Zibba's Reefs -- ADA 90P & Envision 100g

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't rule out kalk bro. One of the ROTM's on RC was completely done on kalk only. It was an amazing, 3-tier setup. I'm trying just kalk only for a little bit.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish QT Update: Well both fish were pretty active yesterday and ate a little more mysis in QT. I'd say the RG has a much better chance now. After taking a closer look, it seems that its right pectoral fin was badly damaged during transport. I'm going to have to watch that for infection but I'm hopeful that it will regrow and he'll be near 100% soon. Certainly not my best work because the lighting over the QT is really bad (just enough so I can observe) but I snapped a few pictures:

DSC_8071_zps77c14a31.jpg

DSC_8079_zps1307e255.jpg

DSC_8080_zps01b68382.jpg
good deal. 1smile1

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used kalk and kalk+vinegar in the past to keep up with demand and it worked great! :) There are a lot of benefits to kalk and, with enough redundancy, I think it's still a viable option on this system. Ok, fine...I won't rule kalk out! ;)

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried out feeding a food that I haven't used before -- Nutramar Ova -- and the two fish in QT went bonkers for it. I've really kept it simple with foods and mostly stuck with PE Mysis, but after seeing the plethora of food that Marvin's feeding his tank, Im inspired to branch out. If anyone has other "must" try foods, let me know. :)

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big believer in kalk too. I'll never run another tank without it. Hope the RG comes though for ya man.

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried out feeding a food that I haven't used before -- Nutramar Ova -- and the two fish in QT went bonkers for it. I've really kept it simple with foods and mostly stuck with PE Mysis, but after seeing the plethora of food that Marvin's feeding his tank, Im inspired to branch out. If anyone has other "must" try foods, let me know. :)

Very interesting. I feed small pellets too. I think they are Oceans Nutrition. And dare I say... FLAKES TOO. D'oh! Oh, and Rod's Food. :D I usually make my own stuff but I've been lazy lately.

I might try that Nutramar Ova. Sounds killer!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big believer in kalk too. I'll never run another tank without it. Hope the RG comes though for ya man.

Good to know. I've noticed that my pH is running a little low 7.9-8.05 so kalk may really help out. I'll need to look into whether the Tunze Osmolator pump can handle kalkwasser. Would probably be best to find kalk reactor -- Avast's kalk reactor looks like a good option. Barring any catastrophes or jumping, I'd say both fish are going to make it just fine. I'll probably give it another 7-10 days before making a decision on whether they go in the tank or need to be treated.

Very interesting. I feed small pellets too. I think they are Oceans Nutrition. And dare I say... FLAKES TOO. D'oh! Oh, and Rod's Food. :D I usually make my own stuff but I've been lazy lately.

I might try that Nutramar Ova. Sounds killer!

I travel occasionally (actually heading to LA tonight for work) so I need to figure out a dry food/autofeeder option eventually. I picked up some Instant Ocean pellets last night, so we'll see if they like those too. I wouldn't mind feeding flakes every once in awhile either. I think variety is key and feeding some of the less nutritious foods isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've always thought that brine shrimp was like white bread -- the fish usually love it though.

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get one of those feeders and maybe switch it up with pellets and flakes then. I feed my tank 2-3 times a day, not including the small strip of nori I put in there. As long as your skimmer keeps up, you're fine. :) I never understood the concept of feeding next to nothing to our little fishies. They get hungry too! LOL!

I miss LA. Good times, good times! :) (I was born in raised in San Diego).

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't agree more. I like my fish to be healthy and fat! :)

San Diego is one of my favorite cities and I would love to transition out to SoCal someday. I usually make a few personal trips out to SD when it's scorching hot here in the desert. I haven't spent much time in LA though. I was out in Pasadena for the Breeder's Cup in early November and saw a little bit of LA's night life on that trip. This is a quick in-and-out trip unfortunately. I'm actually heading back out there next Friday as well, but again, it's a quick trip. I want/need to make a trip out there specifically to check out the reef shops!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All is good still after a few days away. The fish in QT are becoming much more aggressive eaters and are looking much healthier. The corals in the display have great polyp extension too. Still getting microbubbles from the ATB, so pictures aren't turning out that great. I'll try turning off the skimmer and other pumps for awhile tonight to see if I can get some pictures worth posting. Ordered up the light for the ADA 90P -- going with the 27" MaxSpect Razor R420r 16,000k fixture. I've seen them in person at a few LFS and personally think they look great. I think it will be a good fit over the ADA. It should be here soon (tomorrow? keeping my fingers crossed!) and I'll give a full report.

