YWG behavior

Ratsinmyhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a yellow watchman golby around two weeks ago. He came supposedly paired with a tiger pistol shrimp. They were in an acclimation box together. When introduced to the display the shrimp went deep into the aquascape and I assume is making his home somewhere out of site. The golby swam around the tank for two days and ended up finding a home in a natural tunnel under the rocks. But he only stayed there for maybe 3 days. Now all he does is swim right at the surface of the water around the overflows. I have even caught him resting against the weirs of the overflow multiple times. The first time I saw this I honestly thought he was dead. When I went to grab him he bolted away. He will rest on the sand rarely but seems to like resting against the weir of the overflow more?? I promise I will get a picture next time I catch him doing this. The golby is only about 1.5-2 inches long. Just wondering if this is normal behavior? I assume when/if the pistol shrimp shows up along the outside of the rock work the golby will rejoin him? Is he just missing his partner and lost or is hanging around the surface normal for a YWG??

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly they paired up, but I am aware of cases where they didn't, and also cases where the relationship went sour. I dont know for sure if the goby is alright, it does not sound right. lets see what others say #reefsquad

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple, this is normal "acclimating" behavior for them. He may or may not join his shrimp pal again (I've had the same pairing end up making homes on opposite sides of the tank) but he should settle back down to the substrate once he's out of freak-out mode. Is your tank covered? They CAN jump when they are stressed. Also, watch your overflow... my first one disappeared for a few months... looked everywhere, sump, overflow, etc. Couldn't find him. Figured him for dead, and then randomly showed up in my sump later. Skinny and pale, but very much alive.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Definitely a possibility if he's been in there a while and still not settling.

OP
OP
Ratsinmyhead

Ratsinmyhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was the second fish added. First was a firefish. Then a lyertail anthias. The golby is by far the smallest, but the other two seem to not even notice him. I did notice when the goby was first settled into a tunnel, two separate times when I fed a nassarius snail seemed to be interested in him. It would move between the two tunnel entrances and the goby would be pushed from one side to the other. Could this have caused him to abandon that spot? I will get a pic of him resting against the weirs tonight if I catch it.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt the snail is bothering him, more likely looking for leftovers. If I had to pick a culprit, it would be the lyretail but they are usually only aggressive to their own kind. How long has the YWG been there? He might just need a bit more time...

OP
OP
Ratsinmyhead

Ratsinmyhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7A84F554-202B-4A8A-961E-3369F8850142.jpeg
52291009-0476-4E6B-8296-45C8C94DA644.jpeg
He has been in the tank almost 3 weeks now. And I finally caught him while I had my phone on me for pictures. He will sit like this for 2-3 minutes then just swim away. He doesn’t seem to care about me reaching for him until I actually touch him. Then he takes off but still sticks around the surface. Has yet to be sucked down although I’m sure he could fit. Tried adding video but some error came up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back