OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I hope it likes it in there. I got some knee highs to put on the powerhead but haven’t done so yet. Was not feeling well tonight so didn’t get around to it. When lights went off it was still comfy in its crevice so here’s hoping it doesn’t wander.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I hope it likes it in there. I got some knee highs to put on the powerhead but haven’t done so yet. Was not feeling well tonight so didn’t get around to it. When lights went off it was still comfy in its crevice so here’s hoping it doesn’t wander.
How's it doing today?

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be ok. It moved to kinda under the rock but I fed and I believe it ate so that’s progress.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the anemone. I guess it’s mad? It’s on a rock and has made little effort to move. But it’s shriveled up. Last night after the white lights went off I noticed one of the clowns pecking at the nem. I have read this was normal but this morning the poor thing looks so sad. I also read the lights may be bright and that I need to acclimate it to those. He doesn’t seem to be gaping. I’m thawing some mysis and krill and will see if it will eat. Sigh.

Parameters are all great.
Ammonia -0
Nitrite -0
Nitrate -0 to.5
Ph -8.2
Salinity -1.021( im trying to get it up, could this be the issue?)
Mag- 1240
Alk - 9-10

I do still have a ton of hair algae but the rock I placed him on is algae free minus the Coraline.
I will be really bummed if he doesn’t make it.
78018847-7133-40F4-B745-7062A1ECE6C1.jpeg
6D370C58-DA47-4B0F-B52B-DBF39E3D1E78.jpeg
FD0047E6-8C1E-484C-A455-DEAA649BAB88.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the anemone. I guess it’s mad? It’s on a rock and has made little effort to move. But it’s shriveled up. Last night after the white lights went off I noticed one of the clowns pecking at the nem. I have read this was normal but this morning the poor thing looks so sad. I also read the lights may be bright and that I need to acclimate it to those. He doesn’t seem to be gaping. I’m thawing some mysis and krill and will see if it will eat. Sigh.

Parameters are all great.
Ammonia -0
Nitrite -0
Nitrate -0 to.5
Ph -8.2
Salinity -1.021( im trying to get it up, could this be the issue?)
Mag- 1240
Alk - 9-10

I do still have a ton of hair algae but the rock I placed him on is algae free minus the Coraline.
I will be really bummed if he doesn’t make it.
78018847-7133-40F4-B745-7062A1ECE6C1.jpeg
6D370C58-DA47-4B0F-B52B-DBF39E3D1E78.jpeg
FD0047E6-8C1E-484C-A455-DEAA649BAB88.jpeg
Whats the temperatyre? And yes your salinity should be upped to 1.024 to 1.026 :)

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp is about 78. I did a waterchange today, pulled about ten gallons and added six freshly mixed ones. I didn’t realize I pulled ten, so only bought six lol. Will get four more tomorrow.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today’s update. This tank is an ungly cloudy mess. Tried to get the sump going, pump quit. No money for a new one yet so I guess one step forward and three back. Guess I’m off to pull more hair algae out. :/
0CB3C225-F23D-4A63-88B8-D7E76A6E4EDD.jpeg
3425E12D-9CDD-47AE-BE24-9B395AD5AA41.jpeg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today’s update. This tank is an ungly cloudy mess. Tried to get the sump going, pump quit. No money for a new one yet so I guess one step forward and three back. Guess I’m off to pull more hair algae out. :/
0CB3C225-F23D-4A63-88B8-D7E76A6E4EDD.jpeg
3425E12D-9CDD-47AE-BE24-9B395AD5AA41.jpeg
Could very well just be a bacteria bloom.
The best thing to do is try and keep light (sunlight) away from the tank as best you can, also cut your light schedule in half or 3/4.
Remember, if it's a small mini cycle or bacteria bloom, if you do a water change its not gonna help. By doing that you are removing somewhat cycled water and replacing it with fresh saltwater therefore removing what is starting.

If you have high levels of nitrates and or ammonia then by all means fight it.
But nothing in this hobby happens fast.
Your bioload is pretty low so I would only recommend doing water changes when absolutely necessary (when corals look as if they are dying or your fish start to look like they are suffering)
My biocube has a pretty heavy bioload and I do a water change.........I can't even remember my last one
763974cf0e8bf4df7d75b28d03b347e8.jpg
but here it is as of last night.
They get to a point so to speak where they somewhat take care of themselves with a little bit of help from you "but not to much"
Patience is key.
We are here if you need anything, so if you have tests on the water please post your levels so we can help get you back on track and a happy tank. Happy to help, and I hope all goes well.
And don't give up if you run into problems (I sure did)

I'll be checking in.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love you guys. I’ve gotten such good advice and help. Yesterday at the suggestion of someone i added some carbon and filter floss to an aquaclear. I know I’ll have to constantly change that out and keep it clean for nitrates but this morning I can see the back of the tank. So that’s a plus. Still a slight cloud but I’m sure it’s going to take some time to clear it up.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use air fresheners or hand sanitizers or stuff to clean the glass. ?

I can’t figure out what is making the bloom.
A Cam mentioned , there’s somthing called a mini cycle , it’s actually a release of ammonia into the tank and can cause a bloom. And alge yes as most use the term for just the algae.
But it’s the source of the bloom I don’t see.

