Zoa dominated 125g

Jonathan Presseau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking amazing as always, great work! Cannot wait to see how you do with LEDs.

Any chance you could provide a quick update on where you are keeping your levels these days? Namely Alk, NO3 and PO4? I imagine you do not test often, but would love to have an idea.

Glad to hear your family is ok in PR.

Thanks!

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing!

How do you keep every frag plug so clean ;Jawdrop
Once you tank is mature no algae grows but since this tank is fairly new it's a pain. I pay my kids to help me clean algae. One removes the bigger pieces the other with a toothbrush and i use a towel. After i dip in peroxide to kill the remaining. I use 5 caps of peroxide per gallon fir 15 minutes. If it's bubbling a lot do like 10

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking amazing as always, great work! Cannot wait to see how you do with LEDs.

Any chance you could provide a quick update on where you are keeping your levels these days? Namely Alk, NO3 and PO4? I imagine you do not test often, but would love to have an idea.

Glad to hear your family is ok in PR.

Thanks!
This system is fairly new so all I've been doing is water changes every 2 weeks. Once the system is complete I'll start testing and start dosing. I'll post then.

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks are in and full of water. Tomorrow lights and then dosing. Last will be the controller. I was going to put 2 more sumps but 1 didn't fit so i guess I'll stick with 2.
PHOTO_20171014_193613.jpg
PHOTO_20171014_193624.jpg
PHOTO_20171014_193640.jpg
PHOTO_20171014_193652.jpg

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you tank is mature no algae grows but since this tank is fairly new it's a pain. I pay my kids to help me clean algae. One removes the bigger pieces the other with a toothbrush and i use a towel. After i dip in peroxide to kill the remaining. I use 5 caps of peroxide per gallon fir 15 minutes. If it's bubbling a lot do like 10
Thanks mate, i used the peroxide a week ago for the first time, Amazing result! But i have used it "pure" and 2 mins dip, was bubbling like crazy. Your way is better i think, prob less stress for the zoa.
Please keep posting progress of your new setup, i'm really curious what you will make of it, good luck !

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread is amazing for sure

on the peroxide part, we enjoy the feedback due to the diversity in this system. searches will show on peroxide threads going back to 2011 we named zoanthids as the single most tolerant organism we keep to peroxide

that doesn't mean there aren't stat outliers for any claim in reefing...but on the typical zoanthid post you can't kill them with perox no matter what you do. I used to bathe invading brown ugly zoanthids in direct 35 peroxide during a tank drain, for ten mins straight with readditions that stressed the hound out of the rest of my tank, and the zo's simply opened back up within 3 hours and continued choking sps.

I found over time, the ones posted as losses online were the opposite of healthy...stringy hydrodynamic profile, nonconnected at the base, solitary on their way outs was what I saw. Ive never seen a squat fat zoanthid colony do anything but be bulletproof to anything we threw at it oxidizer wise. across literally thousands of documented test tanks, zoanthids remain our most peroxide tolerant group of organisms we farm other than actual bacteria which is totally ironic when it comes to peroxide blasting.

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here it goes again
this thread is amazing for sure

on the peroxide part, we enjoy the feedback due to the diversity in this system. searches will show on peroxide threads going back to 2011 we named zoanthids as the single most tolerant organism we keep to peroxide

that doesn't mean there aren't stat outliers for any claim in reefing...but on the typical zoanthid post you can't kill them with perox no matter what you do. I used to bathe invading brown ugly zoanthids in direct 35 peroxide during a tank drain, for ten mins straight with readditions that stressed the hound out of the rest of my tank, and the zo's simply opened back up within 3 hours and continued choking sps.

I found over time, the ones posted as losses online were the opposite of healthy...stringy hydrodynamic profile, nonconnected at the base, solitary on their way outs was what I saw. Ive never seen a squat fat zoanthid colony do anything but be bulletproof to anything we threw at it oxidizer wise. across literally thousands of documented test tanks, zoanthids remain our most peroxide tolerant group of organisms we farm other than actual bacteria which is totally ironic when it comes to peroxide blasting.
great info thanks for sharing. And yes i only dip zoas in peroxide. Everything else dies or looses color for a long time like montis and leptos

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed

on our threads we're constantly trying to stop nontarget application...target work outside of tank is best for those types of corals for sure. if they come with certain pests we like to just use the dips intended for those pests where possible

its a decent proph dip for zo's though, since they like to bring in various anchored algae in relation to their substrate inclusions and many times right on the flesh anchored right in the base

though people usually choose to dose one mil per ten gallons of peroxide into the tank to see what type of algae might go away (still contacting a bunch of nontargets) they do it because sometimes it works, most tolerate such a diluted run but in the end we're getting the most movement off outside of tank work, using picks and tools to scrape where possible and actually physically remove algae. this contacts no coral nontargets, and applies an amplified version of peroxide right to the offender. we tightened up the scope of application

Then we apply peroxide to the post-surgical area, reverse to the usual order. sounds corny I know but its working well when dealing in hard/scrape possible substrates. Healthy zo's are so resistant it usually doesn't even matter though they just take a dip fine

scraping and damaging them not a great idea/I too would just dip em

Last edited:
OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed

on our threads we're constantly trying to stop nontarget application...target work outside of tank is best for those types of corals for sure. if they come with certain pests we like to just use the dips intended for those pests where possible

its a decent proph dip for zo's though, since they like to bring in various anchored algae in relation to their substrate inclusions and many times right on the flesh anchored right in the base

though people usually choose to dose one mil per ten gallons of peroxide into the tank to see what type of algae might go away (still contacting a bunch of nontargets) they do it because sometimes it works, most tolerate such a diluted run but in the end we're getting the most movement off outside of tank work, using picks and tools to scrape where possible and actually physically remove algae. this contacts no coral nontargets, and applies an amplified version of peroxide right to the offender. we tightened up the scope of application

Then we apply peroxide to the post-surgical area, reverse to the usual order. sounds corny I know but its working well when dealing in hard/scrape possible substrates. Healthy zo's are so resistant it usually doesn't even matter though

scraping and damaging them not a great idea/I too would just dip em
Ohh i dip in a container outside the tank.
I'm against adding chemichals to the tank other than alk, mag, cal, fuel and polyp extender. I try to find natural remedies like sea hares or nudis for certain algaes or manually remove the stuff.

david_ma

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
Wow these are some really nice zoa tanks. Do you guys keep a wrasse or 2 for potential pests always? What's the best for that?

Back