Zoa on Hermit Crab

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overnight, one of my zoas attached itself to the shell of one of my hermit crabs! Is this common? my rock anemone also destructed from the rock and attached to my glass. Any tips on how to safely get that back to the rock? Or is it better just to leave it?

image.jpg

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens. Hard to imagine the crab would sit long enough for that though? Could it be a nem?
It’s possible, but it looks like the zoas I have on the rock. the hermit crabs do sit on that rock more than anywhere else in the tank and some stay so still I think they’ve died at times

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How sure are you those brown guys are Zoas? Look like pest anenome to me.
I’m actually not sure at all! Someone suggested in my first thread that I may have pest anemones on the rock stinging my GSP causing them to sometimes stay closed. I replied to them asking which one they were referring to as there is one on the rock I’m sure is an anemone (I’ll add a pic) but they never replied. Later, someone else told me they were zoas and I told them I didn’t think they were due to their bland colors but they assured me that’s what they were. They seem to be growing and are almost always open even if the GSP aren’t.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 57

sealife4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not uncommon to find things growing on hermits or other tank mates! Here’s a pic of a pineapple sponge on my sand sifter.
79FA5ECF-BFF4-48ED-ABA3-411B246C8BA2.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look exactly like majano nems. See pic belt for reference. This one is a bit more colorful, burn they come in brown, green, red, and pink

A0220034-0602-4F56-B039-23E569F4ACD3.jpeg
I wouldn’t mind them if they had colors like that! Is it something I should worry about spreading to other parts of the tank or killing my corals? If so, how can I fix the problem?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t mind them if they had colors like that! Is it something I should worry about spreading to other parts of the tank or killing my corals? If so, how can I fix the problem?
They can be and will spread. Not as fast as aiptasia though.

If you can remove rock. Easy to kill them.

In bucket of old tank water, inject each one with a lemon juice and kalk mix. Right in the mouth with a needle.

Wait a few minutes, whoosh rock around in old tank water and then place rock back in tank.

If cannot remove rock, do the same, just a few of them every few hours.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back