Zoanthid growth rate

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Melia, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Melia

Melia Member

Hello. I'm new to this forum and I love learning all about corals and ocean life. I need to know how fast a zoanthid grows. Unlike most zoanthid owners, I need to find out how slow a basic zoanthid can grow. How fast does it sprout new polyps? It's hard to explain but basically, what's the rate of growth for a common zoanthid? I'm not looking to make them grow faster, if anything I'd like to keep the growth rate as constant as possible. Please let me know coral lovers!

2. ChiCity

ChiCity Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

There's no right answer

FLAdaboy and reeferfoxx like this.
  3. Mikeinthekeys

Mikeinthekeys Well-Known Member

Well the growth is actually exponential, meaning the bigger it gets the faster it grows. Think about, you start with 2 polyps, turns into 4, turns into 8, turns into 16 and on and on. I am new to coral keeping but an experienced fish keeper and have a passion just like you. I got my first zoanthid frag about 2 weeks ago and am just seeing growth in the original polyps. No new polyps yet, but I will post progress photos soon. Follow me!

Melia likes this.
  4. sil40sx

sil40sx Well-Known Member

In my experience, they're all different. For example, my sakura sprout 4-6 polyps in a month, then my browsers one new polyp in two months. LOL

All this considering you have stable water parameters. Some zoas are really finicky, sometimes they just melt for some really minor stuff.

Melia and reeferfoxx like this.
  5. reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

+1

I've seen zoas grow new polyps almost every other day. Then I have one that's been one polyp for over a year ;Wacky.. Then there will be times a full colony just starts to melt away for what seems like no reason at all..;Penguin

Melia and sil40sx like this.
  6. Mikeinthekeys

Mikeinthekeys Well-Known Member

I guess that's right. All depends on the zoa you get.

Melia and reeferfoxx like this.
  7. Melia

Melia Member

Thanks so much you guys! I'm so thankful for your responses!

8. A Toadstool Leather

A Toadstool Leather Well-Known Member

Depends on the zoa and conditions. My orange bam bams have sprouted 3 new polyps since I got them but my sunny d's wont grow. Zoas tend to have varying care requirements.

Melia likes this.
  9. keddre

keddre Well-Known Member

Depends on the tank. In my lfs' sterile tank their frag grew noticeably (can't put a number on it) in a couple week. After a month in my polluted tank, it hasn't grown; I suspect that when I take it back to my lfs, it will probably start growing again

Melia likes this.
  10. Andrewalex11

Andrewalex11 Reef Technology R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

You must keep in mind that Zoanthids are sensitive to things brushing up against them so usually any presence of hair algae, or livestock that constantly irritate them may grow at a slower pace.

Draft saved Draft deleted