Zoa ID please

Unenabled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to reefing and have been using this site for months and have learned a lot and avoided a lot of stupid mistakes from what I have read. That being said, I can’t seem to find what kind of zoa’s I have. I got these from a buddy a month ago but he has no idea what they are and google hasn’t been much help either. I want to eventually add another zoa frag to the rock and I want to know what would grow well with these and what wouldn’t overtake my existing colony (or what wouldn’t be overtaken by what I already have!) If you can’t tell from the blue light, they have a yellow center and an orange ring. Thanks in advance :)

image.jpg image.jpg
Edit: Sorry if I made this thread in the wrong place. I just made an account and am new to posting on forum sites.

Last edited:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree completely. That's the point...
But you're not agreeing. The point you say you're agreeing to basically means that Goblins on Fire will grow better in your tank, while Rastas might grow better in my tank (and I would have a backward experience to you).

You're the one who asked for examples, and I provided them.
I asked for Proof, not examples. Proof comes from scientific foundations, not "These did better than these in my tank", that's anecdotal evidence and would not be proof.

My point was that there are different species in the trade,
agreed here
and therefore of course different zoas have different growth rates,
less so here, if given optimal environment for the species type, I believe growth rates are likely indistinguishable from one another.
I claim that it is possible to reliably ID many zoas by their trade name in different conditions.
Of course the phenotype of any organism is a results of genotype and environmental factors.
Agree with the 2nd point somewhat, but can't agree with the first unless you define the word "many", and even then, unless you're genetically identifying them with a specific mother colony, it seems pretty impossible.
However, I believe you are exaggerating the extent to which environment will change a given zoa.
All it takes is a quick read on these forums to know I'm not exaggerating anything. There are several posts about "My zoas closed for a month and now they're completely different colors". I may have been inaccurate in that orange and green can change to yellow and blue, (though that does seem plausible given wavelength approximation) but by no means is it an exaggeration, someone was talking about their zoa's orange face turning completely yellow (so I cannot see why the reverse couldn't be true).

If your eye is so great that you can spot a single species of zoa even after color morphism, my hats off to you, that's quite the feat. I just wouldn't put any stock in it whatsoever...

Upvote 0

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.. .. ...
I'm gonna say Google rainbow zoanthids and img. U might see yours and the pic might provide a name.

I come from a day when torches and hammers and frogspawn and octospawn didn't have names.
Sps and zoas and p's yes
D

Upvote 0

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bulls h i t answer and makes you sound like a total D head. That wasn't the subject of the post nor should that be the debate. The appeal of zoas for most people of today is there unique names and beauty. Buying random zoas at a lfs and then coming here for a name is absolutely a legitimate question. The fact that you felt the need to respond with that as a answer, tells me one of three things. You are either a old school reefer that is stuck in a old way of doing things and should either not butt your nose where it doesn't belong. You are not a reefer at all and just a lazy troll looking to discredit and bully people here to make yourself and your bad opinions heard. Or third, you are worlds biggest hypocrite and have purchased or have a tank full of over priced name brand zoas. Jealous that other people love the coral that you love and instead of answering the question, you decied to post a rant about why your meaningless opinion on why zoanthids are zoanthids and zoanthids don't have names and that's why this guy should be wondering what he has. No matter the reason, this person just like any other person has the right to ask a question and get a respectful answer. Did you know that a torch is a made of name and a hammer is made up name used by the industry to make it easy for regular non marine biologists to identify corals. There is no such thing as a holy grail torch or a radioactive frogspawn. We use those names to make it easy, so everyone knows what we are talking about. Same thing with zoanthids. If I tell you that I have some illuminati zoas for sale, right away most people know exactly what I am talking about without seeing a picture. Or if I say I'm selling rasta zoas, I don't need to post a picture becasue most people know what they are. If for no other reason than that, that is a perfectly acceptable reason. But there are also a million other reasons someone can ask what zoa thay have. Mostly they can ask just becssue they want to. People who can weigh in on the question can answer. If you are against it than make a post about it and start a debate. Don't come on here an bash someone becasue they want to know what they got. You are what's wrong with this hobby, not what's good about it. Furthermore, you are what's wrong with this world. It's people like you that cause headaches for others becssue you can't keep your suck hole shut. You think your opinion matters. It doesn't! Either give a legitimate answer or move on.
LOL, you need to take a chill pill white knight... He has the right to ask the question, and I have the right to tell him my answer... You live in a world full of one way streets apparently.

Also, "Torch" would be a colloquial name given to a species to make it easier for people to identify, "Holy Grail Torch" would be a Trade Name used to define a coloration and charge someone more money, the name by the way varies widely, just like the difference between NY Nicks and Joker, or the greatest one yet "Dragon Soul Torch" where apparently, the only requirement for a "Dragon Soul Torch" is that they have green mouths, the tentacle color can be completely different... They're names given out by people trying to make a buck, and others are co-opting those names to increase their sales prices.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Unenabled

Unenabled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be rude and bite the hand that’s feeding me but if y’all could not highjack the thread that would be great. Anyway, what do you guys recommend to put next to the zoas I already have? I don’t think I got any replies on that.

