E91AC7F4-C59D-401B-AE34-AA3A800EF498.jpeg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that everything is looking good!
I didnt know you had freshwater tanks as well. Maybe I read that and forgot it.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Yes I actually started with fresh years ago. Which is why the salt is so frustrating. Lol. I shouldn’t be having such issues.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Yes I actually started with fresh years ago. Which is why the salt is so frustrating. Lol. I shouldn’t be having such issues.
Sorry! Didnt see that you replied. Have
Been moving. It's a in town move so taking it slow. Hows the tank doing?
Had to empty mine and move it, was rather nerve wrecking. But it's been up and running five days now since I set it back up and fingers are crossed.
2018-04-24_20.19.21.jpg
2018-04-24_20.18.24.jpg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it acclimated well for you! So far tank is doing ok. Still some algae and the cyano issue. What’s new though right?

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it acclimated well for you! So far tank is doing ok. Still some algae and the cyano issue. What’s new though right?
Lol you will get it all worked out. I remember my first cyano outbreak haha!
I didnt know what to do.
So I found chemi clean and I got it undercontrol.....that was my 125.
I'll send a link later

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAvent posted an update in a bit... been a hard couple months.

Saturday I added two extra powerheads to up my flow. They are both 600gph, plus the 660 gosh current eflux. And the return pump at full speed, in the hopes of getting rid on some of this algae. Due for a water change but will be tomorrow as I’m just not feeling well today. My sand is being blow. Everywhere now

Also, hermit crabs are jerks. I think I will try to get some super glue gel, and when I do a waterchange, glue some of these frag plugs down since the hermits keep pulling them down. Poor zoas!

I’ve entered the World Wide Coral contest, and have seen several corals o would love to try. I have just the spot picked out for a Bird of Paradise Bird nest. If I don’t win, maybe, depending on shipping( I’ll have to add it all up) I may can talk hubbs into it for my mother’s day gift. The colors are astounding! I don’t think the zoas would mind sharing their domain, just a little. I am also thinking of a hammer in here. Decisions decisions. Picsafter the water change so it doesn’t look as bad. Lol

#reef2reef,#worldwidecorals,#mywwccontest

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAvent posted an update in a bit... been a hard couple months.

Saturday I added two extra powerheads to up my flow. They are both 600gph, plus the 660 gosh current eflux. And the return pump at full speed, in the hopes of getting rid on some of this algae. Due for a water change but will be tomorrow as I’m just not feeling well today. My sand is being blow. Everywhere now

Also, hermit crabs are jerks. I think I will try to get some super glue gel, and when I do a waterchange, glue some of these frag plugs down since the hermits keep pulling them down. Poor zoas!

I’ve entered the World Wide Coral contest, and have seen several corals o would love to try. I have just the spot picked out for a Bird of Paradise Bird nest. If I don’t win, maybe, depending on shipping( I’ll have to add it all up) I may can talk hubbs into it for my mother’s day gift. The colors are astounding! I don’t think the zoas would mind sharing their domain, just a little. I am also thinking of a hammer in here. Decisions decisions. Picsafter the water change so it doesn’t look as bad. Lol

#reef2reef,#worldwidecorals,#mywwccontest
Hey I hope all is well.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I hope all is well.

Well, one of my rocks is just covered in cyano even with a powerhead right on it. And most of the sub has been blasted about, leaving bare spots. I may remove the sand simply cause it’s so ugly showing the bottom. Then again I hate the bare bottom look. I think health is more important than looks though.

Pics later if I get the time :)

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy tank update. So the freshwater soak went well. I had tried to get the rock back in there yesterday but my hands said no. Took the strength I had today to put them back. Of course moving the sand about clouded the tank. Should settle well. I’m sure I’ll have to check params since I basically reset my rock. Oh well. No cyano on there now!

