Zoa acclimation? Drip or float?

Skarletskunk30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting my first zoa frags tomorrow. They are the purple monster zoas and whammin watermelon zoas. I am getting them as a trade and have seen the pictures and they are perfect specimens. I heard you should just float them and put them in. Im used to drip acclimating for fish and inverts but idk about zoas. Also I could float an pour a little water in at a time to get it acclimated over an hour better. Any ideas?

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting my first zoa frags tomorrow. They are the purple monster zoas and whammin watermelon zoas. I am getting them as a trade and have seen the pictures and they are perfect specimens. I heard you should just float them and put them in. Im used to drip acclimating for fish and inverts but idk about zoas. Also I could float an pour a little water in at a time to get it acclimated over an hour better. Any ideas?
I do both on high end zoas. Low end I just toss in after a float.

OP
OP
Skarletskunk30

Skarletskunk30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45-1 hr, you should get some airline tubing for a slow drip or tie a knot in your syphon
Ok I have a little kit I made up for siphoning. So I'll drip aclimate dir about an hour, then float for temp and then put them in! Thanks!

OP
OP
Skarletskunk30

Skarletskunk30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! Zoas are hardy so don’t get too worried about it I had some out of water for 5 hours and lived
Nice. I'm kinda new to corals. I only have a pulsing xenia. I'm just gonna trim that back when it gets too much. I've watched many videos on how to pluck new stalks out but I'm excited for somthing new!

Mjrjj23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to overthink zoas. Very durable coral. I'd float for 15 min for temp.. open up pack add some water and remove some.. Do that a few times over an hour and call it a day.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back