And yea, nems are WEIRD!!
Eventually it will get you trained though. Lol.

Clowns are a love hate relationship with them. Most of the splits my nems have done was due to the fish pecking at them.
Now there’s three , and the clowns seem satisfied.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks and I share the same opinion on nems...they are weird! It will eventually find a spot it's comfortable in which may or may not be a spot you're comfortable with.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use air fresheners or hand sanitizers or stuff to clean the glass. ?

I can’t figure out what is making the bloom.
A Cam mentioned , there’s somthing called a mini cycle , it’s actually a release of ammonia into the tank and can cause a bloom. And alge yes as most use the term for just the algae.
But it’s the source of the bloom I don’t see.

And yea, nems are WEIRD!!
Eventually it will get you trained though. Lol.

Clowns are a love hate relationship with them. Most of the splits my nems have done was due to the fish pecking at them.
Now there’s three , and the clowns seem satisfied.
No use of any of that stuff. We do burn inscense but it’s not near the tank. I use a towel to wipe the glass down.

Sadly the nem perished not long after being picked on. I’m guessing it knew something was up before I did.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish do normally nip at and rub against their anemones, but big clownfish can stress a small anemone by doing so. Something to keep in mind, out into the future.

Sorry to hear that your lovely green BTA didn't make it.

~Bruce

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning update. So yesterday I was dissatisfied with the noise of the HOB aquaclear. And the bubbles. So I made a trailer trash sump pump lol. I hooked an old Eheim 2222 canister filter up to use as my pump. Not ideal but it is working. I need more flow of course. This is only 400 gph. I placed the carbon bag between baffles, because one of them came loose at the side and I’m out of silicon. Until I can actually afford something better I figured this will work. Placed some filter sponges in the pump section, and the canister is empty. Just functioning as a pump. Here’s is some pics, yesterday, of the sump and this morning. My tank is a lot more clear. I guess there’s more water moving from the tank to the sump and back for the carbon to have cleared it overnight. Thanks to all who suggested carbon and water polishing. Still hoping I win that Waterbox ;)
D5127939-B87B-4240-9481-E0B6DE819A51.jpeg
8BEE84B2-AC34-4613-8B7B-86856F372B46.jpeg
C274ED1D-C5B7-4B29-9D9D-77FDCF65CBAD.jpeg
778A7B07-9C7B-49D7-AE55-82D91F29E33C.jpeg
2BBA2F2B-F6BC-42E2-8F66-CCC63D8BF504.jpeg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trailer trash tank still has a slight cloud. I pulled one of the rocks and did a peroxide spray/ RO soak for a week. Added back last night. Still see a few spots of hair algae. Grr! Nothing like before. Closely watching params as it was about half the live rock and will need to re cycle. No biggie. Just patiently waiting until I win/ can buy a waterbox system. I think it would be a grand upgrade for my clowns, and the single frag I have. Give them proper equipment; so they can be happier I think. I have seen a decrease in the actual hair algae on the other rock, still get a brown dust over everything. I’m not sure it’s diatoms or what. Tank looks more “blue” this morning. I had scraped some hair algae off the back wall with a toothbrush. It was snot consistency and feel, but brown. So.... idk. Some days I wanna drain. Some days I want to play in the water. Some days I just stare and sigh. Lol. Anyhow obligatory FTS as of this morning.
4037FE23-56E7-4523-8FA9-CCE1868E2F40.jpeg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trailer trash tank still has a slight cloud. I pulled one of the rocks and did a peroxide spray/ RO soak for a week. Added back last night. Still see a few spots of hair algae. Grr! Nothing like before. Closely watching params as it was about half the live rock and will need to re cycle. No biggie. Just patiently waiting until I win/ can buy a waterbox system. I think it would be a grand upgrade for my clowns, and the single frag I have. Give them proper equipment; so they can be happier I think. I have seen a decrease in the actual hair algae on the other rock, still get a brown dust over everything. I’m not sure it’s diatoms or what. Tank looks more “blue” this morning. I had scraped some hair algae off the back wall with a toothbrush. It was snot consistency and feel, but brown. So.... idk. Some days I wanna drain. Some days I want to play in the water. Some days I just stare and sigh. Lol. Anyhow obligatory FTS as of this morning.
4037FE23-56E7-4523-8FA9-CCE1868E2F40.jpeg
Looking much better.
Just keep it up, read up on stuff if you have to.
Nothing happens fast.
I'll never forget the story of the lady that kept coming into our local fish store saying she's tired of replacing clowns.

......are you ready for what's next?
We asked why, she said she was tired of using table salt cause so she wanted to switch to "sea salt" which in turn.......the food kind.
So we had to explain to her that you can't just use table salt and put it in tap water.

So we sent her home with 40 gallons of freshly mixed saltwater and to start bringing in water for testing and she came back to buy other fish.
Now she has a nice little reef going.

Just figured I would share that.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Yeah reading every day :) what a fascinating story! I could see how she was confused. To some salt is salt. I hope her new clowns live a long happy life.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back