You're awesome GHL. Your $15 shipping is not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spent thousands with you GHL and I'm happy with what I have. I'm also completely fine with having to replace parts that wear down over time. However, a small part of me dies when I need a $16 dollar small (tiny) plastic piece that will fit into a small envelope and I get prompted for $15 in shipping.

Why?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spent thousands with you GHL and I'm happy with what I have. I'm also completely fine with having to replace parts that wear down over time. However, a small part of me dies when I need a $16 dollar small (tiny) plastic piece that will fit into a small envelope and I get prompted for $15 in shipping.

Why?

I always try to find it somewhere else first (premium aquatics, aquacave) before ordering from GHL direct. Or just wait till I order something big. I agree with you though! I want to order the special 3 bottle kh reagent and replacement tube, but don't want to pay shipping so I'm just gonna wait or skip it.

OP
OP
Dawsokj1988

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try to find it somewhere else first (premium aquatics, aquacave) before ordering from GHL direct. Or just wait till I order something big. I agree with you though! I want to order the special 3 bottle kh reagent and replacement tube, but don't want to pay shipping so I'm just gonna wait or skip it.
Know of a site that sells doser 2.1 spare parts? The rollers specifically.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also surprised the need to pay shipping for my 2000€ order from their EU website.
Free shipping would have been nice o_O

Same with the profilux 4 Ultimate set, that comes without PAB cable for the Touch.
Would have been nice to have full ready plug&play pack out of the box that you don't get stuck due a poor missing PAB cable during installation.

OP
OP
Dawsokj1988

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also surprised the need to pay shipping for my 2000€ order from their EU website.

Same with the profilux 4 Ultimate set, that comes without PAB cable for the Touch.
Would have been nice to have full ready plug&play pack out of the box that you don't get stuck due a poor missing PAB cable during installation.
Yeah, I really don't mind paying shipping on large orders. It's the $15 dollar order that makes me sad.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is that just an error or do all the sets come lacking this key piece? seems insane to not include a cable that's required for use...

It does seem like it's supposed to come with a PAB for the touch....

Screenshot_20180609-155108.jpg

Last edited:

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the screen.
Then it must be an error because mine came only with one PAB cable in the box. I was myself badly surprised for this missing cable.
I check on the box and I saw on the side of it a picture only with 1 PAB cable:
DSC_0176.JPG

Then when I checked on their website for the Touch manual and it says...

1.2 Included in delivery
Before you start you should check if the delivery is complete. The following articles belong to the delivery (PAB-cables are not included in delivery and have to be ordered separately):
 ProfiLux Touch Display
 ProfiLux Touch Interface
 power supply
 connection cable display to interface
 wall mounting set

Maybe someone with ultimate set could confirm if two cables were delivered

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ultimate set bought last year had 2. One for the powerbar and one for the touch. I think the one for the touch was in the touch box if I remeber correctly?

As for the extra dosers and powerbars I knew I needed to order pabs for them ahead of time from reading their website. Seems like it would be a good add on option when placing an order, where a check box pops up asking if you want one and what size.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this back to the top again. Original question was never answered regarding $15 shipping fee. Just went to the website store yesterday to buy a bottle of conductivity probe calibration fluid ($8). Went to check out and wound up cancelling order because of this. There has to be a better, cheaper way to ship smaller items. I wound up going to BRS and bought some Pinpoint calibration fluid instead. Shipping was $3.

Tariq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strategy of some of the companies to overcharge for the spare parts has long bothered me.

Rather than taking into account the brand loyalty, they assume they have grabbed the customers by their *tea-bags* who have no choice but pay the asking price, including the ridiculously high shipping in your case.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure who here is overcharging for spare parts.
Free shipping is a myth. Someone's paying for it, because the logistic companies(UPS/FedEx/USPS/DHL/etc) sure aren't giving it away for free.

We don't normally ship with USPS, as we've had too many losses and damages, or packages that randomly show up at any given time in the future... but not when within delivery window. Sure, we could ship the small part in a priority envelope and hope it gets there for $7.50 - but then at best scenario it will arrive with the packaging smashed which would upset you. Worst case scenario, the part itself is damaged and we RMA, file a claim or just take it as a loss (claim would deny anyway). If we don't ship it priority you would be upset that it takes a week or longer.

So UPS it is, and we don't ship the volumes of Amazon, or BRS, our rates aren't low enough, and we cannot take a $12 loss on shipping, for a $8 bottle of calibration fluid. I know it stings for you, it stings for us too.
In the case of a bottle of calibration fluid, depending on where it's shipping to, our cost for shipping would be between $9-15, plus cost of box and materials, someone to package it, and if you happen to be the only package going out that day; UPS's pickup fee of $7.50. If you order a bunch of small items, the box size increases, and we do not ask you to pay more when the shipping is now $27...

I wish we had the quantity of packages that would allow us to offer free, or severely reduced priority (next day/2nd day) free shipping for all order, but it just isn't realistic at the rates that we're being charged. Every year we re-evaluate our rates, work with our logistic partners to make sure we are receiving the best rates, service and value for the rates we pay. This year; rates have increased once again, as rising fuel costs are passed on to the shippers.

Acamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this back to the top again. Original question was never answered regarding $15 shipping fee. Just went to the website store yesterday to buy a bottle of conductivity probe calibration fluid ($8). Went to check out and wound up cancelling order because of this. There has to be a better, cheaper way to ship smaller items. I wound up going to BRS and bought some Pinpoint calibration fluid instead. Shipping was $3.

You are lucky ... in EU they ship at 25 Euro!!! I already complained with German HQ but ... no way!

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco,
Thank you for the explanation. I certainly hear your side and now understand why. Still doesn't make sense to me to pay double the price of the item I'm buying on shipping. If I was spending in the range of $50 or more it would be easier to swallow. I will have to wait and put more things together for an order next time.
Goes without saying the products GHL are selling are top notch!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco,
Thank you for the explanation. I certainly hear your side and now understand why. Still doesn't make sense to me to pay double the price of the item I'm buying on shipping. If I was spending in the range of $50 or more it would be easier to swallow. I will have to wait and put more things together for an order next time.
Goes without saying the products GHL are selling are top notch!
I run into the same issue with GHL products. Love them, but it makes it hard to feel good about placing smaller orders. Fortunately, they are working with both Bulk Reef Supply and Marine Depot to distribute their products. It's still a small selection of products available with them, but it is making progress. Makes getting wear parts for the Doser 2.1 less painful!

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run into the same issue with GHL products. Love them, but it makes it hard to feel good about placing smaller orders. Fortunately, they are working with both Bulk Reef Supply and Marine Depot to distribute their products. It's still a small selection of products available with them, but it is making progress. Makes getting wear parts for the Doser 2.1 less painful!

You can special order GHL products from @MarineDepot not sure about @BRS.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So UPS it is, and we don't ship the volumes of Amazon, or BRS, our rates aren't low enough, and we cannot take a $12 loss on shipping, for a $8 bottle of calibration fluid. I know it stings for you, it stings for us too.

THIS ^^^^
It ain't rocket science. YOU try to ship a probe via ups and see how much it costs, including the packing supplies and time needed to process/pack.

Shipping prices have really escalated the past several years.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back