OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no worries. My CUC is just some hermits and two snails. Honestly if they bother her it’s their own fault. And they aren’t doing their jobs anyhow :p

Last edited:

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no worries. My CUC is just some hermits and two snails. Honestly if they bother her it’s their own fault. And they aren’t doing their jobs anyhow :p
Lol true I suppose.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost the crab. I couldn’t figure out why. I also had an explosion of green hair algae and more cyano. I think I’m going to have to buy some of the chemiclean and hope it eliminates the issue and isn’t just a band aid.

I do think I know what happened to the crab though. My hermits has knocked down some of the zoas. So I went wading in, scraping some cyano out and trying to fix the zoas. Well some of you remember I’ve been having health issues with my hands. Mom gave me a copper bracelet. Yeah. I forgot I was wearing it and was in the tank for a good hour playing with things, with the bracelet. I believe the copper leached out and that did the poor crab in.

The pistol shrimp still seems fine, I’ve heard him popping under the rocks and all hermits are accounted for.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost the crab. I couldn’t figure out why. I also had an explosion of green hair algae and more cyano. I think I’m going to have to buy some of the chemiclean and hope it eliminates the issue and isn’t just a band aid.

I do think I know what happened to the crab though. My hermits has knocked down some of the zoas. So I went wading in, scraping some cyano out and trying to fix the zoas. Well some of you remember I’ve been having health issues with my hands. Mom gave me a copper bracelet. Yeah. I forgot I was wearing it and was in the tank for a good hour playing with things, with the bracelet. I believe the copper leached out and that did the poor crab in.

The pistol shrimp still seems fine, I’ve heard him popping under the rocks and all hermits are accounted for.
Quite possibly.
The chemiclean should take care of it, however it wont knock the gha out.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I figured it wouldn’t. I had added a second light to make it brighter and the hair algae exploded. Still looking for that balance. It’ll be a while before I find it I’m sure.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I figured it wouldn’t. I had added a second light to make it brighter and the hair algae exploded. Still looking for that balance. It’ll be a while before I find it I’m sure.
Gotta find the light with the right lights lol.
Like the Mars aqua, they are more prone to grow hair algae in my opinion.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta find the light with the right lights lol.
Like the Mars aqua, they are more prone to grow hair algae in my opinion.

Very true. The issue is this is a freshwater light. I was told I need less actinic cause the red cyano thrives under it, and go more white. So I thought tossing a fresh unit for the time being would brighten it. It does seem to grow less under it but I think I’ll need one fixture instead of the two. I just can’t dial the orbit marine in right. I want the new current fixture. The loop. I’ve heard it’s plenty bright and easier to customize it.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. The issue is this is a freshwater light. I was told I need less actinic cause the red cyano thrives under it, and go more white. So I thought tossing a fresh unit for the time being would brighten it. It does seem to grow less under it but I think I’ll need one fixture instead of the two. I just can’t dial the orbit marine in right. I want the new current fixture. The loop. I’ve heard it’s plenty bright and easier to customize it.
Hmmmm.......why not just two kessil a80s connected to a timer?
Would be perfect and look great.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this time I don’t have money to spend. The freshwater light I’ve had for quite some time, when I housed my wild bettas in this very tank. Would you believe I have four spare freshwater lights and only knensalt light, which is too small for the salt tank? Lol.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this time I don’t have money to spend. The freshwater light I’ve had for quite some time, when I housed my wild bettas in this very tank. Would you believe I have four spare freshwater lights and only knensalt light, which is too small for the salt tank? Lol.
Wild betas?? Where did you find those at?

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indonesia :p

There’s groups on Facebook which have sellers, most overseas but a few in the states as well. Also The Wet Spot sells them. Aquabid too. You would be surprised by the variety of them. Makes the little fancies not so fancy in my opinion. :)

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indonesia [emoji14]

There’s groups on Facebook which have sellers, most overseas but a few in the states as well. Also The Wet Spot sells them. Aquabid too. You would be surprised by the variety of them. Makes the little fancies not so fancy in my opinion. :)
Oh lol! I thought you meant you catch them nearby where you live haha!

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh lol! I thought you meant you catch them nearby where you live haha!
Oh gosh, I wish!

On the tank front today I lucked up and found 40 more lbs of base rock for a very reasonable price! I’m not sure how to scape with this as it’s big pieces again. I may smash one lol.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh, I wish!

On the tank front today I lucked up and found 40 more lbs of base rock for a very reasonable price! I’m not sure how to scape with this as it’s big pieces again. I may smash one lol.
Smashing them is always a good thing lol.
Just dont bust up a good looking piece haha.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my scape for the night. I’m currently looking into a yellow watchman goby. I think that would make my pistol shrimp happy :)
8D637FA0-BE14-47C8-827A-5A4CF812DF31.jpeg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my scape for the night. I’m currently looking into a yellow watchman goby. I think that would make my pistol shrimp happy :)
8D637FA0-BE14-47C8-827A-5A4CF812DF31.jpeg
Looking good!

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :) I’m pleased with it. I think if I brush the hair algae every day I can keep it at bay. Stirring the sub too in hopes of the cyano not taking over again. Payday I’m hoping to get some chemiclean.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :) I’m pleased with it. I think if I brush the hair algae every day I can keep it at bay. Stirring the sub too in hopes of the cyano not taking over again. Payday I’m hoping to get some chemiclean.
If you brush it off and do your water changes it might just go away completely to be honest.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back