Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, guys,
The zoa that I got last week started expelling something today:
IMG_4732.jpeg

IMG_4732.jpeg

The coral wasn't doing that well,
It was a bit stretched and with 2 dead-looking polyps ( always open, colorless).
One of the dead looking polyps actually seemed to be growing another polyp head from it's branch:
IMG_4733.jpeg

This is how it looks under the blue light ( taken 2 days ago, you can see the dead polyps colorless:
IMG_4639.jpeg

Today I just started the Light Cycle and fed as I normally do with RedSea coral nutrition AB+ ( I try to spot the target then turn the flow back on), and after feeding I noticed the coral expelling something.

my tank
-64L water volume, model
-about a month old
-Corals: Duncan,2 different zoa colonies,: this one and another one that seems to be closing and has something on it ( post ) , Xenia, CandyCane, and one other coral I'm not sure how it's named. Everything but zoas is doing great.
-Livestock: 4 small hermit crabs, 2 Turbo snails, 2 clownfish, pods..
-Light: ATM I am using the crappy light that came with it, already ordered a better light waiting for it to arrive. I run full light for 6 hours and just 4 blue LEDs 30 minutes before and 3h after.
- Filter 4 stage ( 1. Filter sock, 2 Protein Skimmer, 3 Carbon and bio ceramic media, 4 return & heater)

Should I do anything about it? It seems to be happy where it is now, polyps are opening nicely. It's not very colorful under whitish light but that should change soon.
also, should I do anything about dead polyps or just leave them?
Thanks for the assistance :)

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, guys,
The zoa that I got last week started expelling something today:
IMG_4732.jpeg

IMG_4732.jpeg

The coral wasn't doing that well,
It was a bit stretched and with 2 dead-looking polyps ( always open, colorless).
One of the dead looking polyps actually seemed to be growing another polyp head from it's branch:
IMG_4733.jpeg

This is how it looks under the blue light ( taken 2 days ago, you can see the dead polyps colorless:
IMG_4639.jpeg

Today I just started the Light Cycle and fed as I normally do with RedSea coral nutrition AB+ ( I try to spot the target then turn the flow back on), and after feeding I noticed the coral expelling something.

my tank
-64L water volume, model
-about a month old
-Corals: Duncan,2 different zoa colonies,: this one and another one that seems to be closing and has something on it ( post ) , Xenia, CandyCane, and one other coral I'm not sure how it's named. Everything but zoas is doing great.
-Livestock: 4 small hermit crabs, 2 Turbo snails, 2 clownfish, pods..
-Light: ATM I am using the crappy light that came with it, already ordered a better light waiting for it to arrive. I run full light for 6 hours and just 4 blue LEDs 30 minutes before and 3h after.
- Filter 4 stage ( 1. Filter sock, 2 Protein Skimmer, 3 Carbon and bio ceramic media, 4 return & heater)

Should I do anything about it? It seems to be happy where it is now, polyps are opening nicely. It's not very colorful under whitish light but that should change soon.
also, should I do anything about dead polyps or just leave them?
Thanks for the assistance :)
everybody excretes (usually) brown waste

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have the test kits yet ( waiting to arrive same as light) but last I tested at LFS nitrates were at 2, alkalinity 8.5. Everything else was fine.
The biggest change is I started with carbon yesterday. Do you think I should do something about it? what about that dead polyp? That one seems to have died at LFS (entire colony is stretched, seems like it was not getting enough light).
Thanks

Pale Morning1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think any of those polyps look dead. I think you have multiple different kinds of zoas, palys on one frag.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you think it's just that, they are not expelling their color?
Could be a little bit of both. If your system has more light than wherever they came from, they will expel excess zooxanthellae but this is normal and shouldn’t be cause for alarm. It usually happens when you upgrade your lights or up your par too.

I agree with the previous comment that those zoas aren’t dead. They’re just a different color morph.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back