisfaction and remorse.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of these on IG also. I played a few until I realized some people win their own raffle. They make bogus accounts and sing them up for the raffle also. I actually heard the child of the raffle host say after the ball dropped (daddy did we win it again). Last time for that!

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that raffles are probably illegal in most states unless for charity or approved fundraising

True, technically some I’ve seen sell a digital image. The raffle is a bonus. Glaring loophole that I doubt is all that sound.

Personally I dislike them. Sure can get a coral cheap. But more likely you pay and get nothing, at least with bidding you lose and you aren’t out anything. And yea sellers are definitely on the winning side. By a mile.

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I play in raffles, reef and others, if there cheap enough. I've won a nice torch coral for only a $10 spot and a few times I've won money. I like them, but I like to gamble so.... :cool:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 69 74.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back