Upvote 0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be rude and bite the hand that’s feeding me but if y’all could not highjack the thread that would be great. Anyway, what do you guys recommend to put next to the zoas I already have? I don’t think I got any replies on that.
It really depends on what kind of zoas you are looking for. A new color, a really fast grower, etc. Can you provide a bit more info please.

Upvote 0

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't trying to hijack, and my apologies if you feel that's how it went. My initial reply wasn't meant to start a debate, which I think you understood since you said: "I never considered that" or something of the like. I was really just trying to point out that once the naming is lost, it's gone forever, even though some have disagreed here. But I'll leave you with this, all of these in this image are marketed as "Illuminati" Zoanthids, yet look at the differences. This is why I feel like setting your expectation on naming was a worthy addition to this conversation.

IlluminatiZoanthids.jpg

Upvote 0

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my dude needs to take a nap go for a walk homie was just asking for an ID not for you to unload whatever is going on in your life out on him.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Unenabled

Unenabled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what kind of zoas you are looking for. A new color, a really fast grower, etc. Can you provide a bit more info please.
Probably a fast grower. I’ve only had mine for a month and they started out with 18 heads. I think I have 26 now. I think I want something with a contrasting color that could grow at a similar pace.

Upvote 0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank, different colors of fast growers include:
Bloodsuckers - orange/red
Scrambled eggs - yellow with blue mouth
Daisy Cutters - blue with white and yellow daisy pattern. Be choosy when you select these. Some look just like daisies and some have a more speckled look.

Upvote 0

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone already mentioned this, just ignore. I kinda got lost in the wall of words in other posts and started skimming.

I have 40+ varieties of zoa/paly. Some really do grow like weeds and other are slow. Mother colony, environment or whatever ... I don’t know but it happens. Especially palys

Anyway, keep those separate. Find a complimentary color and also keep separate. Monitor growth rates in your tank and if compatible put on the same rock.

Upvote 0

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably a fast grower. I’ve only had mine for a month and they started out with 18 heads. I think I have 26 now. I think I want something with a contrasting color that could grow at a similar pace.
So to answer your question about what you could put next to them… zoas don’t typically totally take each other over but you would have plenty of time to intervene if you felt it necessary. I always like to put contrasting colors next to each other to make the zoas really pop. It’s even better, in my opinion, when they do start to grow together and mix. Then, the colors of each type pop out even more. I think what you have now is either Sunny D or Rainbow Infusions… both are pretty similar patterns. Maybe some Candy Apple Red zoas would work well with them? Or some Utter Chaos?
I use the color wheel method usually. Another unpopular opinion - Queen of Reef has some great videos on using the color wheel to make your corals pop and how to mix zoas to get the best looking results. Best of luck and sorry for all the noise on your really simple questions!

Upvote 0

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, you need to take a chill pill white knight... He has the right to ask the question, and I have the right to tell him my answer... You live in a world full of one way streets apparently.

Also, "Torch" would be a colloquial name given to a species to make it easier for people to identify, "Holy Grail Torch" would be a Trade Name used to define a coloration and charge someone more money, the name by the way varies widely, just like the difference between NY Nicks and Joker, or the greatest one yet "Dragon Soul Torch" where apparently, the only requirement for a "Dragon Soul Torch" is that they have green mouths, the tentacle color can be completely different... They're names given out by people trying to make a buck, and others are co-opting those names to increase their sales prices.
My point to which you missed is that the post was not about the over inflated prices of name brand corals. The person specifically asked for a ID name of his zoa. You then decied to take it a direction that has zero point and gave the poster zero help to solving their question. If you want to debate the names of corals in relationship to their prices then start a post about it and I'm sure you will have a million people willing to debate you. Posting the comment that you posted is a pointless claim and all it proves is that you think you are smarter than everyone else. You are a troll!! That's it. Take your knowledge and do something good with it. Start your post that you feel so strongly about. Or answer the question legitimately. If you can't do either than just move on saying nothing.

Upvote 0

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point to which you missed is that the post was not about the over inflated prices of name brand corals. The person specifically asked for a ID name of his zoa. You then decied to take it a direction that has zero point and gave the poster zero help to solving their question. If you want to debate the names of corals in relationship to their prices then start a post about it and I'm sure you will have a million people willing to debate you. Posting the comment that you posted is a pointless claim and all it proves is that you think you are smarter than everyone else. You are a troll!! That's it. Take your knowledge and do something good with it. Start your post that you feel so strongly about. Or answer the question legitimately. If you can't do either than just move on saying nothing.
Not a troll, the op thanked me for my initial response, so apparently, they found value in it. What transpired after that initial exchange was a debate about the merits of my initial reply, with people other than the OP. I answered the OPs question, whether you agree that my answer is legitimate or not bears no relevance to the conversation, the OP found it legitimate and that's what matters. Perhaps, in this instance, you're the troll, seeing as rather than answering the OP's question, your only two contributions to this thread consist of you just trying to insult me?

Upvote 0
Back