Also I like this scape better. A local friend is planning a complete teardown and redo of his tank so I’m going to talk with him about his current rock. I would like to add more to my tank. I’m sure he wouldn’t charge too much. Hopefully. Lol. Also hubbs is planning to get me another eflux wavemaker. It’ll replace the giant on the right. Next step is a loop light fixture for across the whole tank as opposed to just the center. As you can see I have some definite dark spots, easier to tell while cloudy.

2577FC9D-997E-4FC5-9123-7AD683E8FC0F.jpeg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Yes it’s lookinng a whole lot better. I do still have a few cyano spots on the sand but so far it’s nothing too bad.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Yes it’s lookinng a whole lot better. I do still have a few cyano spots on the sand but so far it’s nothing too bad.
Well that's good, it should all level out from here once you work all the kinks out.
My dads tank is still eaten up with cyano and nothing he does works lol. So I'm gonna have to go and see what's causing it.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's good, it should all level out from here once you work all the kinks out.
My dads tank is still eaten up with cyano and nothing he does works lol. So I'm gonna have to go and see what's causing it.
Oh I hope you can get it sorted!

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this week I’ve lost a molly and did a blackout. Uncovered to find some zoas on the sub via the hermits who should be helping the cyano bloom but are evidentially freeloading slackers.

I’m not certain the type of algae on the back wall.

AE2A8E6E-EC7B-4BD5-BC42-8F0A9DA818DD.jpeg

Still waiting on a phosphate test. Should be fine since it’s a fairly new RODI setup but maybe there’s something in the rock.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this week I’ve lost a molly and did a blackout. Uncovered to find some zoas on the sub via the hermits who should be helping the cyano bloom but are evidentially freeloading slackers.

I’m not certain the type of algae on the back wall.

AE2A8E6E-EC7B-4BD5-BC42-8F0A9DA818DD.jpeg

Still waiting on a phosphate test. Should be fine since it’s a fairly new RODI setup but maybe there’s something in the rock.
That green algae is a very common algae, no worries there!

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That green algae is a very common algae, no worries there!
Good to know. I have some of the cyano growing over it. Also everywhere again. I’m at the point that I’m just going to leave it. It’s getting stringy. Lol.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the lfs today to buy some doggy bones for the girls. While they were bagging the bones I thought “I’ll go and see if there’s anything in the two salt tanks that I may want.”

Found a cute little emerald crab, who I thought, if he’s cheap enough I’ll go ahead and grab him. Walk to the register. Pay for bones. Pay for emerald crab (who was discounted since he’s been there for awhile)

Went to tank, to get the crab. While the girl was bagging, she asks, if I see any hermits ya want them? I said eh I don’t have the cash. She said she couldn’t help it if they stuck to the net lol. Well it so happens that a tiger pistol shrimp ( who was ordered and then left) and a bumblebee snail “stick to the net” lol. I came home with all three for less than five bucks.

Pics tomorrow as the actinics are on and I’m still dripping. I do hope they can help get a handle on this stuff. Oh! And I noticed two feather dusters living close to the zoas. So that’s cool I guess.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the lfs today to buy some doggy bones for the girls. While they were bagging the bones I thought “I’ll go and see if there’s anything in the two salt tanks that I may want.”

Found a cute little emerald crab, who I thought, if he’s cheap enough I’ll go ahead and grab him. Walk to the register. Pay for bones. Pay for emerald crab (who was discounted since he’s been there for awhile)

Went to tank, to get the crab. While the girl was bagging, she asks, if I see any hermits ya want them? I said eh I don’t have the cash. She said she couldn’t help it if they stuck to the net lol. Well it so happens that a tiger pistol shrimp ( who was ordered and then left) and a bumblebee snail “stick to the net” lol. I came home with all three for less than five bucks.

Pics tomorrow as the actinics are on and I’m still dripping. I do hope they can help get a handle on this stuff. Oh! And I noticed two feather dusters living close to the zoas. So that’s cool I guess.
Nice! Always awesome when that happens, no complaints haha.
That pistol shrimp will shoot your clean up crew though so watch out lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back