Zoanthids not closing?

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I noticed that a colony of my zoas weren’t closing when I was feeding which I found very odd. I even touched them lightly and they did not close but still reacted. They almost looked like they were popping out. Now I’m noticing a lot of my other colony’s doing it too. They do close sometimes but more of the times they stay open. Anyone know what the problem can be? Parameters are all perfect except alk and ph. ph was low so I started added the ph buffer but that also contains alk so it was raising my alk too. Now my alk is at 13.7 and ph at 8.1

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Feeding response differs amongst coral The larger the food... the more response it seems.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pictures?
@footgal told me she has zoas that don’t close even at night.
Maybe just odd ball behavior?
@dyerrm is correct. I have zoas that never close (I've even checked at 3 am!). I frag them and they're open the whole time, they move to collect reefroids, and hermit crabs/snails crawl on them but they never close. Most of my other zoas close for all of these things so I'm not sure why these never close.

Based on your description of "almost inside out" it sounds like you may have caught the early stages of "umbrella effect" which is when a zoa doesn't have enough light so it sends its oral plate up as kind of a last resort. Are the stems or stalks of your zoas very enlongated? Can you post a picture?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some reverse space monsters that were doing the umbrella act. I dosed iodide a little over a few days and they look fine now. Just anecdotal observation so take it for what its worth.

Back