Zoas domain

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s the tank. Still looks bad this week. I’ve not had much time between probate my household duties and my job to do much in the way of maintenance other than top offs. Sigh. Pics tomorrow if I have the time.
That's actually not bad looking. Personally I would run those lights on about 50% being how shallow it is.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some shots today.

2D33F5FD-800B-48F9-901D-95E317560C4E.jpeg
E168CFD7-B5C6-4D5F-9822-54853F6AF1C0.jpeg
DABDF54C-859F-4C64-BF36-80D80C3EBA16.jpeg
53DCBBEF-93F0-4A94-99F3-4F4A7FD4E58A.jpeg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your having an issue with red and green cyano.
Chemiclean!

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t think cyano was hairy?
Oh it can be.
I've had it that way before.
That is cyanogen at its finest right there.
What kind of water do you add to your tank?
Drop your lights down to about 60%.
Your tank might possibly need a little more flow as well.
But get some chemiclean and it's one scoop per 10 gallons, so it you have a 40 it only four scoops. But I like to underdose when I have to. So I would do about three scoops and let it sit for 48hours, add an extra bubbler if it can for aeration.
Then a 20% water change after the 48 hours.
The cyanobacteria will be gone by then.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like green hair algae to me.You may have phosphates leaching out of your rocks.
That's what I'm thinking and if that's the case, an phos. kit might not detect it.

Had the same issue with old live rock (leaching phos) and GFO resolved it, but you really need to start at a very low dose.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it can be.
I've had it that way before.
That is cyanogen at its finest right there.
What kind of water do you add to your tank?
Drop your lights down to about 60%.
Your tank might possibly need a little more flow as well.
But get some chemiclean and it's one scoop per 10 gallons, so it you have a 40 it only four scoops. But I like to underdose when I have to. So I would do about three scoops and let it sit for 48hours, add an extra bubbler if it can for aeration.
Then a 20% water change after the 48 hours.
The cyanobacteria will be gone by then.
I add rodi water. I have the ro buddie with the di resin addition, and I’ve had it since January so still new membrane.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LadyMac
Do you know what your phosphates and nitrates test to?
M nitrates are zero, no clue on phosphates. I have a friend with a test kit but I have to take a sample to them.

FWIW I was told that I need to raise both for the zoas to be happy. But it seems if I try to feed the zoas the algae gets worse.

Last night I took a toothbrush to the t
Rock. Upped the flow of the return pump to add more flow to the tank. The clowns aren’t too happy but they will get used to it.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M nitrates are zero, no clue on phosphates. I have a friend with a test kit but I have to take a sample to them.

FWIW:
Zeroed out nitrates and phosphates are not good.
And... If your phos. and nitrates are out of balance it could trigger cyano.

Wish you all the best :)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the members of your cuc?
Are you doing routine water changes and with what source of water? (sorry is this has been asked and answered).
Are you removing detritus from your filtration system?
Looks like GHA and some cyano to me.
I would do a complete black out for 3-4 days. I would also look into upgrading your lighting. The natural sunlight from the window could be contributing to the issue.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the members of your cuc?
Are you doing routine water changes and with what source of water? (sorry is this has been asked and answered).
Are you removing detritus from your filtration system?
Looks like GHA and some cyano to me.
I would do a complete black out for 3-4 days. I would also look into upgrading your lighting. The natural sunlight from the window could be contributing to the issue.
Hermit crabs, about seven. And a snail under the sand. I had other snails but thy all died and I don’t know why. It had me thinking Dino’s but I’ve done the coffee filter test and nothing reformed. Not sure how accurate it is though.

I do clean the sump. Daily I rinse the floss that’s in there as it turns brown ( diatoms?) and weekly I clean the other course pads. I have broad leaf calurpa in the sump. That’s really it for filtration. I do have an in tank skimmer which is now in the sump ( Hydor slim skim) and I clean the cup as needed.

My water is from an RO buddie, got it new in January.(it also has the DI resin) I mix it with Reef Crystals for my water changes. I don’t have a refractometer but I have a pretty accurate hydrometer tested to a friends refractometer. I’ve also had him test for tds in my source water and after the rodi filtration. I get zero tds from the RO buddie and my source water itself is rather low also.

