zoanthids open like umbrella and melting

CRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I cannot figure out what is happening to my magician zoas. They are opening in that weird umbrella way and are starting to melt. My only suspicion is the burning blossoms that are growing into them. I did have one magician dethatched from the colony, but the rest have stayed put. My water parameters have also shown no change. it would be dfficult to move the zoas as well because both colonies are attached to the rock. Any help would be great.

IMG_1496.jpg

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Have you checked your parameters? Ca+, dKh, Ph, Mg?

SeaworthyAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The umbrella cap makes me think it's bacterial. Most likely one was damaged and developed an infection which is now spreading to the others. Can also happen if a lot of detritus builds up around the bases of the zoas. I'd say iodine dip but sounds like that might be difficult.

OP
OP
CRath

CRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The umbrella cap makes me think it's bacterial. Most likely one was damaged and developed an infection which is now spreading to the others. Can also happen if a lot of detritus builds up around the bases of the zoas. I'd say iodine dip but sounds like that might be difficult.
Iodine could work. I don't know if it is safe to dip rock flower anemones. I have two attached to the same rock. I do wonder if it is a species specific bacterial infection. The rest of the zoas right next to them are fine. I also do take a turkey baster and blow detritus out when I do water changes.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water change time whatever it is its bugging alot of them, fresh carbon

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back