Zoas - What is "proper nutrition"

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep reading that in order to grow Zoas/Palys they need "proper nutrition or nutrients"

What EXACTLY is proper nutrients?

Fresh saltwater elements nutrients from water changes?

Broadcast feeding a supplement? (like zooplankton)
Target feeding a supplement?
What supplement are you feeding?

There seems to be no "best practices" among zoa collectors

Looking LOTS OF PPL to chime in

Last edited:

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last year I only fed my fish frozen foods. Mainly Mysis and LRS reef frenzy/fish frenzy. Many of my zoas went from 1 polyp frags to colonies that are close to 200+ polyps. I think that they got a lot of food from the fish via poo and the extra food that was too small for the fish to eat. I recently started spot feeding several zoas that have not taken off with reef roids. In the last month my PPE went from 11 polyps to 15 and it took them an entire year to go from 2 to 11 without feeding reef roids.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my own experience, it seems that zoas can thrive off of their zooxanthellae so they only will need light.

However, I found that mine grew faster when I started using Reef Energy (amino acids) and @Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast, Phyto-Feast, and R.O.E. even though I do not target feed my zoas and allow them to filter food out of the water column.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of mine do grab reefroids with mucous and swallow it up, and seem to grow a bit faster if fed, or its my imagination and brain tricking itself into thinking that almost 20 dollar container of shrimp smell powder was not a waste. :p

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me that my zoas grow a lot faster then "normal" when I feed. I do broadcast home cultured fresh phyto every day, and I feed the fish heavily so they will catch some of that. Also when I feed the fish I take the "juice" that's left over from the frozen food thawing and squirt it over them, full of small particulate that they seem to love.

I do spot feed them 2-3 times a week with a Reef Roid/Polyp Booster/Genesis paste that they absolutely love.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do spot feed them 2-3 times a week with a Reef Roid/Polyp Booster/Genesis paste that they absolutely love.
Almost the same as my growout tank. I have to say, since I have only a few small few small fish in there, it has made a huge difference. Growth is awesome. Most zoas are now popping numerous heads a few times a week, as opposed to a few new ones a month with only water changes and light for food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back