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I expect a full review as I'm planning on putting one over my refugium. I saw one at one of our LFS' the other day. They are toight! (Yes, I spelled that like I say it). :D

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I expect a full review as I'm planning on putting one over my refugium. I saw one at one of our LFS' the other day. They are toight! (Yes, I spelled that like I say it). :D

Lol, you got it!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some pictures tonight in-between the water change while the pumps were off. I got all of these corals from Phoenix's local reef club (FRAG) members at the most recent holiday party on 12/15, except for the chalice. None of the corals are in their final position as I'm letting them acclimate and most are really low in the tank (hence not the best color):

DSC_8086_zpsbb40b539.jpg

DSC_8106_zpsaa3d394a.jpg

"Grape Juice" Acro
DSC_8089_zpsecee6582.jpg

DSC_8102_zps252fa2de.jpg

"Joe the Coral"
DSC_8100_zpsb047cac4.jpg

Some random tenius:
DSC_8095_zpsaedf1c6a.jpg

"Red Planet"
DSC_8099_zpse6f6edd2.jpg

DSC_8094_zps6008899c.jpg

Neon Nepthia (this will go in the ADA once I get the light over it)
DSC_8097_zpsb3f802c9.jpg

Looks really sweet under actinics--
DSC_8109_zpsac61aae8.jpg

DSC_8111_zpsd160145d.jpg

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated in awhile because I was traveling a bit, slammed with work and tied up with the holidays. But there's a lot that has been happening behind the scene and I'll try to this thread caught up. Might take a few days because I want to include pictures and simply haven't had a chance to take pictures of everything yet! :)

As I previously mentioned, I decided to go with the MaxSpect Razor over the ADA. Here are some pictures of the unboxing:

DSC_8116_zps84a2683a.jpg

DSC_8117_zpsd7e251ea.jpg

DSC_8121_zps0eeb8206.jpg

DSC_8123_zps08e99544.jpg

DSC_8125_zps159a5798.jpg

I'm planning to hang the light tomorrow, but I couldn't resist just getting it up over the tank on the legs that come with the light. I must say that it looks really sharp! And, I'm happy with the color that it's putting out (approx. 50% W; 75% B) -- hopefully the corals will be happy too!

I also decided to give another brand of salt a try: Red Sea's Coral Pro

DSC_8128_zps736aa1c4.jpg

I've always used Instant Ocean in the past and added 2-part to get it to the proper levels without issue. But with the last two batches of salt, I've had issues with cloudy water and/or precipitation in the QT tank and salt mixing bin, so I decided to give this one a try. I've read good reviews and looks like the chemical profile is "better" than IO. Certainly there are a ton of successful reefs operating with both IO and RSCP, just going a different direction.

Anyway, stay tuned -- lots more to update with -- particularly, corals!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Lilmatty! I'll do that, thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very informative, thanks! I started mixing the salt yesterday before rolling the bucket and about half way through mixing, I rolled the bucket. I woke up to a cloudy mixing reservoir today, so I guess I'll be holding off on doing the water change for a few days. Not a huge deal, but really happy that you posted the info above Lilmatty. I tested the parameters this morning (Alk = 7.2 dkh, Cal = 420, Mg = 1400) so I just bumped up the Alk a bit using 2-part. Aiming to keep it around 9 or so. I'll continue testing and adjust the dosing (if any is necessary) accordingly.

In other news, I moved the fish from QT into the main display about 4-days ago and both the Royal Gramma and Dottyback seem to be doing alright. They're hiding a lot in between the rockwork for the most part, although, they've come out to eat and seem to be healthy. The RG's fin damage is going to take awhile to fully recover but I'm still very hopeful that he'll be near 100% soon enough.

I added a bunch of new corals yesterday! Hoping to get some decent picture of all of them to share. Here are a few actinic shots from this morning:

ORA Hawkins
It's not looking the greatest right now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it pulls through without having to chop it up. It was a fresh cut from a LFS's colony and is, itself, a mini colony. It's gorgeous!!
DSC_8131_zpse329beef.jpg

Oregon Tort
Also a fresh cut from the same LFS. Just a baby frag for now but will be fun to watch grow out.
DSC_8132_zps7f74fbe5.jpg

Green Birdnest
This one is just too cool under actinics -- even though it's really common, I had to have one:
DSC_8134_zps925bea4b.jpg

I also picked up the following:
-- Wild Aussie Tabling Acro (this is a mini-colony with a bright green rim where it's encrusing and looks like it's going to have some red/deep pink in it too. Should be fun to watch color up)
-- A stag with a deep green base and Teal tips
-- A strawberry-shortcake/limeaid looking table (another fresh cut from the LFS mentioned above)
-- Two Bright red mushrooms for the ADA (although one went missing last night -- so I'm kinda bummed)

I moved the duncans, the neon nepthia and the pink/blue chalice over to the ADA (the new red mushrooms went in the ADA, too). I haven't been able to get a good FTS of the ADA with the new light over it yet -- I'll keep trying though! This is the only picture that turned out alright under the LED lighting (sorry for posting so many pictures of this same coral):

DSC_8140_zpsabc6490b.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back