OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I finally got around to moving the hydor slim slim into the sump. It was.... a difficult move but it looks so much better. The zoanthid is still mad and has been closed since I had my hands in the tank messing with it.

Speaking of, I’ve a few frags coming, should be here Thursday. I got a blueberry gorgonian, not realizing it’s one of the hardest to care for. I figured if it doesn’t thrive I’ll rehome it. I’m sure someone here would want it? Will update with pics tomorrow or Thursday.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally earning its tank name :) we have:
Blue eyed monster
Lunar eclipse
Radioactive dragons eye

As well as a blueberry gorgonian( may or may not work out heard they can be tough and this is tiiiiiiny) and a red people eater palythoa. Haven’t opened fully ( just got in this afternoon) but the dragon eye is very active. It moves! I didn’t notice any of the other actually movin about so it’s interesting to say the least.
9CE0C81F-7B00-4998-AB6D-33DD1C12D171.jpeg

9BE52E0D-8C66-4B03-879D-E205B45E8628.jpeg

27E21800-0E1D-4F50-91B0-94DB6043991E.jpeg

3A364CC8-23D2-4566-A48D-88D6D57E59A9.jpeg

FA976884-BE14-4DEA-ACD3-7E3B478DC1B1.jpeg

B177EBF1-4400-45AA-96B1-3796AD572E36.jpeg
221F2BE3-F247-4E4D-9E21-E3E5DD665890.jpeg

1FB4869D-5DB3-4834-84DB-640BFB0CCEE8.jpeg

D2BB05D9-B0E7-438A-A055-B90650FB4793.jpeg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hubbs decided to paint the living room! It was a much needed change since it needed it 8 years ago when we moved in here, but we never got around to it. So tank drained and moved. I placed it on the other side of the room no longer right in front of the window. However the bay window still gives some morning light. Also a much needed leveling happened.

I ordered a Current USA Eflux wave pump kit since one of my powerheads magent attachment broke. I plan to get another two eventually, as well as upgrade to the orbit IC light.

I figured I can go ahead and upgrade this stuff and that way I’ll have it when I can finally get the Waterbox :) also have a return pump coming.

Will have to most likely mix the refugium part of the sump since the amount of evap almost drains the return part,so need it larger so my pump doesn’t sit dry.

Zoas and palythoa seem happy to be in the bucket with the clowns. I think the gorg is dead though. Went to bed last night with it lookin ok ( the tips have been very black since it was delivered) and now the whole thing seems to be black :( mostly due to shipping stress and having to reside in a bucket with less flow. Sigh.

Bringing tank to temp and will read everything later today once the sand settles.
Will add some photos once everything is back in order. Sump will be reinstalled after the pump gets here. Supposed to be tomorrow.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hubbs decided to paint the living room! It was a much needed change since it needed it 8 years ago when we moved in here, but we never got around to it. So tank drained and moved. I placed it on the other side of the room no longer right in front of the window. However the bay window still gives some morning light. Also a much needed leveling happened.

I ordered a Current USA Eflux wave pump kit since one of my powerheads magent attachment broke. I plan to get another two eventually, as well as upgrade to the orbit IC light.

I figured I can go ahead and upgrade this stuff and that way I’ll have it when I can finally get the Waterbox :) also have a return pump coming.

Will have to most likely mix the refugium part of the sump since the amount of evap almost drains the return part,so need it larger so my pump doesn’t sit dry.

Zoas and palythoa seem happy to be in the bucket with the clowns. I think the gorg is dead though. Went to bed last night with it lookin ok ( the tips have been very black since it was delivered) and now the whole thing seems to be black :( mostly due to shipping stress and having to reside in a bucket with less flow. Sigh.

Bringing tank to temp and will read everything later today once the sand settles.
Will add some photos once everything is back in order. Sump will be reinstalled after the pump gets here. Supposed to be tomorrow.
Did you keep the gorgonian submerged in water when putting it into your tank and moving it?

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a hair algae is still but the others seem ok. No new growth but they’re still alive so that’s a plus. The gorg is gone though

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a hair algae is still but the others seem ok. No new growth but they’re still alive so that’s a plus. The gorg is gone though
Well glad everything else seems to be kicking. Sorry about the gorgonian.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I didn’t have a lot of hope for it. My mistake getting it when I wasn’t ready.

I’m thinking of a few mollies to help with the hair algae. I will have to acclimate them for a few days to the salt though.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I didn’t have a lot of hope for it. My mistake getting it when I wasn’t ready.

I’m thinking of a few mollies to help with the hair algae. I will have to acclimate them for a few days to the salt though.
How bad is the hair algae?