The tank has been moved away from the window. I have blackout curtain on the one nearest to the tank, and it sits under an eave and trees so no natural light hits it.

I am planning to get the phosphates tested. My thing is, when I was upping feedings since zoas like it “dirtier” he algae exploded even more. I’ve even tried feeding them directly, and now one won’t really open. It caused the algae to grow more around the zoa polyps. The hermits will climb all over the zoas picking at them. I’m sure they are working on some of the algae. I think I’m going to invest in a few mollies and acclimate them to my tank. Maybe they will help graze some of this algae.

Oh light. Yes I need an upgrade but for now I have to use this one. It had good spectrum, but is it too bright or not enough? I’m getting conflicting information, saying turn down the intensity, or get a better one.

The other day I got bored and made a canopy out of foam paper. Lol. It looks decent but I did it for a couple reasons. One I was tired of seeing the light and the hob overflow. Two I worry about my clowns leaping. Three to help evap. It bring foam and paper I’m not sure how long it’ll really last. It’s also a good guide for what I want the husband to build for me. To match the stand better of course.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the zoanthids were failing prior to the algae outbreak I would suspect lighting. Zoanthids may not thrive in low nutrient systems but they do not require elevated nutrients. You really do not need to feed them or add any nutrients to that tank based on the presence of the algae. I would cease feeding them.

A Pin Cushion Uchin/Tuxedo, or Chitons, Cerith Snail, Turbo Snail will help mow down that algae. At this age of the tank you should not see diatoms, diatoms bloom initially secondary to elevate silicate levels, once the silicate levels decline the diatoms die off.

What I would do is turn off the pumps, take a tooth brush scrub off the rocks, let the algae and detritus settle, siphon it out during your next water change, afterwards turn the pumps on and let it cycle though than clean the mechanical filtration. I would add some phosguard and run it passively. Feed only the fish what they need.

I have no personally experience with the light.

First and foremost do not get discouraged this can be overcome with some routine maintenance and time. I know you get a hundred different opinions on what to do, I am just suggesting what has worked for me in the past.

:)

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoas are not really failing, or weren’t. They just didn’t grow. I’ve had my eagles eye for quite some time with just three heads on there since I brought it home. It opens and looks decent. Just hasn’t grown. So I was told offer phyto

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I brought home three sailfin mollies. The male has already been nomming on the algae. Here’s hoping I don’t have an explosion of fry. :p

As you can see Krusty ( she needs a better name) is kinda confused by the new tankmates

47FE8449-9890-44D0-85AD-071549FB80D4.jpeg
60A8FAD2-13FB-456C-A9F3-00224CD13796.jpeg
4BA40B6E-86B8-4FDD-8C46-DF3D58B715D4.jpeg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a slight update while it’s on my mind. It seems the mollies are doing a decent job. Or the light schedule. I put it where the actinics were on longer than the other setting. Seems I still have the cyano but it’s not near as bad and the hair algae is slowly goin away. I added a spray bar to the outflow and it gives it a little more of an even flow throughout the top section.

I lost the Dalmatian mollie but the other female seems to be putting on a nice squared belly. I’m betting she is going to bless me with fry.

My betta just released his brood and the angelfish are doing great with their little ones.

A few pics of the various fry and zoas as well as a side view of the 40 breeder.
2B3C3183-16FE-4A47-9319-106CF3B1CBA6.jpeg

The day before I lost the Dalmatian. I think the clowns were a tad rough with her.

E6BDC847-EAD0-42BB-B13A-ABD15A766D10.jpeg

Angelfish fry :)

F8AEE793-230B-44A0-A600-D1121E157802.jpeg

Betta pallifina fry :)

B9DFEF67-802E-4919-8B9F-92E6AC80C5AE.jpeg

Half decent cell shot of one of the zoas.

7E0F9D2C-B134-485A-A89C-A1F63F7ECA04.jpeg

Side shot of the 40. All that green algae was fluffy a few days ago. They’ve done well. Constantly chewing on it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back