Zoas randomly stopped opening up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ChiefReef57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for the last 3 weeks my zoas seem unhappy and almost appear to be shrinking. I do regular weekly water changes and did a larger one this week to see if anything changed and they still aren’t happy. Parameters are listed below

Alk-8.7

Nitrate-1.0

Calc- 480

Phos- 0 but there is some algae in the tank so I think it’s just untraceable

Mag- 1430

Salinity- 1.026

Temp -78

PH- 8.2

66FDEBC2-CD8F-43DF-B203-6222C95018AF.jpeg 46EFBD2E-71CB-497F-9FDA-6D3F8AC075E1.jpeg 60E27A59-BB0E-4882-8857-A887E06F2524.jpeg 62826C4E-821B-4A7B-82E0-BE7937A63DFE.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Salinity slightly high ( 1.025 best)
Mag very high (1300-1350 safe range)
Zoas must have iodide, not iodine in their water and under moderate light and water flow. They seem to do best in the lower half to third of the tank in an area of low-medium to medium-high flow. Too much flow may make it hard for the polyps to open. You will know your zoanthids are ‘happy’ if they open up and are fully extended without seeming to stretch so far upright.. The majority of zoanthids have symbiotic photosynthetic zooxanthellae and are therefore best kept with at least moderate aquarium lighting as mentioned for production of zooxanthellae.
Zoanthids require the standard water parameters that are good for keeping just about any of your corals healthy. You’re aiming for:
Water temperature about 78 F
Salinity somewhere around 1.025 specific gravity
Alk 8-11 dKH)
pH around 8.1-8.3.
However, if your polyps were previously open and have recently closed up, this should be taken as a serious sign of a water parameters issue. The first things I would check are ph and salinity. In my experience, zoas will close up if there are swings in salinity.

OP
OP
C

ChiefReef57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity slightly high ( 1.025 best)
Mag very high (1300-1350 safe range)
Zoas must have iodide, not iodine in their water and under moderate light and water flow. They seem to do best in the lower half to third of the tank in an area of low-medium to medium-high flow. Too much flow may make it hard for the polyps to open. You will know your zoanthids are ‘happy’ if they open up and are fully extended without seeming to stretch so far upright.. The majority of zoanthids have symbiotic photosynthetic zooxanthellae and are therefore best kept with at least moderate aquarium lighting as mentioned for production of zooxanthellae.
Zoanthids require the standard water parameters that are good for keeping just about any of your corals healthy. You’re aiming for:
Water temperature about 78 F
Salinity somewhere around 1.025 specific gravity
Alk 8-11 dKH)
pH around 8.1-8.3.
However, if your polyps were previously open and have recently closed up, this should be taken as a serious sign of a water parameters issue. The first things I would check are ph and salinity. In my experience, zoas will close up if there are swings in salinity.
Thank you for this! I’ve been monitoring ph and salinity a lot. There was a slight swing in salinity. Some have said it’s not enough light as well

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feel like that as well but I have two ai primes running similar setting to a lot of others
Ai Prime:

White 18%
Blue 95%
red 3%
Green 4%
violet 90%
UV 70%

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Phos being 0 will do it. I run high end zoa tanks. 9 times out of 10 when my zoas are closed its due to low nutrients. Saliny and mag is fine.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Phos being 0 will do it. I run high end zoa tanks. 9 times out of 10 when my zoas are closed its due to low nutrients. Saliny and mag is fine.
you think his nitrates being 1 is also a factor? i was thinking that as well

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
you think his nitrates being 1 is also a factor? i was thinking that as well
Nutrients in general being low. I have had zoas completely close with 0 phos. Dose some that day and next morning they were open. I would keep nitrates in 5 to 10 range. Phos .05 area

Townsaquaria

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll make it easy for you. It's the 0 phosphate. Don't run any phosphate removal media. I had a thriving zoa reef until I added phosphate removal media thinking it would get rid of my algae. Instead, I kept my algae and all of my zoas closed up and never opened again. Even a month after I took out the media. I ended up giving everything away and giving up on zoas and didn't try them again until I reset my tank from scratch and set up two others.

OP
OP
C

ChiefReef57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
I'll make it easy for you. It's the 0 phosphate. Don't run any phosphate removal media. I had a thriving zoa reef until I added phosphate removal media thinking it would get rid of my algae. Instead, I kept my algae and all of my zoas closed up and never opened again. Even a month after I took out the media. I ended up giving everything away and giving up on zoas and didn't try them again until I reset my tank from scratch and set up two others.
This makes a lot of sense cause I just added some recently.. I’m gonna take it out and hope

OP
OP
C

ChiefReef57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’ll try to dirty it up a little maybe do water changes every other week instead of weekly

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back