Zoas not opening

DSFa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I've got 6 zoa frags I had fragged myself from a friends tank, For some reason only 2.5/6 frags have opened up, the half frag is a zoa with 2 polyps but only one is opened other is closed.
Frags are all glued to the same rock about 3cm's apart from each other give or take. the 2 frags that have opened up look healthy and thriving. One has 3 polyps other has 5, all the other frags have less than 3 polyps each. They have been closed for a little over a week now when I had first put them in they were ALL open every single polyp then slowly each one closed. Pink one in attached photo is open but the polyp connected with it on other side isn't opened :(

Any ideas on how I could get the rest to open up or should I just wait a bit longer. I tried a freshwater dip in RODI heated water for 10 minutes to try get rid of any bugs that might be annoying them.

Water parems are stable to usual

TYIA!

Inkedzoas_LI.jpg

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your best to be more patient and allowing them to adjust to the new tank. The combination of a new environment, alongside a dip is surely a bit stressful.

Monitor them, shine a red light on them, keep an eye out for pest, etc is all great. Avoiding touching them and relocating them and so forth is even better. Best of luck to you and hope they turn around for ya

OP
OP
DSFa

DSFa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your best to be more patient and allowing them to adjust to the new tank. The combination of a new environment, alongside a dip is surely a bit stressful.

Monitor them, shine a red light on them, keep an eye out for pest, etc is all great. Avoiding touching them and relocating them and so forth is even better. Best of luck to you and hope they turn around for ya
For sure, I probably stressed them out too much, gave them 2 days rest and chilling on the bottom sandbed before i tried glueing them to a rock, first they opened for a day or so then they started closing :((

Seems like you're right I definitely startled them, I gave them a dip a week or two later since they didn't look so good.

Sucha bummer I'll be more patient next time I get some zoa frags, How long would you suggest roughly to leave them before glueing them to allocated places?

Thanks man much appreciated!

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucha bummer I'll be more patient next time I get some zoa frags, How long would you suggest roughly to leave them before glueing them to allocated places?

Thanks man much appreciated!

Hey nothing to beat yourself up over, you did the right things, just a bit of timing that could be better is all!

Once you receive the frag, float then dip in a coral specific solution straight away before putting it in your tank. This is always best practice. I would not recommend a FW dip be your first line of defense in a dipping routine, but rather ReVive or ReefDip, etc etc

Once that has completed, just place them on your sand bed for a few days, then monitor until they open up and adjust. Here's the thing - what if there were pests on them again, but you already glued them to the rocks? You'll have to rip & dip again. In the case of laying them on your sand bed , you can easily remove as needed. I would say the only time frame here is the one that makes you feel most comfortable and ready to place that forever frag down. There's no set hour or days, it's just "Hey this coral has been dipped, is pest free, and looks to be as happy as ever. Lets put it in it's forever home"

Good luck!

OP
OP
DSFa

DSFa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey nothing to beat yourself up over, you did the right things, just a bit of timing that could be better is all!

Once you receive the frag, float then dip in a coral specific solution straight away before putting it in your tank. This is always best practice. I would not recommend a FW dip be your first line of defense in a dipping routine, but rather ReVive or ReefDip, etc etc

Once that has completed, just place them on your sand bed for a few days, then monitor until they open up and adjust. Here's the thing - what if there were pests on them again, but you already glued them to the rocks? You'll have to rip & dip again. In the case of laying them on your sand bed , you can easily remove as needed. I would say the only time frame here is the one that makes you feel most comfortable and ready to place that forever frag down. There's no set hour or days, it's just "Hey this coral has been dipped, is pest free, and looks to be as happy as ever. Lets put it in it's forever home"

Good luck!

Thanks bro, rough lesson to learn none the less.

Oh I see alright i'll have a look into dips more, just a noob starting off haha

Yeah you're right that would be a pain to fix much easier lifting it off the bed, this makes alot more sense and the routines much less stressful for the corals. I thought they were hardier unlike fishes etc but guess now i know haha.

Thank you for your time and knowledge boss! :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back