Zoanthid growth rate

Melia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm new to this forum and I love learning all about corals and ocean life. I need to know how fast a zoanthid grows. Unlike most zoanthid owners, I need to find out how slow a basic zoanthid can grow. How fast does it sprout new polyps? It's hard to explain but basically, what's the rate of growth for a common zoanthid? I'm not looking to make them grow faster, if anything I'd like to keep the growth rate as constant as possible. Please let me know coral lovers!

Mikeinthekeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm new to this forum and I love learning all about corals and ocean life. I need to know how fast a zoanthid grows. Unlike most zoanthid owners, I need to find out how slow a basic zoanthid can grow. How fast does it sprout new polyps? It's hard to explain but basically, what's the rate of growth for a common zoanthid? I'm not looking to make them grow faster, if anything I'd like to keep the growth rate as constant as possible. Please let me know coral lovers!

Well the growth is actually exponential, meaning the bigger it gets the faster it grows. Think about, you start with 2 polyps, turns into 4, turns into 8, turns into 16 and on and on. I am new to coral keeping but an experienced fish keeper and have a passion just like you. I got my first zoanthid frag about 2 weeks ago and am just seeing growth in the original polyps. No new polyps yet, but I will post progress photos soon. Follow me!

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, they're all different. For example, my sakura sprout 4-6 polyps in a month, then my browsers one new polyp in two months. LOL

All this considering you have stable water parameters. Some zoas are really finicky, sometimes they just melt for some really minor stuff.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no right answer
+1

I've seen zoas grow new polyps almost every other day. Then I have one that's been one polyp for over a year ;Wacky.. Then there will be times a full colony just starts to melt away for what seems like no reason at all..;Penguin

OP
OP
Melia

Melia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much you guys! I'm so thankful for your responses!

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the zoa and conditions. My orange bam bams have sprouted 3 new polyps since I got them but my sunny d's wont grow. Zoas tend to have varying care requirements.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the tank. In my lfs' sterile tank their frag grew noticeably (can't put a number on it) in a couple week. After a month in my polluted tank, it hasn't grown; I suspect that when I take it back to my lfs, it will probably start growing again

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must keep in mind that Zoanthids are sensitive to things brushing up against them so usually any presence of hair algae, or livestock that constantly irritate them may grow at a slower pace.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%

Back