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad is the hair algae?
It’s bad enough I worry about the zoas. The tigers eye hasnsome around the polyps. I was supposed to do a peroxide dip today but we were so busy moving hubbs office into the spare bedroom so I can have the office as a studio that I just didn’t have the time. Photos tomorrow, actinics don’t play nice witj my phone

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologize about the lack of photos. My dad passed Saturday so I’ve been trying to take care of things with him. I promise pics today. I’ve not had the chance to really do anything to the tank the past few days so the hair algae has exploded quite a bit. I need to peroxide dip the zoas. I will try to get to that tonight.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologize about the lack of photos. My dad passed Saturday so I’ve been trying to take care of things with him. I promise pics today. I’ve not had the chance to really do anything to the tank the past few days so the hair algae has exploded quite a bit. I need to peroxide dip the zoas. I will try to get to that tonight.
I'm sorry about your dad, don't worry about the photos. Get everything taken care of that you need to take care of.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you, for one moment, worry about our desires for fresh photos - take care of what you need to, and take care of you. I'm so very sorry to hear of your Father's passing.

If you're spending time here, I hope it's because it helps you relax and forget about all the stress in your world.

~Bruce

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys.

@Maritimer, yes. It does help me relax just a little.

See, a few years back he started up a bar, and it was beach themed. He had always enjoyed it. Well me being into fish the way I am he wanted me to fix up the current goldfish tank. We couldn’t go salt; he didn’t have the cash and I didn’t have the knowhow. So it was an angel community.

Things happened, his health got bad and he had to let it go. I have spoken with several friends on forums and Tom and Brian, (@Reefing Madness) helped to entertain a reef setup at home. Dad was really excited to see it progress, It helped to mend our relationship from personal happenings. For my birthday this January he bought me the new zoas. I had to share pics with him since he was unable to come see for himself.

He really enjoyed them and it was great that I could share something with him. I’m hoping one day that this tank is just amazing. Somethin he would truly be proud of.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I did a peroxide dip on several of the zoas. One of them bubbles up quite a bit more than I expected. Will get updated shots today of the tank. Hair algae is getting much worse. I have tested the tds of the water I use and it’s 0 so idk why it has exploded save the feeding extrato benefit the zoas. That balance is just not quite there yet.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I did a peroxide dip on several of the zoas. One of them bubbles up quite a bit more than I expected. Will get updated shots today of the tank. Hair algae is getting much worse. I have tested the tds of the water I use and it’s 0 so idk why it has exploded save the feeding extrato benefit the zoas. That balance is just not quite there yet.
You will get it under control soon. What kind of lights do you have and what are they set on?
It's possible that you are just feeding the algae what it needs to thrive.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get it under control soon. What kind of lights do you have and what are they set on?
It's possible that you are just feeding the algae what it needs to thrive.

I hope so. This tank has been a constant frustration for far too long. When I think I have it under control something goes wrong.

The light is still the current USA orbit marine. It’s not the pro. It’s 24” as opposed to 36 so it doesn’t reach the entire tank. I have it set on the sl-1 which is I think 8 hours of light; six being the white and actinic @100% and the last two being with just the actinics @100%. Im afraid to add more of the algae is still goin strong.

I will admit that I’ve had sump issues several times this week but I’ve been trying to get my daddy buried so it’s been on the back burner.

Today I scraped off much of the algae and added another powerhead, topped the sump off and turened the return pump back on. It’s a bit cloudy and my zoas are slightly mad but that’s ok. I notice most of the algae on them is gone now so that’s what I was the most worried about.

The clowns are not happy, the flow is more than they seem to like. They will deal though.

Return pump is turned down so it’s giving me 800gph, plus the current USA Felix is on stream for the time being at 660 gph and I placed another 400 gph powerhead back in. For a 40 breeder with a 15 gallon sump my flow should be more than enough.
DE3477D3-83C0-4D5A-B556-B0E04509C99B.jpeg
image.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so. This tank has been a constant frustration for far too long. When I think I have it under control something goes wrong.

The light is still the current USA orbit marine. It’s not the pro. It’s 24” as opposed to 36 so it doesn’t reach the entire tank. I have it set on the sl-1 which is I think 8 hours of light; six being the white and actinic @100% and the last two being with just the actinics @100%. Im afraid to add more of the algae is still goin strong.

I will admit that I’ve had sump issues several times this week but I’ve been trying to get my daddy buried so it’s been on the back burner.

Today I scraped off much of the algae and added another powerhead, topped the sump off and turened the return pump back on. It’s a bit cloudy and my zoas are slightly mad but that’s ok. I notice most of the algae on them is gone now so that’s what I was the most worried about.

The clowns are not happy, the flow is more than they seem to like. They will deal though.

Return pump is turned down so it’s giving me 800gph, plus the current USA Felix is on stream for the time being at 660 gph and I placed another 400 gph powerhead back in. For a 40 breeder with a 15 gallon sump my flow should be more than enough.
DE3477D3-83C0-4D5A-B556-B0E04509C99B.jpeg
image.jpg
Wait so that's your tank in the photo??

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so that's your tank in the photo??
Yes that’s the tank. Still looks bad this week. I’ve not had much time between probate my household duties and my job to do much in the way of maintenance other than top offs. Sigh. Pics tomorrow if I have the time.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.6%
Back