Zoanthids forming long stems??

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two zoanthid gardens in my tank, one is on a rock in the sand bed and the other one is higher up in the tank. I put whatever zoanthids that have been reaching in the higher garden because they say they reach for more light. But I’ve noticed the zoanthids closet to the top of the tank are reaching even more now. And it’s not just one colony it’s all of them, but yet the ones on the sand bed are not reaching at all. should I try moving the light closer to the tank? I can provide pictures if needed.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never been able to beat that condition, zos don’t do well in my pico due to that even if I lower light and raise intensity directly over them, wish I knew the cause

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been collecting zoas for over 10 years

Long stretching stems is a sign of them stretching for light. Your light is not intense enough so they are reaching for light.

The opposite is true. If zoas don't have much of a stem and are flat against the rock AND their disc is shrinking, a sign you have too much light intensity.

Too much light is the worse place to be bc they'll keep shrinking and then disappear. Stretching stems will at least sustain themselves. Some ppl are like the look of stretching zoas. Personal choice.

The best middle ground is to find the right intensity where the stem is about half as tall as the disc is wide.

You know you've hit the sweetspot when the discs form a slight inverted cup during the highest light intensity. This inverted cup tells you they are loving the sunbathing!

Pro tip: never permanently glue down a new colony of zoas until you find a definite sweetspot in the tank. Leave them on the discs. Start them at the bottom and every 3 weeks move them up closer to the waterline until you see the sweetspot. Then glue them down if you want. I've moved zoas on discs sometimes as much as a dozen times before deciding on a semi-permanant home

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind, some zoas like or tolerate more or less light than others.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is more about flow than lighting. On my tank, low flow = longer stems. High flow = shorter stems.

I've watched one go from shorter stem, to longer stem, back to shorter stem in the exact same spot all due to flow changes. I didn't even know they could do that.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a massive difference between gobstoppers having long stems vs Rastas.

While flow does affect stem growth its because the zoa is getting beat to death with current and protecting itself. Does not mean its happy in higher current.

With longer stem zoas like gobstoppers or sunny ds stretching is more likely caused by low nutrients and lighting. With entrusting zoas like bam bams its usually lighting.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back