Zooxanthellae Transplant for Bleached Anemones

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones and other photosynthetic corals obtain their complement of Zooxanthellae from the water column in the wild. In many case , with stress Anemones can completely loose all of their Zooxanthellae. In case like this, we can jump-start the process by feeding them with live viable Zooxanthellae from another animal of the same species if at all possible. I have done multiple procedure like this in my 40 years of keeping reef aquarium. I like to document this here. This tread should help many reefers, some how ended up with a bleached anemone.
Tridacna farmers also feed new young clams by pulverize and adult clam and mixed it in the water of baby clam tanks. Baby clams will take these Zooxanthellae internally and establish their own Zooxanthellae population. This is a very straight forward procedure and very easy to perform as documented below.

1. Below is a small completely Bleached S. gigantea anemone I got from Petco. He is healthy in every way except completely bleached.
Zooxanthellae transplant 3.jpg

2. Obtained a tentacle from my healthy donor. Since my anemone is so small, I will just use a small piece of fish, and just use 1 tentacle. Gigantea are really sticky so getting a tentacles or two is not difficult. Zooxanthellae are puny little organism. We need to keep the condition stable for them to survive. If we don't they just die and we can do all of these for nothing. I learn to keep the tentacle in most solution. If the salt solution just dry out a little, the change in salinity will kill the Zooxanthellae. Keep them in small amount of tank water and use it quickly. Imagine just 20% of a tiny amount of water evaporated, the resulting shift in salinity of the salt water left behind can be drastic indeed.
Zooxanthellae transplant 1.jpg

3. Stuff the tentacle into a piece of food, salmon in this case. As with salinity, temperature shock can do the Zooxnthellae in. I would soak the salmon in tank water to keep the temperature up to tank temperature. Still cold or still frozen Salmon will not do. The ice crystal in the salmon can dilute the salt water in the tentacle, the temperature shock can kill the Zooxanthellae. Both of these problem can be solve by soak the salmon, or other fish in tank water until temperature equalized.
Zooxanthellae transplant 2.jpg

4. Picture of my anemone before I feed him the Zooxznthallae laced food was the first picture above. Bellow are pictures of him eating the Zooxanthellae food.
Zooxanthellae transplant 4.jpg

Zooxanthellae transplant 5.jpg

Zooxanthellae transplant 6.jpg

5. After about 2 weeks, you should see the first sign of Zooxanthellae repopulate the tentacles of the bleached anemone. It looks like the tentacles are getting "dirty" as show in the picture below
Zooxanthellae transplant 7.jpg

6. More Zooxanthellae
Zooxanthellae transplant 8.jpg

7. Finally a fully healthy S. gigantea
Zooxanthellae transplant 9.jpg

Hope this article can help some reefers rescues and bring a bleached anemone back to health.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As always, great info from @OrionN! Thanks so much for sharing this!

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always, great info from @OrionN! Thanks so much for sharing this!
Thanks
How exactly are you obtaining the donor? Just let it sting you and pull away quickly, tearing it off? Or are you cutting it somehow?
Gigantea are really sticky. Yes, that was exactly how I did it.
Thanks for sharing.
Im curious, if you DID NOT perform this transplant, would the nem acquire the zooxanthellae another way?
Normally I don't consider the anemone completely bleached unless the zooxanthellae does not come back after been healthy of about 6 weeks.
They may get the zooxanthellae from the water, but in captivity, often they don't. Before I did this I have had bleached anemones for many months, especially BTA. Have to feed them regularly

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the color of the donor affect the eventual color of the recipient? For example if the donor is red does the recipient develop a red color or go back to its original color?
It would be super cool if it did! Imagine getting a bleached BTA, feeding one tentacle from a RBTA and one tentacle from a green bta at the same time and this worked!!! Grafted nem???

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the color of the donor affect the eventual color of the recipient? For example if the donor is red does the recipient develop a red color or go back to its original color?
It would be super cool if it did! Imagine getting a bleached BTA, feeding one tentacle from a RBTA and one tentacle from a green bta at the same time and this worked!!! Grafted nem???
The golden brown color of coral and anemones are the color of Zooxanthellae and the pigmented protein color, red, blue, purple... ect. are the color of the anemone that is genetically determined. So the anemone just return to it's intrinsic genetically determined colors. Sorry no ultra anemone from a basic brown carpet.
Thats really fascinating, did not know clam farmers did that. Thanks for sharing!
You are welcome
Really cool! Thanks for sharing. Does this work for every kind of anemone?
All photosynthetic corals and anemones.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry, just a question, but I have a bleached out hammer right now. If I were to feed it a small piece of my nem would that work or would it just kill the hammer? Should I use a tentacle from a different hammer? Does it matter walling or branching? Sorry but this is so cool!!

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry, just a question, but I have a bleached out hammer right now. If I were to feed it a small piece of my nem would that work or would it just kill the hammer? Should I use a tentacle from a different hammer? Does it matter walling or branching? Sorry but this is so cool!!
I think any Euphyllia should be fine, or even put the near touching each other would help.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think to complete the experiment and fully draw a conclusion, you must have another bleached gigantea and not feed it.
Bleached anemone will often gain its color back without any feeding if it's healthy enough to do so.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think to complete the experiment and fully draw a conclusion, you must have another bleached gigantea and not feed it.
Bleached anemone will often gain its color back without any feeding if it's healthy enough to do so.
He said that in his original post, he doesn’t even consider a nem bleached until it’s been bleached for 6 months. He briefly touches on how bleached anemones usually recover, he’s just saying that this is a way to get them healthy much faster because bleached nems are a pain in the butt to take care of due to the feeding requirements

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said that in his original post, he doesn’t even consider a nem bleached until it’s been bleached for 6 months. He briefly touches on how bleached anemones usually recover, he’s just saying that this is a way to get them healthy much faster because bleached nems are a pain in the butt to take care of due to the feeding requirements
I usually don’t do this until the anemone have been healthy for about 2 months or so and not regain color.
I think most of us who keep anemones have had anemones that stay bleached for ever.
It can’t hurt really. Instead of getting one or two Zooxanthellae from the water of there is any available, you can stuff them with several thousand at one shot.
I reliably het color back 10-14 days after transplant.
I actually failed when I did this exact time because I was doing it too slow, worry about documenting and take pictures. Once I see that it failed I just did it again and get the color to come back in about w weeks like all the other times.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back